Anybody here into analogue photography?

Before learning "analogue photography", should I learn how to use a digital camera?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Not necessarily

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 19
I have to agree with some of the others here and say that it would be better to learn on digital.

I started shooting when I was 11 or 12, so over 40 years ago for me. Of course, I started on film, I still own two film cameras (Nikon F2A and F4s) but I find no reason to use them today. Learning on a film camera is like learning to drive with a manual transmission - it can be done, but why make things harder than they need to be? Digital gives you immediate feedback so you can see what you are doing right or wrong instantly, instead of waiting days or weeks.

I don't know your budget but if it allows, I would recommend starting with a Fuji X-T1 with 23mm f/2 lens. That combo can be had used for around $500 US and all important settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) are dials and can be seen at a glance from the top of the camera.

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 19
I learned on film as a teenager. It was a precious hobby to me. The concepts transfer really well to digital. However you learn a lot faster on digital, and you don't pay for every frame you shoot, and the picture quality is much more flexible. With digital you look and you say wow, I messed up, and you try again, in terms of composition, exposure, focus, etc. With film you are much more stuck with your shot and you have to wait a week to see that the back of some guy's head ruined all of your shots.

What would I recommend that is not too expensive if you are starting out. . . a Canon SL2 DSLR I think, just to throw something out there.

I have to agree with some of the others here and say that it would be better to learn on digital.

I started shooting when I was 11 or 12, so over 40 years ago for me. Of course, I started on film, I still own two film cameras (Nikon F2A and F4s) but I find no reason to use them today. Learning on a film camera is like learning to drive with a manual transmission - it can be done, but why make things harder than they need to be? Digital gives you immediate feedback so you can see what you are doing right or wrong instantly, instead of waiting days or weeks.

I don't know your budget but if it allows, I would recommend starting with a Fuji X-T1 with 23mm f/2 lens. That combo can be had used for around $500 US and all important settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) are dials and can be seen at a glance from the top of the camera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back