Anybody successfully managed to disconnected the stock Westone UM3X RC cable connectors with out breaking them in the process.
Feb 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fungus

1000+ Head-Fier
I've just bought a pair and can't seem to pull the connectors out. Should I use some tweezes? 
Are the pins really that tight and will the sockets expand after successive replacements and get loose and loose connection over time like the universal ultimate ears series? . 

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Westone has how-to videos on their site: http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/how-to-videos.html

You gently pull the connector left and right until you can pull it out.

The socket can loosen over time if you frequently change the cables, yes.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Are you replacing the cable? Why would you want to pull the connectors out? Yes, repeated disconnects will weaken the seal.

Yes but in the future after the stock cable gets worn out. I'm curious to see what kind of connectors the UM3X uses. I've heard stories from triplefi.10 owners where the connectors sockets ended up getting pulled out yet no complains of either of these issues from Westone owners. So purchasing an cable replacement from Westone and not a third party one will prolong the lifespan of my UM3X? 

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 5
The reason you read so many reports about triple fi sockets being ripped out is because of the design, the socket on TF10 is only heavily glued on to the outside of the shell, upward pressure pulls it away from the shell and when the pins are very tight, quite a flawed design IMO.

Having had 3 pairs of triple fi and changed the cable they can take some strain. The most important thing to remember when removing a cable is to wiggle left/right gently while pulling up, never clean and jerk a plug straight out of the socket as the wiggling process is important to let the pins work there way out slowly rather than force them in one clean pull which in turn pulls on the socket.

Westone sockets are designed differently how they're seated in the shells, so you shouldn't be ripping them out in a hurry. As the others have mentioned, sockets do where out over many cable changes, only remove the cable when absolutely required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back