Anybody who says Grado's don't have enough bass is silly!
May 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
I just bought a pair of SR-60's for recabling in the silver I use for my UE cables... and before I even gut these, I'm listening to "Human After All" by Daft Punk from my modded X-fi [Op-amps and black gate cap] and jesus, these things have great bass impact!

This is before I even so much as look at any EQ settings mind you. I'm not bashing any other headphones out there but honestly after all these years I've had an SR-225 and now revisiting these with the donut pads, I'm wondering why I even bothered! I remember the first time I owned these WHILE owning
Sennheiser CX-300s and I found these unimpressive but after years of silver cabled 225 and HD580 goodness, I'm fairly certain I was pretty damn wrong. I was always afraid to recommend these to people because they didn't have enough bass, but these are still hands down the best cans for under 100 regardless of how old they are or what else is on the market.

Time for the recable while I listen to some Paul Gilbert...
xWUeD.jpg

I WOULD consider selling off the HD580 if it weren't so dang comfortable...

Have a great day folks!

PS

Yes, they are uncomfortable.

May 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 47

Quote:
I find the HF2 an exception.  They have oodles of bass. 

Seconded. (although I haven't heard Grado's other offerings)  Best bass I've personally heard from an open-backed headphone and can hold its own with some pretty stiff closed competition.  Controlled, impactful, textured, and oh so fun without being in any way overwhelming.  Great stuff.

May 10, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 47
Agreed,I am always pleasantly surprised when I whip out my SR-60s.  Even though they don't have any sub-basement bass of which to speak, their regular basement bass is accurate enough to make good hip-hop fun.  I must say I also had an unexpectedly pleasant listening experience with my wife's iGrados as well a couple of nights ago.  When I plugged them into my iPhone I thought it was going to be a horror show, but I actually had some fun with the punchier rock in particular.  That's gotta be the best headphone that $50 can buy, though it's been a while since I last heard another $50 retail set of cans (no thanks to this forum)!

May 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 47
IDK man, I really start to miss sub-bass in rap, hip-hop, psytrance, dub, etc when I'm jamming with Grados. They have very acceptable bass quality, but quantity and extension just isn't there.

May 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 47
Being a audiophile newbie and slowly getting into the hobby, I was fortunate enough to find a local shop that had SR60s in stock. The guy had several Grados on display, and the first thing that came to my mind (and right now), is "Why can't all headphones sound this good!" 
atsmile.gif
. The 'comfort' part of it is not there...but then again, no pain no gain. 

Of coarse, I'm coming from using a a demo pair of Bose triport OEs for the last 4 years. 

May 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 47

Agreed on the Sub-Bass thing. Every frequency response chart of a grado HP seems to have plenty of mid bass but severe roll-off in the sub-bass region. On headroom for example, you can seepretty much every non-IEM Grado has a -10db or larger roll off by 20hz. It would be fine if I only listened to rock or jazz(not classical imo because organs and large drums sound dissappointing without sub bass), but for my variety of tastes the SR60i is lacking too much in the <30hz region. Movies, Modern Hip-Hop, Rap, Organs, Some Drums, Dubstep, and much Drum and Bass are rendered hard to enjoy without the sub bass.

May 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 47
I'm enjoying the bass on my newly aquired Grado SR225i's very much. It's punchy, detailed and not at all lacking in my opinion. It could be said some recordings lack body when played back through the 225's vs. say via the HD 650, but this has been a problem mainly confined to some old recordings in my experience. The bass is there when called for, but it doesn't have that omni-present full-bodied sound of the HD 650.

I agree it's not a headphone for bass-heads but I also don't agree it's an overly bright headphone - it has plenty of warmth.

May 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 47
I loved the bass when I first got my Sr225i. Granted, they were my first entry in hifi headphones. I vented the drivers on them now and the bass is even better! Feels much deeper, richer and airy after the mod.

May 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 47
Yeah actually I find that 80's metal sounds pretty anemic through these headphones, moreso than my HD580s.

But yeah I tend to listen to music with actual instruments so detail and instrument decay are also something I get in spades with these, I just use computer speakers whenever I want to feel sub-bass.

May 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 47
I find 80's metal/rock pretty anemic on anything, mind you. Had a listen to a couple of vinyl rips of The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Scorpions... only trace amounts of bass. I'm not sure if it's a vinyl characteristic or just the way music back then was recorded, or both, but if looking to test bass I'd much rather put up some modern day electronic stuff that actually uses that frequency range.

May 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 47

Quote:
I find 80's metal/rock pretty anemic on anything, mind you. Had a listen to a couple of vinyl rips of The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Scorpions... only trace amounts of bass. I'm not sure if it's a vinyl characteristic or just the way music back then was recorded, or both, but if looking to test bass I'd much rather put up some modern day electronic stuff that actually uses that frequency range.

It's definitely not a vinyl characteristic.  I'm assuming from both that comment and your handle (what a bargain for such a fun car BTW) that you didn't grow up listening to vinyl like we old guys did.  It's the highly compressed 80s' metal/rock crappy recording that is the likely culprit.  For some reason 80's pop/rock music recordings are spectacularly poor, no matter what the medium.  The sound engineers ruined a lot of good music for posterity back then.

May 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 47
Grados don't have enough bass.

Call me silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back