Anyone else waiting for a "Successor" to a favorite headphone?
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been thinking about this for a little while and I've decided to see if anyone else is the same...

Are any of you waiting for a "Successor" to any of your previous favorite headphones? 

I've tried out quite a few headphones since my first favorites, the Audio Technica ATH-M50's - but I've never found something with quite the sound signature / design combo that I've been looking for. Therefore, I've almost completely resigned myself to waiting for Audio Technica to update/refresh the M50 line-up, or maybe simply create a new flagship "ATH-M60."

Am I waiting for something that won't happen? Should I "move on"? 

How about you guys, any headphones you'd love to see updated or made better? 

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 32
Yes.
A non limited version of the W3000ANV. Aka the W5000X.

I know the W5000 gets so much crap here but seriously it was one of the few headphones that wow'ed me on my favorite songs/recordings. The W3000ANV was just as impressive (though more polite sounding), but twice as expensive.

Also the W5000 has been climbing in price ever since I sold mine two years ago. I bought mine used for $400, when new pairs were around $650-700. Now new pairs are more around $800-900. I mean, I love the W5000 but I won't pay $900 for them.

That and maybe a HD700 without the peaky treble.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 32
I'm - in all honestly - very depressed over Audio Technica's announcements at CES 2014. I guess I can only hope they update their studio monitors and serious headphones like the ATH-M50 and others later down the road..

Ahh.. Just imagining a sleek, sexy, updated ATH-M60 gets me excited. Audio Technica seems the be one of the only main manufacturers to not be getting into the high-end semi-portable market.. Which is a shame. I want to see a Momentum/K500/etc killer.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 32
  Yes.

I know the W5000 gets so much crap here but seriously it was one of the few headphones that wow'ed me on my favorite songs/recordings. The W3000ANV was just as impressive (though more polite sounding), but twice as expensive.

I didnt like the W3000ANV as much as i loved the W5000 so i hope the successor of the W5000 won't have too many similarities. Soundstage, imaging and vocal presentation was another league compared to the W3000ANV in my opinion. I'd actually prefer they go another route and release something fresh, a W6000 or something similar. I also wouldn't mind a mass market L3000 variant without the leather.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 32
  I'm - in all honestly - very depressed over Audio Technica's announcements at CES 2014...Audio Technica seems the be one of the only main manufacturers to not be getting into the high-end semi-portable market.. Which is a shame. I want to see a Momentum/K500/etc killer.

Um...have you heard about the ATH-ES10, ATH-ESW11LTD, etc.? In the ears of some listeners, some of the very best portables ever to grace the Earth, and definitely in a higher league sound quality-wise than the Momentum.

Personally, I'm eager to see what else AT produces in the portable line-up using their high-end 53mm drivers...

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 32
Um...have you heard about the ATH-ES10, ATH-ESW11LTD, etc.? In the ears of some listeners, some of the very best portables ever to grace the Earth, and definitely in a higher league sound quality-wise than the Momentum.

Personally, I'm eager to see what else AT produces in the portable line-up using their high-end 53mm drivers...
Meh, I tested all the ath portables and imho only goid price/performance one is the ES-700

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 32
Yes.

Also the W5000 has been climbing in price ever since I sold mine two years ago. I bought mine used for $400, when new pairs were around $650-700. Now new pairs are more around $800-900. I mean, I love the W5000 but I won't pay $900 for them.

That and maybe a HD700 without the peaky treble.

Yes.

I didn't like the W3000ANV as much as I loved the W5000 so I hope the successor of the W5000 won't have too many similarities. Soundstage, imaging and vocal presentation was another league compared to the W3000ANV in my opinion. I'd actually prefer they go another route and release something fresh, a W6000 or something similar. I also wouldn't mind a mass market L3000 variant without the leather.
Agreed. They might be preparing a W8000 or W9000, and beat the generally recognized reference closed headphones, the Fostex TH900 in SQ, with a W5000 design or better (don't like the W3000ANV or W1000X designs so much) & a new iteration of the handy W5000 travel case.

Mmh, yes, some none LTD ESW11 for instance would be interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back