Anyone having problems with their optical mouse?
Aug 20, 2007 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

XGJFilmsX

100+ Head-Fier
I got this new optical mouse and a new mouse pad with it and they don't seem to work properly. Whenever i use the mouse on this pad it either does not register the movement or it freaks out and flies across the screen. Then when i use it without the pad it works fine. I think it's the pattern on the mouse pad, it could be dispersing the laser in unusual directions.
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Hmm... that's odd. If it were a laser mouse, I could see how it could have trouble with the mousepad, but all mousepads should work with optical mice. The only suggestion I have is to see if there's any new firmware for your mouse.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... that's odd. If it were a laser mouse, I could see how it could have trouble with the mousepad, but all mousepads should work with optical mice. The only suggestion I have is to see if there's any new firmware for your mouse.

Yea i dont really know why it works fine without a mouse pad.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 18
Uh, what kind of mousepad is it?

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 18
I think it has to do more with the color of the mousepad than anything else. I remember using my logitech MX500 with a magazine as pad once, while it worked fine at the beginning it did manifest the symptoms mentioned when used on a certain area of the magazine that has a ceratin color. I didn't bother to find out which color it was and it was a long time ago. It could have also been the fast transition between different colors while sliding the mouse. Something to do with the reflection maybe?

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One major selling point of laser tracking technology in mice is that laser works with a lot more surfaces than optical.. You got it backwards
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 18
You're talking about errastic cursor movement, rihgt? What they called "cursor jumping"

It either flies out to the corner of the screen, or moves a little by little by itself.

That is quite common problem with low end optical mouse. they must have used cheap material, and I think that is why.

My MS blue mouse acted like it, while my wife's blue mouse didn't. I exchanged the mouse with the same thing, and the problem disappeared.
I recomend you exchange your mouse if you still able to do that, or buy another mouse.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 18
Laser is a lot higher resolution, I can't imagine it would have any problems, but optical doesn't work well on certain textured surfaces (the old Dell mousepads are notoriously bad) because of the way they reflect light.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Make sure there isn't like anything in the optical beam's way. I used to get hair and stuff in there back when we had a dog, and it would mess up the cursor.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18
i use a cisco systems gift silicon pad, never had a problem, if it causes you problems, return it to the store, get a logitech, a razer or a microsoft mouse,

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 18
The mouse pad you got there is good one. I tried that before, and had no problem with the pad.
As i told you before, that is mostly likely to be a mouse error. Cheap mouse often acts like that. Get the return or buy another mouse.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure there isn't like anything in the optical beam's way. I used to get hair and stuff in there back when we had a dog, and it would mess up the cursor.

That's the first thing I would look for. That's almost always the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back