Anyone recall a fictional spelunking story around 2002
Aug 8, 2007 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Darkestred

1000+ Head-Fier
I dont have much to go on, but this story was around the Internet sometime in 2001 or 2002 and possibly earlier.

In a nutshell a man uncovers a hole and decides to spelunk it. He took "pictures" of everything to make the story seem real. After exploring this hole, he notices a passage too small to navigate. After some equipment changes, he manages to make the hole wide enough to fit through.

Before he explores this new region of the hole, he decides to grab his video camera for documentation... blah blah blah comes back down and through he new passage...explores. As he's making his way back he notices the scenary has changed a bit, as if something else was down there. He hears faint growls. In a scurry he drops his camera and climbs up a rope. As he reaches the top, he feels tension on the rope.

After a week of this exploration he starts to have weird encounters at his house with odd looking creatures. One of the last entries in his journal was basically, i am going back down to that cave to fight whatever may be down there. I may not come back, but i want to let my family and friends know i love them.

Anyone remember this or heard of it?

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 28
Sorry I don't have the answer for you, but that sounds like a good book!

Now I want to know what book that is too!
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 28
I was so interested I started searching for it, but all I could find was this:

A truly nightmarish situation is now unfolding. Phil Schneider was a geologist, structural engineer and underground tunnelling expert for the US government and the UN. He participated in the construction of many DUMBS in North America and other countries. Phil was murdered by the CIA on January 17 1996 in his apartment in Wilsonville in Portland, Oregon.

In 1979 in Dulce New Mexico, Phil Schneider was drilling into the desert there to build an auxiliary base in the southern end of Dulce on top of an already existing underground base there. The already existing base had been built by the US government in the 1940’s under ’ operation blue note’ but afterwards had been taken over by greys and reptilians. Over a period of two days Phil and his team had drilled four holes in the desert that went down several thousand feet.

One of the holes kept bringing up dirty dust, putrid odours and broken off machine bits that were sent down the hole. Boring machines and lasers came back up damaged when they were sent down there. A probe was then sent down that came back up totally missing. Eventually people were sent down. Phil was the first person to go. He was lowered down into the cave and when he got down there, standing around ten feet away were two seven-foot greys. He became petrified but managed to empty one clip from his pistol into the greys. As he was reloading one of the greys hit Phil with some kind of particle beam weapon which gave him a very high dose of nuclear radiation poisoning, similar to cobalt radiation but even worse. Phil’s lung was burnt out of him and he has a huge scar running down his chest which he showed at his lectures which are available on video google.com. His fingers on his left hand were burnt off, his bones were burnt. He was basically cooked.

Awesome!

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 28
heh thats pretty cool. kina reminds me of that movie 'the descent'. actually a pretty good horror flick imo

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh thats pretty cool. kina reminds me of that movie 'the descent'. actually a pretty good horror flick imo

That was the first thing I thought of... could be The Cave too
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 28
Damn, i didnt think my bad wording would create a small buzz. I dont think it was written by an author. It was a website that was set-up in a journal format. Each entry was probably a page + in length and spanned roughly 3 weeks. It was written so well with pictures acting as curve balls which would make you ponder...this cant be real right? I think the story was called the cave. But, searching results in nothing.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 28
Now I really want to read this thing! Do post back if you find a link.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was so interested I started searching for it, but all I could find was this:

A truly nightmarish situation is now unfolding. Phil Schneider was a geologist, structural engineer and underground tunnelling expert for the US government and the UN. He participated in the construction of many DUMBS in North America and other countries. Phil was murdered by the CIA on January 17 1996 in his apartment in Wilsonville in Portland, Oregon.

In 1979 in Dulce New Mexico, Phil Schneider was drilling into the desert there to build an auxiliary base in the southern end of Dulce on top of an already existing underground base there. The already existing base had been built by the US government in the 1940’s under ’ operation blue note’ but afterwards had been taken over by greys and reptilians. Over a period of two days Phil and his team had drilled four holes in the desert that went down several thousand feet.

One of the holes kept bringing up dirty dust, putrid odours and broken off machine bits that were sent down the hole. Boring machines and lasers came back up damaged when they were sent down there. A probe was then sent down that came back up totally missing. Eventually people were sent down. Phil was the first person to go. He was lowered down into the cave and when he got down there, standing around ten feet away were two seven-foot greys. He became petrified but managed to empty one clip from his pistol into the greys. As he was reloading one of the greys hit Phil with some kind of particle beam weapon which gave him a very high dose of nuclear radiation poisoning, similar to cobalt radiation but even worse. Phil’s lung was burnt out of him and he has a huge scar running down his chest which he showed at his lectures which are available on video google.com. His fingers on his left hand were burnt off, his bones were burnt. He was basically cooked.

Awesome!

It sounded just-about passable until he started going on about city-sized bases four miles underground. Someone might have noticed that much earth being dug up with their nuclear drills!

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are some weird stories. I want one of those laser drills though, they sound like fun.

Me too. I'd set up one of those ear piercing kiosks in the mall with it and make a fortune:

"Go over by the Chick-fil-A® and stand REALLY still, sweetheart."

"Can my Mommy come with me?"

"No, it's too dangerous."

"Mommy, I'm scared."

"Ok, let's get a move on. This laser drill doesn't run off the fear of little girls."

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 28
Ted's Caving Story is what you seek. Creepy as hell.

As the web page was written a few years back, it's pretty obvious that "The Descent" was based on it. Too bad. Ted's story is so much scarier.

(post 600 for me!)

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 28
If you guys are interested in a similar story about descent into darkness and fear of the unknown, check out Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves.

That's what the OP's description immediately reminded me about, and the book was released in 2000.

Also... If you have a bit of time to kill, not the same sort of story, but check out the short story "The Rats in the Walls" by H. P. Lovecraft.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 28
Nice one, bhjazz. It does seem a bit ominous, but I'm only at the beginning.
tongue.gif
It's probably the color scheme of the site that is the foreshadowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back