Anyone tried k701 and Matrix M-Stage?
Aug 2, 2010 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

R300

Head-Fier
Still searching for the ideal amp for my k701. Recently tried the Chordette Toucan - great (really great) sound but couldn't drive the k701 loud enough!

Anyways, would love to know what people think of the M-Stage and k701. I like the idea of the gain controls, as I have a selection of iems and cans. If people think it's worth spending the extra on a genuine Black Cube I would also like to know!

I know it would probably be easier just to get different phones, but the Toucan has shown me what the k701 can do (a real shame it just wasn't loud enough). Honestly I prefered them to the HD800, although I note the senns probably need a better amp.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 28
I have the M-Stage > K702 combination and I must say it is a match made in heaven.
Although I have never heard the Black Cube, the M-Stage is a well built clone
that uses top notch components. And at a price point that cant be beat.
Why spend three to four times as much for the Lehmann?

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
I have the M-Stage > K702 combination and I must say it is a match made in heaven.

Can you tell us what gain you are using ?
I'm confused about this (Does it have an influence on signal quality ?)

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 28
I'm using a gain of 10.
Gain switch 1 up in #2 position, switch 2 down in #1 position.
I usually almost max the volume on this setting, that is plenty loud and clear for me.
(~105dB as tested on my SPL meter) The sound floor maintains total silence.
I'm also happy with the tonal signature on this setting.

Havent tried it yet but,
I've heard that a gain of 18 may work for the K701/2, but may color the sound sig differently.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 28

Quote:

I'm confused about this (Does it have an influence on signal quality ?)

I've read that it does.
10 is optimum for most low impedance phones including the K70x series.
18 is louder/ brighter, better suited for 300 ohm phones.
20 is too much, over the top and will probably distort unless you are running 600 ohm phones.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 28
I received my Matrix M Stage a few days ago, and it brings the K701 to a whole new level.  The headphones really come alive.  Bass has more impact and extends much deeper, any sibilance goes away, and soundstage opens up.  It truly is a great amp.

I also use mine on a gain setting of 10, but the fact that you nearly max your volume out is just nuts.  My volume is in the 9 o'clock position and that is plenty loud.  Some songs require an 11 or 12 setting, but to turn the volume knob all the way sounds crazy haha.

Anyways, you won't regret getting the Matrix.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:

I owned and love the Matrix but ther has been no head to head impression of it againt the Lehmann and always have been interested to see how close it is really. From SP Wild he said the opamp is soldered in the BCL and cannot be easily swapped. So for all anyone Knows the BCL could be in another league.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
I owned and love the Matrix but ther has been no head to head impression of it againt the Lehmann and always have been interested to see how close it is really. From SP Wild he said the opamp is soldered in the BCL and cannot be easily swapped. So for all anyone Knows the BCL could be in another league.

Does it mean the M-Stage can be modded with a better opamp ? (I'm a complete idiot in electronics)

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 28
Nov 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 28

Glad to hear it 
k701smile.gif

Quote:
Thank you again.

Burn-in is on its way and i'm already loving the combo.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 28
Mr.Noob here,
I have a Matrix M Stage with AKG Q701s, this system has good clean, deep bass, tight and punchy, 'phones are still burning in and smoothing out a bit, I estimate I have 200 hours on them, the amp never seems to run out of power even at ear busting levels (don't try this at home kids)...................but I'd like to try these phones with a tube amp someday.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 28
I bought a Matrix M-Stage for my K-701 and I didn't like it at all with my CD player. 
The K-701 sounded thin in the bass and sharp in the treble.
I bought a Audio-gd Master-6 to drive my HiFiMan HE-6 (that combo sounds terrific by the way, but is much, much more expensive).
Still having the K-701 around I plugged it into the single ended hp output of the Master-6 and wow! Now the treble was tamed and the bass was there - not overly so, but much more. The K-701 is a completely different animal - and yes, I was using the same CD player and interconnect cables.

In other words: the K-701 not only benefits, but in my experience needs much more power, than one should think when looking at the sensitivity and impedance.
If I should recommend anything, I would say look for headphone amps that has at least four times the output of the M-Stage: 1,5 watts in 62 Ohms.
I haven't heard the Schiit Lyr, but it is only $ 445,- and outputs more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back