Anyone tried Mapleshade Silclear?
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if ayone has tried Silclear -or any other contact enhancers for that matter- and if so how you found the results?

I'm thinking of buying some, mainly for the treatment of tube pins.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I bought the Silclear, and it does work, at least to my ears. I was actually not expecting much, so I don't think this is (all) psychosematic (sp?).

Anyways, what I heard predominatly was less grainy highs, MAYBE some of that into the mids as well. I tried it on RCA's only. Not sure how it'd work on tube pins.

Another place I will likely try it is on the power cord connectors.

My 2 cents....

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 14
I have used Deoxit for decades. It has never let me down.

Since it costs just a small fraction of what SilClear costs, to me that's the best way to go.

Deoxit web site

Buy Deoxit here

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Doesn't deoxit clean the connections while silclear gunks everything up? I've got some myself, and I must say that the gunky aspect of it sucks. As for the sound, it certainly doesn't hurt, but for me, any improvements are in the realm of cable land without impedance mismatches.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 14
I use silver particle pastes like MS Silclear on my speaker cables spade connectors, if you use silver/gold pastes elsewhere must be very careful to apply as directed and as Todd said messy and hard to remove later.

For ICs I use liquid enhancers and prefer Kontak over Caig products (Pro Gold etc)

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Deoxit and progold for years on every end of every cable. Cant speak on the sound improvment since anything new gets done before it goes in the system, and everything else gets done whenever things are down or every few months.
Its all shiny and clean and getting good connection all the time though.
cool.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 14
It seems that Deoxit has various products, and they are packaged in various ways (wipes, spray, brush-on liquid, etc.). Which of their products do you think matter, and what form of them do you think best?

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
It seems that Deoxit has various products, and they are packaged in various ways (wipes, spray, brush-on liquid, etc.). Which of their products do you think matter, and what form of them do you think best?

I use the Deoxit D5 5% solution on a regular basis. I also have a small bottle of the D100 100% solution that I will use if I get something that is showing some currosion on it. Both clean very well.
I then treat the conductors I have cleaned with the Deoxit with the progold 100% solution. This is now called the Deoxit Gold G100, but they are the same thing. Hope this helps. I use the sprays.

Aug 12, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the replies everyone, it sounds like it might be a bit more trouble than it's worth so I'll give it a miss at this point.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
Thanks for the replies everyone, it sounds like it might be a bit more trouble than it's worth so I'll give it a miss at this point.

Bosk,
Clean connections are always worth the trouble and one of the cheapest things you can do. Don't avoid it.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk

To do my entire system takes about one hour, two or three times a year. Well worth a couple hours a year to keep your investments (cables) in good shape.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Since we're on this topic, any opinions on Clearaudio RCA treatment? My dealer says it cleans and treats at the same time though I didn't query him further. It looks like a bottle of nail polish.

I used Phillips contact cleaner the last time I clean and some Japanese conduct enhancer (black colour). Any opinions on the Phillips, its actually quite affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back