aptX sender to enable wireless headphones?
Oct 30, 2020 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

griff500

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a Chord TT2 coming and it has aptX but only a receiver as far as I am aware.

Is there a high-quality device that would enable use of wireless headphones?

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Huawei Android 8 phone, some makes other as well. But aptx is not giving SQ. It is distorting at times.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Almost all Android smartphones these days support aptX (iOS only does SBC and AAC), but as said, aptX is kind of the minimum standard these days. You will get better SQ with aptX-HD and most noticeably LDAC. Of course, you still need both your source as well as the headphone supporting the BT codec.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 12
I meant from the TT2 to a set of wireless headphones.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 12
I meant from the TT2 to a set of wireless headphones.
I think you may be misunderstanding what you are doing here. Wireless headphones receive a digital signal (via Bluetooth). The DAC is in the headphones. You do not need an additional DAC. There is no part for an additional DAC to play here.

What is the source of whatever you want to listen to?

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 12
I think you may be misunderstanding what you are doing here. Wireless headphones receive a digital signal (via Bluetooth). The DAC is in the headphones. You do not need an additional DAC. There is no part for an additional DAC to play here.

What is the source of whatever you want to listen to?
I'm looking to use the output of the TT2 but instead of a cable I'd like to send it by bluetooth to wireless headphones. What have I misunderstood?

The source is an Auralic Aries G1, into the Chord M-Scaler and then into the Chord Hugo TT2, then off to headphones.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm looking to use the output of the TT2 but instead of a cable I'd like to send it by bluetooth to wireless headphones. What have I misunderstood?

The source is an Auralic Aries G1, into the Chord M-Scaler and then into the Chord Hugo TT2, then off to headphones.
The output of the TT2 is analogue.

The input of the wireless headphones is digital.

You would need a device which would digitise the output of your TT2, compress it using a Bluetooth CODEC and send it to the headphone. The latter would then decompress the Bluetooth signal and perform digital to analogue conversion on it before amplifying it so that you can here it.

The chain you propose would sound like any cheap DAP (e.g. Shanling M0) taking a USB feed (e.g. from your Auralic) and transmitting it via Bluetooth to your headphones.

The M-Scaler and TT2 would play no part in the resulting sound quality.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 12
The output of the TT2 is analogue.

The input of the wireless headphones is digital.

You would need a device which would digitise the output of your TT2, compress it using a Bluetooth CODEC and send it to the headphone. The latter would then decompress the Bluetooth signal and perform digital to analogue conversion on it before amplifying it so that you can here it.

The chain you propose would sound like any cheap DAP (e.g. Shanling M0) taking a USB feed (e.g. from your Auralic) and transmitting it via Bluetooth to your headphones.

The M-Scaler and TT2 would play no part in the resulting sound quality.
Yes, that is the question I was asking.

So you are saying that there is no way to use wireless headphones with my system other than out of the Auralic streamer and it would sound bad.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 12
Yes, that is the question I was asking.

So you are saying that there is no way to use wireless headphones with my system other than out of the Auralic streamer and it would sound bad.
Well it won't sound like a TT2 - with or without an M-Scaler. It will sound like whatever DAC is in the headphone but made worse by Apt-X compression.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 12
what you are asking is: how can you get the Chord TT2 to fit inside your headphones. Well, not what you were actually asking but in fact what you want... I suggest a good size hammer and vise. Maybe you can make it fit.

So; you're asking the wrong question. Bluetooth headphones are complex devices with a dac built in. Its like a complete stereo system. And therefore will never sound like quality headphones with a cable. You can't beat a cable (yet... it will probably take an extra 20 years or so).

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Bluetooth headphones are complex devices with a dac built in. Its like a complete stereo system. And therefore will never sound like quality headphones with a cable. You can't beat a cable (yet... it will probably take an extra 20 years or so).
Got it thanks. I've already ordered a cable. :thumbsup:

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 12
ok :jecklinsmile:
I know, those Bluetooth headsets can look tempting and have cool features (like active noise canceling). So much that I almost bought a pair against my better judgment. But i read (and heard) time and time again that the best wireless of any kind just reach mid-fi compared to regular. That might be the coolest thing for Apple sponsors, but I rather have the best quality for medium prices than the Apple way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back