Are d-JAYS worth £36.99
Jun 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nielo TM

100+ Head-Fier
I was out of the headphone market from the day I bought the HA-FXC50, but yesterday, I saw the d-JAYS for £36.99  and it's too tempting to ignore.

After searching long and hard, I've found multiple articles and reviews praising the d-JAYS. However, there are some disagreement in regards to soundstage and high-end. Some stated that it has one of the best soundstage for an IEM and others disagree. The same applies to high-end. Some state is has rolled-off highs but other state it's perfectly fine. I personally prefer warm and crisp sound with wide soundstage. I wish I can personally test the d-JAYS but it's not possible atm.

So is it worth it? Does it has the all three aspects I'm looking for?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Having used these as my primary headphones for the last 2 years, my honest opinion of it is that they definitely do not have best soundstage (assuming that by best, you mean big, please correct me if I am wrong though), in fact the size of the soundstage is only somewhat closer to good than great. What it does have is though reasonable imaging (as in you can hear where things are coming from), this is certainly helped by the speed of the notes owing partly to the balanced armature (BA) drivers within. 

The higher end for me fine. Don't get me wrong, it does roll off towards the higher end, but the overall quality the treble is quite pleasant, there is just enough sparkle and is well detailed to make it worthwhile to listen to.

Overall, I consider the d-Jays to be quite fun sounding. It is one of the warmer BA earphones around (though that's not really saying a lot), but there is good speed and detail. Bass lacks a little impact but makes up for in quality and have reasonable extension, and mids and vocals don't sound harsh at any point but is marginally more "centrestage" than other frequencies.

For £37, they're a bargain, considering I bought these for nearly twice that and I still thought it was a sweet deal =p

Anyway, hope that helps!

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 3
It does indeed help. Thank you taking your time to write such a detailed post. I've spoken to Play.com and apparently if I opened the box, I can't return it. So it's bit of a risk but I am so tempted to try them ^-^

If anyone is interested, here are the links

CX550

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8116294/Sennheiser-CX-550-Style-II-In-Ear-Headphones/Product.html

d-JAYS

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11724463/Jays-d-JAYS-In-Ear-Headphones-Black/Product.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back