Are Planar Magnetic headphones really better than dynamic one's, or is there a fundamental misconception going on?
Feb 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #76 of 85
Getting awfully defensive there. Oh so you've heard the d7200s then?

You asked me which other planars I've heard and I answered.

Nah its not an issue vs open and closed, issue of how punchy and hard the music hits, all the planars I've heard are weaker vs dynamic in this aspect. Agree to disagree.
Take a spin around the testing stats of say 5 random brands of closed dynamics and 5 random planar opens- lets keep it to over $500 per. Notice any trends? Then 5 open dynamics and 5 closed planars. A trend should be evident.
Have you heard my modded focal clear og?
What's the mod(s)?
If I wanted neutralish tuning, I guess I'd go with the he6se, but I find that to be boring. Fact of the matter is, the bass doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the dynamics I've heard, thats all I'm saying. No need to get defensive about it.
Just surprised when I run into this opinion, and its usually tied to closed back cans with pumped up bass. It gets really out there when someone throws another 10 db in from 100 Hz down - which isn't your thing.
I'll be bringing my modded d7200s to canjam, I really hope the he6se is there so I can compare :).
Make sure the HE-6 SE is getting at least 4 wpc @ 50 ohms, or its not really valid. A +3.5 db bass slope starting at 48 Hz with a Q of .9 on a parametric EQ should make them flat. Try something with drums at 7/4 and 11/8 (Bruford/Collins/Dennard), and a bass playing in and out of unison quickly. Your 7200's will not be as clean or quick, and under 50 Hz will not have comparable impact. Mid bass and upper bass the 7200 will likely play louder - which I assume you will assign a superior grade.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #77 of 85
While i have nothing against eq, i prefer not to use it.

I like the different signatures each headphone offers. And with what i currently have in my collection, i don't really feel the need to eq.
Yes.
Another reason is that i like to use dsd upsampling and it seems to distort more easily than with pcm.
Interesting.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #78 of 85
Take a spin around the testing stats of say 5 random brands of closed dynamics and 5 random planar opens- lets keep it to over $500 per. Notice any trends? Then 5 open dynamics and 5 closed planars. A trend should be evident.

What's the mod(s)?

Just surprised when I run into this opinion, and its usually tied to closed back cans with pumped up bass. It gets really out there when someone throws another 10 db in from 100 Hz down - which isn't your thing.

Make sure the HE-6 SE is getting at least 4 wpc @ 50 ohms, or its not really valid. A +3.5 db bass slope starting at 48 Hz with a Q of .9 on a parametric EQ should make them flat. Try something with drums at 7/4 and 11/8 (Bruford/Collins/Dennard), and a bass playing in and out of unison quickly. Your 7200's will not be as clean or quick, and under 50 Hz will not have comparable impact. Mid bass and upper bass the 7200 will likely play louder - which I assume you will assign a superior grade.
I don't know, all the closed back planars sound a bit of to me. I think open back suits planar drivers better.

Focal clear og mods - replaced driver wire and solder to 18awg solid core mundorf silver gold wire and mundorf sg supreme solder. Resoldered voice coil wires with mundorf sg supreme. A few small pieces of fo.q ta32 tape on the plastic under the ear pads helps to reign in the peakiness in the treble.

It's not only the bass volume but the characteristics that I'm more concerned with. As i said, the impact with which it hits, punchiness, which is a part of that. Texture, decay, weight, speed are also important. Maybe I'm just a bit more particular about bass than others.

I'll ask others for their opinion on regards to the d7200 vs he6se, although they are modded as well. Someone will be bringing a stick d7200 for comparison tho.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #79 of 85
I don't know, all the closed back planars sound a bit of to me. I think open back suits planar drivers better.
agreed
Focal clear og mods - replaced driver wire and solder to 18awg solid core mundorf silver gold wire and mundorf sg supreme solder. Resoldered voice coil wires with mundorf sg supreme. A few small pieces of fo.q ta32 tape on the plastic under the ear pads helps to reign in the peakiness in the treble.
admirably serious. I rewired my HFM HEX v2, but the bass impact still eludes them.
It's not only the bass volume but the characteristics that I'm more concerned with. As i said, the impact with which it hits, punchiness, which is a part of that. Texture, decay, weight, speed are also important. Maybe I'm just a bit more particular about bass than others.
I'm very serious about bass. I've built 6 subs in the past, and modified other speakers and headphones. Built audio rooms for myself and other to get the bass and other things right. Before I retired early and downsized my speakers were flat to 25 Hz.
I'll ask others for their opinion on regards to the d7200 vs he6se, although they are modded as well. Someone will be bringing a stick d7200 for comparison tho.
You already prefer them, be pretty shocked if they didn't continue that way. The HE-6 SE IMO has a great driver, but the pads and cables and even screen and headband are appropriate for the $399 Adorama price - mine have been fixed in that regard, not to mention the "fuzzor" mod and the use of dynamat to cut down excess bass resonances. So, the only "fair" battle would be your modded set vs. mine. So, its probably just one of those things that have to be left.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #80 of 85
agreed

admirably serious. I rewired my HFM HEX v2, but the bass impact still eludes them.

I'm very serious about bass. I've built 6 subs in the past, and modified other speakers and headphones. Built audio rooms for myself and other to get the bass and other things right. Before I retired early and downsized my speakers were flat to 25 Hz.

You already prefer them, be pretty shocked if they didn't continue that way. The HE-6 SE IMO has a great driver, but the pads and cables and even screen and headband are appropriate for the $399 Adorama price - mine have been fixed in that regard, not to mention the "fuzzor" mod and the use of dynamat to cut down excess bass resonances. So, the only "fair" battle would be your modded set vs. mine. So, its probably just one of those things that have to be left.
The clears have 24awg stranded spc wire from the factory. I had great results modding other headphones with the mundorf solid core silver/gold wire and supreme solder so I thought it would yield some nice benefits on the clears.

Thats quite impressive. I like big bass but I'm more of an SQ guy. Admittedly, very prissy about bass characteristics. I can't stand loose, boomy, flabby bass.

I'm very honest, if its better, I will not hesitate to admit so. I'm not a fanboy, I don't care if its better than my modded d7200s, if it is, then it is. But like I said I already demo'd them and I found them to be good overall, nice detail and resolution, technically excellent but the bass was lacking compared to what I'm used to.

I recommend trying the fo.q instead of dynamat. I've used various types of sound deadener in my cars over the years and once that stuff settles in, it does not come off. The fo.q works really well to absorb vibration and resonance and easily removeable. In my experimentation with it, I've found that the grain in alot of headphones (ie 58x) are a result of resonance which the tape can easily remedy.

If you're going to be at canjam nyc, you're welcome to give them a test drive and judge for yourself.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #81 of 85
The clears have 24awg stranded spc wire from the factory. I had great results modding other headphones with the mundorf solid core silver/gold wire and supreme solder so I thought it would yield some nice benefits on the clears.
Yeah they like 24, 26 ga for headphones. 22 or 20 for me. I just use O2 free cable, solder 63/37 and sometimes for complex joints toss on a little extra flux. Silver is hard to work with, and is fractional only anyhow and costs a bunch and is very toxic. If anyone uses it, I recommend outdoors with a steady breeze away from yourself.
Thats quite impressive. I like big bass but I'm more of an SQ guy. Admittedly, very prissy about bass characteristics. I can't stand loose, boomy, flabby bass.

I'm very honest, if its better, I will not hesitate to admit so. I'm not a fanboy, I don't care if its better than my modded d7200s, if it is, then it is. But like I said I already demo'd them and I found them to be good overall, nice detail and resolution, technically excellent but the bass was lacking compared to what I'm used to.
Me too, I've turned some real honest dislike on much equipment I've used and/or bought. A number of examples in my back pages here.
I recommend trying the fo.q instead of dynamat. I've used various types of sound deadener in my cars over the years and once that stuff settles in, it does not come off. The fo.q works really well to absorb vibration and resonance and easily removeable. In my experimentation with it, I've found that the grain in alot of headphones (ie 58x) are a result of resonance which the tape can easily remedy.

If you're going to be at canjam nyc, you're welcome to give them a test drive and judge for yourself.
fo.q - that's a new one, not much about it on line. I don't have issues with dynamat extreme re: removal. Sorbothane is the best per weight I've used, but the sheets do not stay stuck, however the round washer shaped stuff with the high duro ratings are quite useful.

Anyone that works on controlling resonances in headphones with care and insight is a serious voice.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #82 of 85
Yeah they like 24, 26 ga for headphones. 22 or 20 for me. I just use O2 free cable, solder 63/37 and sometimes for complex joints toss on a little extra flux. Silver is hard to work with, and is fractional only anyhow and costs a bunch and is very toxic. If anyone uses it, I recommend outdoors with a steady breeze away from yourself.

Me too, I've turned some real honest dislike on much equipment I've used and/or bought. A number of examples in my back pages here.

fo.q - that's a new one, not much about it on line. I don't have issues with dynamat extreme re: removal. Sorbothane is the best per weight I've used, but the sheets do not stay stuck, however the round washer shaped stuff with the high duro ratings are quite useful.

Anyone that works on controlling resonances in headphones with care and insight is a serious voice.
I use as low a gauge that will fit if possible with as good a quality wire I can afford. I found that silver / gold mixture wires really bring the sound to another level. Neotech or mundorf works great and aren't too pricey. If you can get your hands on some to play with, I recommend that mundorf SG supreme solder. I have a large spool of cardas eutetic solder that I've had for a while but decided to see if that mundorf solder makes any difference. Difference is huge.

All solder is pretty toxic, you don't want to breathe in any of that.

fo.q tape works very similar to sorbothane but its more powerful by volume. A small piece of it can outperform a big piece of sorbothane. It won't melt and get messy either.

The fo.q tape taught me alot about how sound resonates off of thin metals and cheap plastics. On some grainy headphones, when I took the driver out of the earcup, I noticed the sound wasn't grainy. On my sony z7m2, I applied and reapplied the tape in various configurations at least 50 times until I got it right.

It has other useful applications as well, especially for cleaner power. Theres some people experimenting with it in this thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-184#post-17390738

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #83 of 85
I use as low a gauge that will fit if possible with as good a quality wire I can afford. I found that silver / gold mixture wires really bring the sound to another level. Neotech or mundorf works great and aren't too pricey. If you can get your hands on some to play with, I recommend that mundorf SG supreme solder. I have a large spool of cardas eutetic solder that I've had for a while but decided to see if that mundorf solder makes any difference. Difference is huge.

All solder is pretty toxic, you don't want to breathe in any of that.
But silver is the worst - setting aside mercury, and perhaps lead.
fo.q tape works very similar to sorbothane but its more powerful by volume.
That's very interesting.
A small piece of it can outperform a big piece of sorbothane. It won't melt and get messy either.

The fo.q tape taught me alot about how sound resonates off of thin metals and cheap plastics. On some grainy headphones, when I took the driver out of the earcup, I noticed the sound wasn't grainy. On my sony z7m2, I applied and reapplied the tape in various configurations at least 50 times until I got it right.

It has other useful applications as well, especially for cleaner power. Theres some people experimenting with it in this thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-184#post-17390738

May 10, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #84 of 85

Did you definitely notice a difference with the ‘ better’ wire in your headphones?

The lengths of cable are super short.
But I have seen crazier things in audio.

legit question btw

I do need to try some more Planars as the only ones I tried were the Hifiman XS and didn’t like them.
Maybe I just don’t like planars

Cheers

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #85 of 85
Did you definitely notice a difference with the ‘ better’ wire in your headphones?

The lengths of cable are super short.
But I have seen crazier things in audio.

legit question btw

I do need to try some more Planars as the only ones I tried were the Hifiman XS and didn’t like them.
Maybe I just don’t like planars

Cheers
I thought so - but I could not not ABX, blind test, etc. So there is always expectation bias.

What sort of music do you listen to, what equipment? What speakers/headphones (open/closed back) do you like or not like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back