Are PX 200s that much worse than PX 100s?
Feb 5, 2006 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tostada

New Head-Fier
My GF needs new headphones for working out in a gym. She pretty much only likes smallish supra-aural headphones. Anything bigger is too big, she doesn't like things hanging off her ears, and the vertical headphones don't stay in too well for her.

The PX 100s look just about perfect, except she does complain about people turning up ESPN really loud in the gym, so it'd probably be better to have something that wasn't open. Not that you're going to get much of any isolation from any supra-aural phones, but closed has to be better.

The only similar ones I see people recommending besides the PX 100s are the PortaPros, which are also open (and she'd probably think they were embarrassingly ugly).

Are the PX 100s only better than the PX 200s because the 200s are closed? It looks like the 200s have a vinyl ring pushing up against your ear but the 100s have thick-looking foam which also might be more comfortable.

This is the most specific review I could find:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75338

Bangraman seems to say the PX 200s would be good for isolation, and they're a little bass-heavy, which is probably something she'd like. She's no audiophile. I guess, in that capacity, it's really more important that they be comfrotable and able to stay on her small head.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 25
The PX200 is good set. More detailed than stock buds but a bit thin sounding to the spoiled audiophile ear. The PX200 has noticeably tighter and cleaner bass. The PX100 tend to be boomy. That's me anyway since there seems to be more fans of the PX100. The mids in the PX200 are quite good and relatively detailed. I find the mids to be more pronounced in these cans as opposed ,say, to the distant sounding HD497. These cans are easy to drive which should give decent volume in Ipods. Overall, these are cans I can use on a daily basis. Light, conveniently storable, decent sounding. The only downside I can see is that the "pleather" pads might be a problem for sweaty ears (gym use right?).

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I'd be too worried about sweaty ears.

What about those hinges, though? That's a neat fold-up trick, but wouldn't it be easy for a girl to catch her hair in there? Maybe not in the gym since she has it in a ponytail.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 25
Well, I think one of the differences will be that the PX100 sounds more airier (it's an open cans)

I had the PX200 and to me it sounded quite thin because they are lacking in the mid and low bass. Definitely not the headphones you want if you are locking for bass with some oomph. I also don't think PX200 is suitable for running in the gym because it does not clamp very tightly to the head.

I think for a gym use, earbuds and street style headphones might be better. if you need isolation, I will rather go with a Sony MDREX71/81SL ($30) or better sounding and more expensive IEMs like Shure, Westone, Etymotic, Ultimate ears,and Altec Lansing IM series.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 25
I didn't like the PX-200 when I tried it. It sounded really thin, but that was probably because I didn't get a good seal with them and no seal means no bass. The PX-100's are a lot more forgiving in that respect. But, if you get a good seal, the PX-200's would be a decent gym choice if you didn't want to stick something in your ear. Otherwise, the MDR-EX71 is probably the best gym phone. Low weight, decent isolation, and cheap enough that you don't worry about breaking them.

The type of hinges on the PX series really don't catch hair, unlike the sliding bands of the PortaPro. If they do though, you can use scotch tape to cover up the hinges.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er
Well, I think one of the differences will be that the PX100 sounds more airier (it's an open cans)

I ask if the only difference is that the PX 100s are open, and you explain to me that the PX 100s are open?

Quote:

I think for a gym use, earbuds and street style headphones might be better. if you need isolation, I will rather go with a Sony MDREX71/81SL ($30) or better sounding and more expensive IEMs like Shure, Westone, Etymotic, Ultimate ears,and Altec Lansing IM series.

I say she doesn't like anything except supra-aural headphones, so you tell me to get street style or IEMs?

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
I didn't like the PX-200 when I tried it. It sounded really thin, but that was probably because I didn't get a good seal with them and no seal means no bass. The PX-100's are a lot more forgiving in that respect. But, if you get a good seal, the PX-200's would be a decent gym choice if you didn't want to stick something in your ear. Otherwise, the MDR-EX71 is probably the best gym phone. Low weight, decent isolation, and cheap enough that you don't worry about breaking them.

The type of hinges on the PX series really don't catch hair, unlike the sliding bands of the PortaPro. If they do though, you can use scotch tape to cover up the hinges.

Everybody either says the 200s are bass-heavy or they say they have no bass. I guess it's the seal, then. If they sound that bad without a good seal, I guess it would make them pretty questionable for the gym (at least by someone with a small head who might not get a good seal).

That headband looks like it's mostly plastic and couldn't be bent for a tighter fit.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tostada
I ask if the only difference is that the PX 100s are open, and you explain to me that the PX 100s are open?

I just wanna emphasize that a closed headphones like PX200 sound a lot less airy to me, which is bad. That's why I mentioned that again.

Quote:

I say she doesn't like anything except supra-aural headphones, so you tell me to get street style or IEMs?

Oops, sorry I missed the first part of your post. thanks for correcting me. Then you can consider tsome of the AKG's smallish supra-aural headphones then. I'm not familiar with them but they are pretty well regarded.

Just wanna try to give you a picture about PX200 sound. The thin and bass-lacking sound scare off many mainstream music listeners. I let many ppl like my females cousins and even my brother and they hated the PX200 just because of those sound signatures.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Everybody either says the 200s are bass-heavy or they say they have no bass. I guess it's the seal, then. If they sound that bad without a good seal, I guess it would make them pretty questionable for the gym (at least by someone with a small head who might not get a good seal).

Well, I actually had a rather large cranium and still couldn't find that bass. Probably I didn't get the good seal then for almost like 1 year. I liked them despite their flaws and used them a lot till something in the cable broke.

Feb 5, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Well, I actually had a rather large cranium and still couldn't find that bass. Probably I didn't get the good seal then for almost like 1 year. I liked them despite their flaws and used them a lot till something in the cable broke.

Hmm... Well, it's sounding like the 200s would definitely be something to try before you buy, and it doesn't look like Senn has anything else that's even closed.

I mean, she likes the saddest little Sony headphones that came with an old CD player. I'm just trying to get her something similar that will be a little better and hold up longer. I guess I should stick to things that look similar. Plain supra-aural headphones with foam rubber pads.

Maybe the Koss SportaPro? Looks similar to the KSC75 that everybody likes.

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 25
I'm one of those PX200 have no bass people. The bass is very restricted and doesn't really resonate. This might be why some people say the PX200 lack airiness, which is very true. The PX200 don't sound like tin cans at all. They have quite a rich sound midrange and pretty good highs. Lower midrange and general bass is what it lacks.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 25
(I get a good seal, so) I actually find that my PX200 sound BETTER than my PX100!
But 'better' is totally subjective . . . .
I find with the PX200's the bass is full and tight, not boomy like the PX100, and the mids are clean & clear.
Overall while the PX200 does not extend as far as the PX100, it sounds better to me.
They do however tend to slip and move on my head if I am too active which could be a problem at the gym.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 25
I find my PX200s do sound thin compared to my larger headphones and IEMs. That said, they aren't a bad little phone. Watch the For Sale forum to get the best price. That way if they don't work out, you aren't out much money. I can get a good seal with mine, so the sound is pretty good. It took some time for the little pads to conform to my ears. I find they stay on my head pretty good, but only if I tighten up the little cord thingy up under my chin. Maybe a set of earbuds? MX450s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back