Are STAX really too expensive? Thinking thread (okay and maybe advocating).
Jun 26, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #62 of 198
I was going to buy a DT880 and a Little Dot MKIV, but this has intrigued me. How good would a stax setup around $500 be compared to this? The main thing I'm looking for is soundstage and precise imaging.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #63 of 198
I got a sr4/srd40 combo with 16 foot extention cord off EBAY for $86 US
shipped. I also picked up a closeout demo sr202/srm313 combo like new
for $560 US shipped. I am currently bidding on a Lambda Pro set of
phones on EBAY under sucks2beme id. Hard to stop once you get started.
At some point, I'll have to sort out keepers from sell offs.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #64 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to buy a DT880 and a Little Dot MKIV, but this has intrigued me. How good would a stax setup around $500 be compared to this? The main thing I'm looking for is soundstage and precise imaging.

I own the DT880, but no tube amp, and vintage, normal bias Stax, SR-5 and SR-Gamma. The Stax blow away the DT880 in sound stage and imaging.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #65 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't think, buy!

cool.gif

There is no think, only buy and buy not.

-Yoda on Stax

Seriously, I spent $600 on a SRM-1/MKII and Lambda Pro combo. This was after not wanting to spend a lot on a dynamic rig but never finding the sound I liked. I kept buying and selling amps and headphones. If I had gotten the Stax set up first I would have at least saved a lot of time and money on selling and shipping my headphones.

It is best if you can audition first, but it's hard to do that with older equipment and a meet is not ideal as there is usually too much noise in the room. I was lucky and a fellow Head-Fier lent me his Stax and when I told him he wasn't getting them back he agreed to sell.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #66 of 198
Heh, it is also amusing to realize that the Stax thread, while very large, probably has the highest density of information of all the threads on head-fi. I made a few attempts to start informative threads for dynamic headphone users a while ago - and all I got was feeble responses along the lines of 'I like this setup - recommend it' from people who did not hear anything else.
For Stax - even this thread - however many questions were asked by folks taking interest, all of them were answered within a post or 2 by experienced members.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #67 of 198
Quote:

Heh, it is also amusing to realize that the Stax thread, while very large, probably has the highest density of information of all the threads on head-fi.

The Ortho thread comes close
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #68 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ortho thread comes close
wink.gif

True. That one is most definitely a 'niche' market though =).

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #69 of 198
I have a question about the SRD-7/SB. I know that it requires a speaker amp. What I'm not sure about is the input of the SRD-7/SB, does it take regular speaker wire only?

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #70 of 198
so what do you have to shell out to get a stax setup thats gonna beat most ~£300-400 headphones+amp

to put it another way, is, at that price level, a stax setup or a dymanic setup better?

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #71 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about the SRD-7/SB. I know that it requires a speaker amp. What I'm not sure about is the input of the SRD-7/SB, does it take regular speaker wire only?

Thanks!

The SRD-7 have a cable attached to its back side. The ends of this cable attach to the speaker out bindings on a regular speaker amplifier.
You then connect your speaker wires (for your speakers) to the bindings on the backside of the SRD-7, and use the switch to select either headphones or speakers.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #73 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what do you have to shell out to get a stax setup thats gonna beat most ~£300-400 headphones+amp

to put it another way, is, at that price level, a stax setup or a dymanic setup better?

£200 (used) for the 2020 would, imo, beat easily any sub £400 dynamic combo.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #74 of 198
Quote:

How good of an amp would I need for the SRD-7?

would something like PylePro Mini 2X40W Stereo Power Amplifier - PTA2 - Buy.com be good enough?

The better the amp sounds with speakers, the better the ear speakers will sound. The ones I own sound good from a 15 watt Sonic Impact Super T. They sound better out of my NAD integrated amp. I have no idea how the PylePro sounds so I can't comment on that.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #75 of 198
Quote:

Thanks!

My amp the Nuforce Icon has speaker cables that have a banana clip on each end. My SRD-7 Pro has banana clips on its input wires. All I have to do is to connect these using banana couplers.

Easy....the hard part is finding the rare couplers which I now have found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back