Are the DT 1990 pros worth the extra cost over the DT 880 Editions 600ohm?
May 20, 2022 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Laurus

New Head-Fier
Essentially the title. I don't know whether the increased cost (essentially 3x the price) of the DT 1990 is worth it over the quality you get with the DT 880 Editions. Can anyone chime in as to whether they are or not?

Thanks.

May 20, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 12
I've had DT 1990 no about one week. I personally don't like the default sound signature. It's just too bright. However, I am using Sonarworks to fix the problems. Dry / wet level is around 60%, so the biggest issues are fixed, while remaining some of the headphone own sound. Plus the frequency response is much more balanced after Sonarworks fix. DT 1990 with Sonarworks fix, I can highly recommend this combo. I also own DT 880, and 880 is so slow and more metallic sounding, while DT 1990 is more natural and it do everything so much better. Speed, dynamics, slam, sound stage, imaging - everything is just so much better. I really enjoy these 1990's . With Sonarworks of course. I also make music, so these are kind a mixing headphones for me. I also use these for gaming, because imaging is super good, I can easily hear and spot the enemies. I personally think that it is worth it.

May 20, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I have have had both and I'd like to chime in another Beyerdynamic option: DT 900 pro x. Prefer those over over the Dt 1990 pro personally and their price point is in between.
Interesting, I haven't heard much in the way of positives from people online about the 900 pro x, can I ask what in particular you prefer about it to the 1990? And where does the 880/990 fit into your ranking?
Cheers.

May 20, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes, I had the DT880, as well as the DT900. While subjective, the DT1990 are an improvement over both, and one of my favorite universal headphones for all genres. The bass is impressive for an open back, and they EQ great if desired.

May 21, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 12
Interesting, I haven't heard much in the way of positives from people online about the 900 pro x, can I ask what in particular you prefer about it to the 1990? And where does the 880/990 fit into your ranking?
Cheers.
For me personally the DT 900 pro x is more comfortable and have a better all round frequency response. The 1990 has a treble peak I disliked but swapping foam pads was an easy solution. The 900 doesn't have this issue.
I cannot really comment on the DT 880 anymore since it has been a while.

May 21, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 12
The DT-1990 Pro is one of my everyday headphones. With Dekoni Elite Velour, they are one of the best sets I've owned. No shortcomings anywhere throughout the band. DT-880 was just OK for me, liked the 600 990 better. But, I no longer have either of those. My amps are Woo Audio WA2, BH Crack/SB, and BH S3X. I find all these tube amps to drive the 1990 exceptionally well.

May 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 12
Ive had those,tthe DT1990 isn't worth that kind of money, sibilant treble shouldn't be in a $400 pair of headphones. Just got a DT900 this week, good for music but gaming was lame. After an hour or 90 mins tops I was getting fatigued and took them off. They're really a lot heavier than they look. The DT880 is ok except distortion at loud volume, even with tons of power (smsl SP200). The 250 OHM 880 is much better, and the black version adds some bass but pads are firm. All the Tesla stuff I've had is over hyped, especially the love hate thing with the Amiron Home I had for 2 months.
Get a pair of DT770 and DT880 250 ohm for the less money, and you'll be so much happier than the DT1990.

May 22, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 12
Ive had those,tthe DT1990 isn't worth that kind of money, sibilant treble shouldn't be in a $400 pair of headphones. Just got a DT900 this week, good for music but gaming was lame. After an hour or 90 mins tops I was getting fatigued and took them off. They're really a lot heavier than they look. The DT880 is ok except distortion at loud volume, even with tons of power (smsl SP200). The 250 OHM 880 is much better, and the black version adds some bass but pads are firm. All the Tesla stuff I've had is over hyped, especially the love hate thing with the Amiron Home I had for 2 months.
Get a pair of DT770 and DT880 250 ohm for the less money, and you'll be so much happier than the DT1990.

Respectfully, couldn't disagree more. Phones are so personal and subjective. The 1990 is not siblant with proper amplification for many users such as myself. In fact it's perfect. The 880 and 990 are priced accordingly because they are inferior. I've been a Beyer user for 20 years and been through most of them, I believe the 1990 to be the best of them.

May 24, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 12
The last silver dt880 Edition sets I had were quite warm, the black edition is very warm.
I think the sweet spot of the Beyer range is the dt990pro, you can adjust the treble to taste (EQ) and get a quite neutral midrange with a slightly raised bass that's not warm/coloured as dt990 (yes it's raised above neutral). Fantastic soundstage and detail.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the 900pro X.
The two Teslas dt1990/Amiron Home (I own both) are hardly better than the dt880/dt990, They are eventually a bit smoother. I wouldn't recommend spending more than dt880/dt990 or Sennheiser HD600/HD650 money on headphones unless you're into the audiophile hobby. You get maximum sound quality out of any of these headphones and some additional EQ will get you further than spending thousands on gear.
If you are willing to spend the money for the dt1990pro also buy or build the diyaudioheaven treble filter, this makes for a very good sound experience.
I would also recommend to stick to the 250Ohm versions, the 600Ohm need too much power and make the amp too costly.

The Beyer treble bothered me in the past but these days I'm mostly fine with it. Eventually these headphones do have "break in" or "wear in" but take into account that you'll need something to tame the treble eventually. Maybe also buy a HD600 to compare.

My personal favourite of the Beyer range (and most used headphone in general) is the Amiron Home. The dt1990 wins on clarity and makes details stick out more but the Amiron makes the music come alive in a way I find very addictive. For the first 15 minutes of listening the dt1990 is the better headphone, the Amiron is the headphone that makes me want to listen to an album again though.

May 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 12
I absolutely adore the dt 1990 pro! When I put them on for the first time, it was like nothing I had heard before, and I’ve run the gambit of headphones. I know sound is subjective, I love the treble and bass these produce. The EQ extremely well. I don’t hear the sibilance in the treble. These sing with clarity, good soundstage and a sound signature like no other. They are hard to explain for me. I’m a big rock/metal fan and these do those genres perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back