Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #227 of 1,058
Has anyone downloaded Tidal offline to this player?
Here is my previous post.
No offline TIDAL. It was discussed somewhere else. But the bottom line is that there is a licensing issue between music labels and TIDAL, which restricts the offline option only for TIDAL app distributed through Apple App Store or Google Play.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #228 of 1,058
Just received mine yesterday. It's replacing a 1.5 year old AK100ii that I loved. So far, very good. I've only spent a few hours with it so far, but I already appreciate the wider soundstage & more robust amp section of the AK70 MKII vs the AK100ii.

Edit - I'll be getting the ALO 2.5mm balanced litz cable soon as well. I figure I should be taking advantage of the extra power since that's a major reason for upgrading to this in the first place.
IMG_4415.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #229 of 1,058
(This is not specifically referring to the above discussion).

I just did a thread-search and couldn't find anything about output impedance, so, for others who might do the same search, this is from the A&K website:

Balanced out 2.5mm (3 Ω)
Single-Ended 3.5mm (1.5 Ω)

Disappointing that it isn't lower, after so many DAP releases (more than 10 AK DAPs ago, we witnessed the original AK100 having a less-than-ideal output impedance, with iRiver denying it would be an issue, but, iirc, it did prove to be an issue, for some customers...), but I suppose the single-ended 1.5 Ω isn't insanely high. Might begin to be an issue with very low impedance CIEMs, though (EE Zeus, perhaps?) - anyone able to check this, with a very low impedance CIEM, please?

Any lacking bass? Any poorly-controlled treble, etc.?

I'm a CIEM fan, so this is a serious deciding factor for me, when considering purchasing a DAP, having experienced how surprisingly detrimental a high OI can be to the sound signature of low impedance multi-BA CIEMs.

Cheers.
Interestingly the consensus over at Superbestaudiofriends is that for multi-ba iems that 3ohms impedence may be more appropriate in general than 1 ohm, given the impedence swings that are presented. Of course it would be handier if dap companies produced an impedence plot across the frequency spectrum, but that would make them unique in the audio world! Far too often we are given one or two figures and meant to surmise capability from these. All imo.

Regards,

Giles

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #230 of 1,058
Interestingly the consensus over at Superbestaudiofriends is that for multi-ba iems that 3ohms impedence may be more appropriate in general than 1 ohm, given the impedence swings that are presented. Of course it would be handier if dap companies produced an impedence plot across the frequency spectrum, but that would make them unique in the audio world! Far too often we are given one or two figures and meant to surmise capability from these. All imo.

Regards,

Giles

You're misunderstanding how impedance works. Impedance reactivity depends on the IEM itself, not the source. A change in OI affects different IEMs differently, the DAP itself does not have the same "impedance plot across the frequency spectrum" the same way transducers do.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #231 of 1,058
As I promised, here is my quick comparison between AK70Mk2 and AK240.

9935478_l.jpg

For this A/B testing I used Ultrasone Jubilee 25 Edition through balanced output on both DAPs using Silver Dragon V3 cable.

Music Tracks
Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit, 96/24
Norah Jones, The Nearness of You, 192/24
Cassandra Wilson, Love is Blindness, 192/24
Harbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage, 192/24

Basic sound signature is very similar between AK70Mk2 and AK240, possibly due to the same dual DAC (Cirrus Logic CS4398 x2) configuration. Amplifier was more powerful on AK70Mk2 requiring always 10 to 12% less volume settings than AK240 (90 to 100 on AK70Mk2 while 100-110 on AK240).
If you listen casually without doing A/B test, it would be difficult to tell which one you are listening. That being said, sound stage is definitely wider on AK240. Also AK240 had better resolution and separation than AK70Mk2. But I have to say that the difference is not so big.
Also AK240 gives richer, smoother and more matured presentation than AK70Mk2. But this does not necessarily mean that AK240 is better. Depending on the track, AK70Mk2 may be more suited. It's like comparing Scotch whiskey between 12 years and 18 years old. 18 years old sure costs more money and provides more matured/rounded taste than 12 years. But depending on your mood, you sometimes prefer younger Scotch.
AK70Mk2 exhibits some rough edges occasionally, while AK240 consistently presents laid back and relaxed listening.

Summary:
Astell&Kern did a great job creating such a DAP more or less comparable to the one, which was once TOTL, at this price point. For AK240 users, I don't see any point buying AK70Mk2 as there will be no improvement unless you want some fresher and younger tonality.
Thank you for the impressions, Giraku!

Would you say that, in most circumstances, it would be difficult to tell them apart unless you're doing an intense A/B comparison between the 2? I do 95% of my listening on-the-go, during my commute to and from work (~2 hours+ each day), so these are never ideal environments for critical listening.

I could purchase a 2nd hand AK240 for around the price of a new AK70 MK2, so I'm debating this choice.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #232 of 1,058
Thank you for the impressions, Giraku!

Would you say that, in most circumstances, it would be difficult to tell them apart unless you're doing an intense A/B comparison between the 2? I do 95% of my listening on-the-go, during my commute to and from work (~2 hours+ each day), so these are never ideal environments for critical listening.

I could purchase a 2nd hand AK240 for around the price of a new AK70 MK2, so I'm debating this choice.
The difference is not so obvious but there. If you can get either one at the same price, Ak240 may be better choice. As I mentioned, Ak240 is warmer and more laid back, while AK70Mk2 is a bit more energetic. In the end, it’s up to your taste.
But one thing you should consider is the age of the battery on the second hand DAPs. AK240 can be more than 3 years old. Depending on the number of charging cycles the battery went through, you might need to send the unit back to AK to replace it.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #233 of 1,058
Thankyou for sharing your comparisons.

I must say, however, that iRiver haven't achieved anything new or clever in creating a DAP nearly comparable to the AK240, for less money - there are competitors who are achieving much the same thing. I am in absolutely no doubt that the AK70 Mkii could've been made to sound 100% as capable as the AK240 - the difference in price of the audio circuitry components will be quite trivial, in each of these DAPs.

In releasing the AK70 Mkii, all iRiver have done is re-use much of the (outrageously-overpriced) AK240 design principles and componentry and reduced their (and their dealers') profit margins - something they could have done all along, but, until recently, chose not to do.

I'm pleased to see iRiver behaving in a more socially-responsible manner, in recent months, but it's not an 'accomplishment' to reduce the price of their DAPs - it's nothing more than a change of marketing strategy.

As someone who's been vocal in my criticism of their marketing strategy, in previous years, I am just as pleased as anyone else to see them releasing DAPs in the $500-$1000 sector - so much so, that the AK70ii is the first ever DAP from iRiver that I might actually consider purchasing, at some point, and I don't say that lightly, as I've viewed their corporate greed with disdain, this past few years.

Let's just call a spade a spade: iRiver make some really nice, and generally well-engineered, DAPs. Their pricing, however, is, and always has been, largely a matter of how greedy they and their dealers choose to be, for each model. They don't deserve a pat on the back for being less greedy; just a nod of acknowledgment.

Whether the recent change in marketing strategy was self-motivated, or whether their hand was forced by the ever-improving quality of competitors' products in the $500-$1000 sector is something one would need to ask an iRiver employee, but each of us will have our own guess about this.
A&K still rule the roost when it comes to the TOTL DAP level - the only competitor to the SP1000 in contemporary times is the Sony WM1Z. The LPG was a strong alternative to the AK380, but in this current generation, we're left with the aforementioned 2.

With that said, the mid-range market is where competition is really fierce. A&K do not play in the low-fi category, so we can forget about that. In the mid-fi spectrum, there are tons of high quality DAPs that sell for a lot lower than the entry A&K models (Jr, AK70, AK70 MK2). Most sound exceptionally good, even. The twin AK70s are definitely proof of A&K's attempt to capture this segment. They sound good, include a premium look and feel, and also carry the famed A&K name.

I have an AK70 myself, and I am highly interested in getting a MK2, but only because I am looking for a capable replacement for the AK240 that I sold, but greatly miss.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #234 of 1,058
The difference is not so obvious but there. If you can get either one at the same price, Ak240 may be better choice. As I mentioned, Ak240 is warmer and more laid back, while AK70Mk2 is a bit more energetic. In the end, it’s up to your taste.
But one thing you should consider is the age of the battery on the second hand DAPs. AK240 can be more than 3 years old. Depending on the number of charging cycles the battery went through, you might need to send the unit back to AK to replace it.
Yeah, the AK240 is running on some old legs now, so battery performance is definitely a factor when it comes to 2nd hand units. This is one of the main reasons why I'm actually looking toward the MK2 as a replacement. I don't mind a more energetic sound - I listen to a lot of dance music, and they usually fare better on DAPs that have more energy and spark. Thanks for your opinions. :)

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #238 of 1,058
You're misunderstanding how impedance works. Impedance reactivity depends on the IEM itself, not the source. A change in OI affects different IEMs differently, the DAP itself does not have the same "impedance plot across the frequency spectrum" the same way transducers do.

No I understand it, I just wrote the wrong TLA (three letter acronym) - iem makes sense, dap as you pointed out does not. Memo to self do not post late at night...

regards,

Giles

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #239 of 1,058
Their Battery Life so.............damn.......short.........
I used them these 3 days, It's drain so fast...
Maybe you could consider a Sony ZX300 :beyersmile:

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #240 of 1,058

Users who are viewing this thread

Back