Astell & Kern AKR01
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting a thread for these, as I see no other thread on these, and a small thread on the Final Audio Heaven IV(The AKR01 is based off this design.) 

So, I tried these at CAS, and I asked Jimmy what Final Audio had to do with it. He said that importing the Final Audios were expensive, and they teamed with Final to bring this product to the US. It is voiced exactly as the IV, and is $200. I have them as a review sample at the moment, and will post my review on here as soon as I'm finished(a couple weeks). 

So, does anyone have this thing? I love it. Fantastic IEM for $200, sounds better than my 4.Ai i had a bit ago. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 25

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 25
Reserved.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 25
Man, looks like you got the scoop on this one.  There so little information about this anywhere.  Even a Google search just brings up this thread. 
smile.gif
  Anyone else got these?

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 25
:)
Man, looks like you got the scoop on this one.  There so little information about this anywhere.  Even a Google search just brings up this thread.  :smile:   Anyone else got these?

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
It's a re-branded Heaven IV

Actually - and I believe that Wolfetan's got more details on this - I heard something about it being voiced and tuned specifically for the AK120.

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 25
Unlike FitEar, FAD are now becoming more mainstream. Now we need the Apple & FAD version of the FI-BA-SS, the iFI-BA-SS, which should retail for $499 / £399 and be available at Apple stores & Walmart / ASDA.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
Quote:
Actually - and I believe that Wolfetan's got more details on this - I heard something about it being voiced and tuned specifically for the AK120.

It clearly says it's Heaven IV:

Yes, I understand that.  But in speaking with both Jimmy Moon and Owen Kwon of Astell & Kern at the California Audio Show two weekend past, I remember them saying that some work was done to voice it for their players.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Yes, I understand that.  But in speaking with both Jimmy Moon and Owen Kwon of Astell & Kern at the California Audio Show two weekend past, I remember them saying that some work was done to voice it for their players.

That's marketing speak.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

That's marketing speak.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 25
Here is more "marketing speak" for you from amazon.com, that suggests a different sound signature.  I can see why he would think they would sound different, since it says its "specifically tuned for the Astell&Kern AK100 & Ak120", and then goes on to say "The AKR01 is based on Final Audio Design of the Heaven IV In-Ear Monitors."  there might be a reason that someone would think such an outlandish thing could even remotely be possible.  ha ha ha. To be fair there was  the m-audio ie40 which were just a rebranded Triple fi 10.

Product Description

The Astell&Kern AKR01 In-Ear Monitors are developed in collaboration with Final Audio Design and specifically tuned for the Astell&Kern AK100 & AK120 Mastering Quality Sound Portable System. The AKR01 is based on Final Audio Design of the Heaven IV In-Ear Monitors.  
Enjoy a balanced & natural sound that reduces unwanted sibilant high-frequency sounds from the BAM (Balancing Air Movement) mechanism that optimizes air movement inside the earphone's housing. The AKR01 pushes the evolution of earphone body design to the next level with a minimalistic design structure and slim body.  
The Astell&Kern AKR01 paired with the AK100 or AK120 achieves the truest possible expression of live concert hall sound, delivering deep spatial expression and the truest "live performance" atmosphere.  
Features:
• Custom balanced armature drivers
• BAM Mechanism optimizes the air movement inside the housing
• Highly rigid stainless steel housing
• Original flat cable that eliminates microphonic noise  
• Technical Specs:
• Type: Enclosed Earphones
• Driver Unit: Custom-made Balanced Armature Driver
• Impedance: 16Ω
• SPL: 112 dB
• Cable Length: 47 Inches
• Weight: 16g 

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 25
Whatever happened to the review?  Good, bad?  Are these rebranded FAD IVs, or not (and have you spent enough time recently with the FADs to know)?  If not, what are the differences?

People whose wallets can't stop bleeding want to know... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back