Loving these...
42745733_10155590022641496_6143287883215142912_o.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-10-14 01.09.56 1.jpg
    2018-10-14 01.09.56 1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #50 of 71
Anyone by any chance have these and the Fiio FH5? Just wondering how they compare as they’re kind of in my budget and I’m considering them both. Thanks

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #54 of 71
I am looking to purchase a set of IEMs at around £275 and at the moment I have narrowed it down to the A&K Billie Jean and the Sennheiser IE80s but I can't decide between the two. I do not have anywhere that I can trial them before I buy and so I can only make a purchase and then see how they are. My preference is for a warm type of sound with good bass but doesn't go too high or harsh in the treble. I've read numerous reviews on both. One concern is that some reviews say the A&K BJ has a harsh treble whereas other reviews say the opposite. So I have a purchase dilemma. I would be using them around the house and at the gym.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these IEMs to go for?

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 71
I am looking to purchase a set of IEMs at around £275 and at the moment I have narrowed it down to the A&K Billie Jean and the Sennheiser IE80s but I can't decide between the two. I do not have anywhere that I can trial them before I buy and so I can only make a purchase and then see how they are. My preference is for a warm type of sound with good bass but doesn't go too high or harsh in the treble. I've read numerous reviews on both. One concern is that some reviews say the A&K BJ has a harsh treble whereas other reviews say the opposite. So I have a purchase dilemma. I would be using them around the house and at the gym.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these IEMs to go for?
Hi,

I owned the A&k BJ and imo I’d say the treble was a bit harsh but not with all recordings. In general they are very dependant on the source material. Some songs sounded great and some sounded not so great.

One other thing I’d mention about them as you said you might use them for the gym they stick out a bit and although I found the fit secure enough for everyday use I wasn’t really comfortable in them in the gym. I had some Weston um3x before and they were very secure.

I have since sold them and got Campfire audio Lyra II which I managed to find secondhand for 250. They sound almost perfect to me.

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #56 of 71
Thanks for the reply Bashington. I read the review on Headphonia who said the A&K BJ had some real bass and gave great details in the mids and highs, but they too warned about the treble being a bit high for some. It’s a pity about that as they sound a good set of IEMs. I think I am steering towards the IE80s at this point.

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #57 of 71
I just picked up a used pair. They are my new daily drivers. I was taken aback on first listen at how drums and cymbals sounded. Great detail. I don’t find the treble harsh, especially compared to campfire BA IEMs with the litz cable. They look nice, light and are small. The niggle is that the cable is a bit microphonic and Complys need to be seated on the nozzle correctly as to not fall off. I like them. Great value.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #58 of 71
I did actually buy the Billie Jean. I really like them. On well produced music they sound great, but as others have said, they are not very forgiving. If you feed them rubbish you will get the same back in return.

I haven’t noticed any microphonics on my pair using the stock cable.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #59 of 71
Hi. it is written that the heights could be too much, even with sibilants? other people write that the heights are gentle rather than hiss? what can you believe? I know only one measurement, namely RAA.
( https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/astell-kern-billie-jean.php )
For me, the frequency measurement looks like painted. far into the bass - people write but that no deep bass is heard, which is hard to believe in this graphic. I guess it depends heavily on the sealing with the right silicone etching? every now and then you get the BJ already under 300 €. currently have the FA 3E.
I really like the heights here, only the bass could easily be more. the FA 4E has a too sharp tone at 6.6kHz, which causes sibilant sounds.
Can you say something to the heights and whether sibilants are actually a problem or rather something to do with the seal in the ear canal?
Is there perhaps other measurements from the BJ?

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #60 of 71
From my experience the sibilance was not an issue all the time but as I and some other people mentioned before these headphones show up badly mastered music really clearly.

I was using foam tips which normally dull down the sound.

As for bass there was defo good amounts of bass but not enough for me.

Also, I personally found the sound fatiguing. It was just too much.

My CA Lyra II are better in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back