Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 2,200
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #17 of 2,200
Review says:

"The player’s 7,400mA battery supports fast charging and can play back music continuously for up to nine hours on a single charge."

Really? 9h Play time with a Battery that big?
I would assume the same thing too but the KANN is all about delivering sound with extreme power, which is why battery life is mediocre despite the size of the thing. If it were your average battery size I doubt it'd even be usable.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #18 of 2,200
Also I'm confused as to where this places in the lineup. I'd put it above the SE100 judging by specs, but it's $200 cheaper. Hell, I even would've thought it was a flagship if it weren't for the fact it uses the same DAC as the SE100.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 2,200
I truly enjoy my Kann. I use it with AT DSR9 bluetooth headphones every day. This new thing misses the mark on several points. Less storage being the biggest one for me. Sorry A&K I won't be buying this.
What other things about the player do you find weak? Isn't 128GB an improvement from the original by the way? Not trying to start an argument, just curious about your opinions.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #21 of 2,200
Only 1 card slot., XLR?, why no 4.4?

I suppose if I were building a home system then this unit might have a place in it. Also there seems to be a focus on streaming services, but I don't use any of those so..

I am thinking the price is right though given the performance parameters for this dap.

Not particularly portable either.

Having a Roon ready Oppo 205 (Ess9038 dac X 2, but not dual mono configuration) fills all of my home requirements.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #23 of 2,200
Only 1 card slot., XLR?, why no 4.4?
Personally 1 slot isn't an issue for me, but as a Sony person who likes 4.4mm this really baffles me. Why do other manufacturers strictly stick to 2.5mm? As far as I know the FiiO M11 is the only DAP that includes support for both ports.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #24 of 2,200
Personally 1 slot isn't an issue for me, but as a Sony person who likes 4.4mm this really baffles me. Why do other manufacturers strictly stick to 2.5mm? As far as I know the FiiO M11 is the only DAP that includes support for both ports.

iBasso amp 8 is 4.4 only. So with replaceable amps iBasso does support both but not in one unit. The one card slot wouldn't be an issue if the 1 or 2 tb micro cards were actually available, at a reasonable price but they are not. In my original Kann I have 1 tb in it right now, (two 512gb cards @476gb ea, plus internal) and that is why I have it. It also is portable for most folks.

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 2,200
At this rate, Astell & Kern will soon become the only DAP manufacturer that refuse to adopt 4.4. It surely is going to weaken their products' competitiveness. Only truly gigantic corporations like Apple & Sony can retain their products' competitiveness while sticking with inferior connection standards (lightning/WM-port, as opposed to the far superior usb type-c). Unfortunately, iRiver isn't big enough to be stubborn.

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #26 of 2,200
so i guess this is the most powerful dap on the market

one wish for all AK daps is add a better eq in their daps, other than i see no real draw backs in kann cube

or at least support installation of third party music players as neutron player with full access to the dac to enjoy its dsp and eq capabilities

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 2,200
If the sound is like the original KANN, this would be a draw back... .
i liked the original kann though, and have the ak se100 as well

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #29 of 2,200
my question is where I can find 5pin mini xlr plug for making a adapter 4.4 to 5 pin xlr?

Moon Audio been selling cables terminated with mini 5-pin XLR for ages. They call it "switchcraft". You might want to look into that.

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #30 of 2,200
For all of those who asked for 4.4 just a reminder that AK is the one who comes up with the 2.5 balanced standard and thus will not choose to support a rival balanced standard until it gives up its own 2.5 balanced standard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back