Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,546 of 2,698
I also really liked how the Kann uses DLNA so well. It immediately detected my Logitech Media Server (good 'ol Squeezebox) and I was able to quickly browse and play my entire collection without touching a SD card :wink:

What steps does one follow to engage this DLNA access? Are they indicated in a manual somewhere? I do have Tidal access, but I also have a Logitech Media Server loaded on my NAS, so I might be able to play the music stored on it... I guess there's still a lot I need to learn about the functionality of my KANN.

May 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,547 of 2,698
What steps does one follow to engage this DLNA access? Are they indicated in a manual somewhere? I do have Tidal access, but I also have a Logitech Media Server loaded on my NAS, so I might be able to play the music stored on it... I guess there's still a lot I need to learn about the functionality of my KANN.

With the WiFi connected to your network, you just touch the AK Connect at the top of the screen. Then there's a circular refresh icon in the upper right corner. Touch that to have it scan your network. Swipe right until you see your LMS. That's all you have to do. Pretty slick.

May 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,548 of 2,698
My first impressions with the Kann.

I just received the Kann and even without any burn in period I can say that this DAP really shines – specially in balanced mode. I’m looking to replace my Onkyo DP-X1. I used my 3.5mm A/B switch to compare the two using a pair of Focal Clear headphones. Both devices had very similar sound with the lows and highs. The mids were clearer on the Kann though. But, overall the SQ was very close between them. I listened to Rock, Jazz and Classical music (mix of 16/44.1 and 24/96 flac files and a few DSD). While the Onkyo has dual DACs and a balanced output, I never could detect any improvement between balanced and SE when using the Clears (however, balanced was noticeably better when using my lower impedance SE846 IEMs).

However, even though the Kann has a single DAC, it made a very noticeable improvement with the Clears when using the balanced output. I assume it’s due to the more powerful amp in the Kann that makes it able to really drive the Clears. When compared to SE, the dynamic range was opened up in balanced mode. It was balanced mode that really put it over the top when comparing it to the Onkyo.

I also really liked how the Kann uses DLNA so well. It immediately detected my Logitech Media Server (good 'ol Squeezebox) and I was able to quickly browse and play my entire collection without touching a SD card :wink:

But, boy this player gets warm doesn’t it. Has anyone ever had any overheating issues when using a leather case (i.e. Dignis)?

Oh, and I see there is a lyrics function. I tried using the “unsyncedlyrics” tag that the Onkyo supported and that doesn’t seem to work on the Kann. I remember having a FiiO that used LRC files. I didn’t see any mention of this on the thread.
**UPDATE** I found that the extended tag has to be called LYRICS instead of the more standard UNSYNCEDLYRICS

Yes this player gets pretty warm which is normal for a large battery of that size feeding the dynamics of the player. I personally d'ont use any cover. The groove finish of the metal back works like a radiator to disseminate heat.

May 13, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,549 of 2,698
Guys, can you call KANN sound warm? I really liked the sound of SP1000SS even with low-level ears (XBA-Z5), but I concerned about it's size, weight and whether it worth to get it for listening in subway.

Listening is subjective so everyone gets a different taste. Cant describe it as warm. It also depends on your gear and music. There4 cannot comment.

May 14, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,550 of 2,698
Listening is subjective so everyone gets a different taste. Cant describe it as warm. It also depends on your gear and music. There4 cannot comment.

true, but I feel part of those who find it to sound warmer than some sabre based DAPs for example. I own a Kann, an Aune M1S and a Fiio X7 II and the Kann sounds rolled off in the highs (less sparkling highs) compared to the two others. The low end is also more accentuated. It does make most of my headphones and iems sound warmer, or darker.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #1,551 of 2,698
true, but I feel part of those who find it to sound warmer than some sabre based DAPs for example. I own a Kann, an Aune M1S and a Fiio X7 II and the Kann sounds rolled off in the highs (less sparkling highs) compared to the two others. The low end is also more accentuated. It does make most of my headphones and iems sound warmer, or darker.
Perhaps with your gear you may be right. I agree Fiio has sabre chips and is more neutral compared to Kann. The gear that I have is a great match with Kann so I may not be able to comment further. I use my Shure 535 and UE900 IEMs with Kann which are both neutral and has great match. A for my bigger HPs I have been using desktop amps and Mojo combination which again is a great match. Cheers

May 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,552 of 2,698
Hello,
First I'm sorry for the two very newbies following questions :floatsmile:
I just got my A&K Kann, using it wit an AT MSR-7 (planning to change when I'll have more funds) and I've read here and there that it was better to use the Kann in balanced mode. I only have 3,5mm cables with my MSR-7, can I buy an 3.5mm-2.5mm jack cable to use my headphone in balanced mode with the Kann?
Second question (please dont laugh :)) I have to push the on/off button before using the volume button or it doesn't work, is that normal ? It sounds so stupid to me ? Or am I missing something ?
Thanks !

May 15, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,553 of 2,698
Hello,
I just got my A&K Kann, using it wit an AT MSR-7 (planning to change when I'll have more funds) and I've read here and there that it was better to use the Kann in balanced mode. I only have 3,5mm cables with my MSR-7, can I buy an 3.5mm-2.5mm jack cable to use my headphone in balanced mode with the Kann?
Second question (please dont laugh :)) I have to push the on/off button before using the volume button or it doesn't work, is that normal ? It sounds so stupid to me ? Or am I missing something ?
Thanks !

Amazon.ca has 3.5 to 2.5 balanced,
Extreme Audio Premium Gold Plated 2.5mm Balanced Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female Audio Connection Adapter Cable for Astell&Kern AK100II, AK120II, AK240, AK380, AK320, Lotoo Paw 5000, Cayin N5

Don't know about the volume question though sorry.

That's an excellent adapter by the way.

May 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,554 of 2,698
As for the volume (and other buttons) not working when the screen is off - you just have to go into the settings and disable "Lock".

As for balanced support, you can't use an adapter for an existing single ended (3.5mm) cable. You need to get balanced cables for your headphones. Balanced cables have a pair of wires dedicated for each channel (no common ground).

e.g.
https://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTHDC112A12?siid=240750

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,555 of 2,698
Hello,
Thanks !

Not necessarily. You can you can use both 3.5mm and balanced inputs. Since you have 3.5mm cables you can get the Fiio adapter which is 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female and your cable can be connected. If you check past posts I have provided image of the same.

Your on off button is meant for putting your Kann on. The display will show off after sometime to retain battery. If you dont want this arrangement you can go to settings and uncheck lock mode.
Our other friends too have posted replies above to guide you.
Enjoy your Kann. Cheers.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,556 of 2,698
Thanks all for your replies, I could have tried that 'lock' icon before asking, that was not that hard :p
As for the cable, I think I have well understood the need, I have yet to find a supplier in France or one anywhere else that ships to France.

Anyway, I'm already enjoying my Kann as it is. Then I'll want to bring its best :)

May 17, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,557 of 2,698
Question about AK connect.

My FLAC and DSD collection is hosted on a 2Tb Western Digital MyPassport Wireless Pro (Wifi Hard drive) and the Kann has no diificulty accessing it with AK Connect, which in theory would allow me to stream my whole audio library to the Kann on the go. Unfortunately AK Connect doesn't seem to be able to build a database, when i select "all files" it takes forever to display all files (35000 files, not surprising) but if i switch to another browsing mode (like folder mode or Artist, Albums etc) and go back to "all file" it starts again to scan forever from the start. Very annoying.
Using my Fiio X7 mk2 and the Neutron app i don't have this issue as Neutron builds a database, which is quickly updated when i add new files.

Can someone confirm that AK Connect on the Kann is unable to build a library ?

May 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,558 of 2,698
I’ve been reading more and more about how Tidal will soon be folding. If so, what other options does A&K have up their sleeve for streaming to the Kann? I don’t think users in the USA can use either MOOV or Groove+
I hope we get some thing, even if it isn’t hires, as I’d like something to audition new music before I buy it.

May 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,559 of 2,698
Glad you asked as read article that tidal was late paying royalties to artists, I'm new and I love Tidal, sq is amazing on my Kann and ak70mk.
This frankly has stop me buying sp 1000,
I will eventually buy some files for my player only own few DSD Files.
Yes not going to worry bout it, I personally suspect if anything someone will buy them.
I am traveling first trip with kann, to Dominican Republic , so having a craft beer packing as we speak

May 18, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,560 of 2,698
Question about AK connect.

My FLAC and DSD collection is hosted on a 2Tb Western Digital MyPassport Wireless Pro (Wifi Hard drive) and the Kann has no diificulty accessing it with AK Connect, which in theory would allow me to stream my whole audio library to the Kann on the go. Unfortunately AK Connect doesn't seem to be able to build a database, when i select "all files" it takes forever to display all files (35000 files, not surprising) but if i switch to another browsing mode (like folder mode or Artist, Albums etc) and go back to "all file" it starts again to scan forever from the start. Very annoying.
Using my Fiio X7 mk2 and the Neutron app i don't have this issue as Neutron builds a database, which is quickly updated when i add new files.

Can someone confirm that AK Connect on the Kann is unable to build a library ?

Yes. When ever you start your Kann it will search and scan full library which is default. However, for first time initially the scan will take longer but after that once the cache is build up in Kann for every start it would scan the library but will not take long. For AK Connect to work as DLNA server heavier files will take long to stream. I have attached an external usb drive to my wifi router directly and stream files form it under same wifi network but faced no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back