Astell & Kern Kann Max vs SR35
Jun 6, 2023 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Philomena88

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Newbie here. I realize the above heading sounds silly, but I will appreciate any comparison and advice between the Kann Max and SR35. I had previously posted about urgently needing a new dap in the $1000 range, as my current one (A&K 100II) died on me. I initially settled on the A&K SR35, but now I am in a position to stretch more go in for the Kann Max. It is at the absolute limit of what I can spend, but SQ is key to me, and I will be using the device for the next few years (initially with my mid-level DUNU SA6 ($550), though I will upgrade eventually). I was wondering if anyone has experience using both the Kann Max and the SR35, and can compare them? Does the difference in SQ in your view sufficient to warrant the extra money? Would the Kann Max cause any issues with a mid-range IEM (I will upgrade later), or should I just go in with the SR35? I'll be grateful for your advice.

Edit: I've heard slightly different opinions from a pair of audiophile friends — one of them said that the Kann Max is meant more for headphones, and it's not different noticeably superior to the SR35 when it comes to IEMs. The other person said that the Kann Max is definitely superior, even with IEMs. I realize this is subjective, but in case someone has experience comparing the two with IEMs, please let me know if there is a significant difference in terms of clarity and detail. Thanks!

While I appreciate any responses referring to other brands, I plan to stick to Astell & Kern for now. Their sound profile (clear details) just suit me better, though I realize this is subjective. I eventually hope to save for a Luxury and Precision LP6 (or the next model), though this will probably take several years. In the meantime, I am looking for a mid-level DAP with clear detailed sound (not bassy, though a bit of warmth is fine) that is especially suited for listening to classical music.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh you only posted this month! I thought it was from a year ago lol.. what made you go for the Max? (other than how awesome it looks) :sunglasses:
Yes, I am a newbie and only posted last week. I choose Kann Max, because this will be my only source for the next couple of years or so, and it made sense to get the best DAP I could afford right now (if I really stretch…). I read a lot of reviews, and called various audio stores to speak to store experts for their comparisons of the SR 35 and Kann Max. Granted, they were probably going to push the more expensive product, but even stores that didn't have the Kann in stock advised that the Kann is worth the difference, and absolutely fantastic for clear, detailed sound, especially when it comes to lossless classical music (my main thing). And finally – this is a bit silly – but I really, really hate the SR35 design with its tilted screen (I know this is subjective). I didn't want to buy something that I might regret every time I look at it, so it was another reason to go in the Kann. Someday I hope to save for the Luxury and Precision LP6 (or latest model), but that's years away; the Kann will do very well for now.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Yes, I am a newbie and only posted last week. I choose Kann Max, because this will be my only source for the next couple of years or so, and it made sense to get the best DAP I could afford right now (if I really stretch…). I read a lot of reviews, and called various audio stores to speak to store experts for their comparisons of the SR 35 and Kann Max. Granted, they were probably going to push the more expensive product, but even stores that didn't have the Kann in stock advised that the Kann is worth the difference, and absolutely fantastic for clear, detailed sound, especially when it comes to lossless classical music (my main thing). And finally – this is a bit silly – but I really, really hate the SR35 design with its tilted screen (I know this is subjective). I didn't want to buy something that I might regret every time I look at it, so it was another reason to go in the Kann. Someday I hope to save for the Luxury and Precision LP6 (or latest model), but that's years away; the Kann will do very well for now.
I'm new to this forum but also to HQ audio - jumped into the IEMs with both feet already (seems to be highly addictive!) I am also going to buy the Kann Max as I want a powerful unit that can drive more IEMs. Good luck with yours!

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm new to this forum but also to HQ audio - jumped into the IEMs with both feet already (seems to be highly addictive!) I am also going to buy the Kann Max as I want a powerful unit that can drive more IEMs. Good luck with yours!
Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your IEM and DAP adventures! From what I understand, the Kann is among the best, if not the best, in its price range for clarity and detail (not bassy or thumpy - Sony might be more suited there). You might want to call up a few places like Moon Audio, Bloom Audio etc beforehand and speak to someone as it's definitely an investment, but one that will be worth it!

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 11
Hello everyone,I'm new here and apologize if I'm using this thread incorrectly, but I have a similar question with my own specifics.
I'm seeking help in choosing a music player, and my options are between the SR35 and Kann MAX. I recently sold my SR25 and plan to get something else.My usage pattern is a bit unusual: 20% of the time, I use the player with headphones; 40% of the time, I listen to music via Bluetooth through various home systems (Yamaha monitors, Polk Audio home theater); the remaining 40% of the time, I listen to music in the car either through a cable or via Bluetooth.I mostly use the Tidal streaming service with the background playback option (downloading music to the device's memory).
From my experience with the SR25, I want to highlight the following points:
  • The system lags when using Tidal with a large number of saved playlists.
  • Some versions of Tidal are unstable, so I had to search for the right and stable apk.
  • I had to replace the battery twice in 3 years of usage.
I kindly ask the community to help me choose a device, taking into account my usage pattern. I'm attracted to the SR35 because of its new operating system and the hope for faster performance. As for the Kann MAX, it would be a new experience for me. I understand that it offers superior sound quality, but I'm afraid I might encounter the same issues I had with the SR25.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 11
I had the same dilemma and just couldn't decide. I eventually waited and saved as much money as I could. So I'm going for SE300 at the end of this month.
My main reasoning is the increased performance, sonically and UI. It's taken nearly a year to get here, but the anticipation alone has been worth it.
I've been tempted over and over, especially when I read about the SR35. Why is this such a difficult hobby???

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 11
I had the same dilemma and just couldn't decide. I eventually waited and saved as much money as I could. So I'm going for SE300 at the end of this month.
My main reasoning is the increased performance, sonically and UI. It's taken nearly a year to get here, but the anticipation alone has been worth it.
I've been tempted over and over, especially when I read about the SR35. Why is this such a difficult hobby???

Ha ha ha. I've thought about that too... and even considered more expensive manufacturers. It all comes down to how each person uses the device. As I mentioned earlier, I mostly stream music to other sources wirelessly, and direct headphone listening doesn't take up much of my time. That's why I'm inclined to buy something like the NAD M10 or a similar device. I'm most likely going to go with the SR35, but before that, I'll also consider the Fiio M15s and iBasso. After all, I want the player to be responsive... Please share your impressions! I wish you enjoyable experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back