Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Oct 10, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #271 of 615
I think that in the Dignis case these two rubber anti-slip strips are useful and they do the job when we combine them into a sandwich with DAP - but this price :rolling_eyes:
Still no sight on Ali... the smoked TPU silicone version for PA10

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #272 of 615
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #273 of 615
Pa10 complements r2r dac very well

20231011_115509.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #274 of 615
Curious as to what folks here use for charging their PA-10's. I've only used a standard 5V/2A charger and charging takes quite a while. I know that A&K also recommends 9V/1.67A for fast charging.

Any comments on your charging gear and average amount of charging time from around fully discharged to full charge?

And what type of charger do you use?

Thanks for any advice!

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #275 of 615
Curious as to what folks here use for charging their PA-10's. I've only used a standard 5V/2A charger and charging takes quite a while. I know that A&K also recommends 9V/1.67A for fast charging.

Any comments on your charging gear and average amount of charging time from around fully discharged to full charge?

Thanks for any advice!
I've been using my Apple iPhone charger (20W USB-C, I believe). It takes me about 5, or perhaps 6 hours to charge my PA-10.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #276 of 615

Thanks for any advice!
for all my DAP,DAC and AMP I always using 1A - I sacrifice at long charging time for longer batt life

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #277 of 615
Thanks for the comments--My last charge, which I think was the 2nd or 3rd since I got my PA-10, I used a 5V/2A and from total discharge it took over 12 hours for the blue light to stop blinking. That seems abnormally long but it could be the charger is starting to go. The unit otherwise works fine and I got several hours of use before it went red again and drained completely. I've got a few charging bricks and specifically a 9V/1.67A (which is recommended in the manual for fast charging) from a Samsung smartphone that I'll try next time.

I certainly see the value of slow charging for battery preservation which was why I was going the 5V/2A route initially. It was interesting as the amp new out of the box was almost completely discharged--red light-- but just to make sure it worked before I charged it I tested it, but only got about a minute of use before kaput. Don't know how long it had been sitting in sealed stock mode after manufacture, or if it was ever fully charged from factory; maybe they like to only minimally charge at the factory for shipping safety.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #280 of 615
What changes do you find with burn-in? How much burn-in time, roughly?

Every thing has just gotten sweeter.
It was harsh in the beginning with a very upfront sound.
Almost as if it was trying too impress.

Now it’s far more laid back .
Music is presented as a whole.
A wonderful bass kick when called for.

I think i probably have over 100-150 hours on it now.

I haven’t really experienced any amplifier that has changed this much and I have owned several valve amps over the years.

I’m sure people over look this amp because it’s not in the kilo buck class .

The other thing is the battery life.
It’s outstanding for something this powerful.
I never use high gain.
No need.

Be interesting to see if AK bring other amps to market .

I’m very happy with it.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #281 of 615
Every thing has just gotten sweeter.
It was harsh in the beginning with a very upfront sound.
Almost as if it was trying too impress.

Now it’s far more laid back .
Music is presented as a whole.
A wonderful bass kick when called for.

I think i probably have over 100-150 hours on it now.

I haven’t really experienced any amplifier that has changed this much and I have owned several valve amps over the years.

I’m sure people over look this amp because it’s not in the kilo buck class .

The other thing is the battery life.
It’s outstanding for something this powerful.
I never use high gain.
No need.

Be interesting to see if AK bring other amps to market .

I’m very happy with it.
Same thing with my unit, burn in changes the sound.

Oct 25, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #282 of 615
It's usually said that class a amps on start need a bit of time to begin playing back optimally. Do you guys preheat your unit? I find that pa10 sounds anemic first few minutes. After being turned on for ~15mins it sound optimal. No playback required, just having it on. And I noticed the same pattern with my acro ca1000 which has ak class a amp too.

20231025_091617.jpg

Oct 25, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #283 of 615
That is what I have found also. I usually give it a few minutes but that is not enough. I find it congested and veiled on startup.

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #284 of 615
If you have doubts whether the Astell&Kern PA10, which has been on the market for 6 months and even on the A&K website is difficult to find and there is little data, because it is an amplifier for DAP/Dongle 4.4m. It is a balanced class-A portable amplifier and is it for you and what I think this is the best review by a Japanese friend Sandalaudio (kind regards), so read this link. Yes, I also recommend a balanced 4.4mm-to-4.4mm connection.
Enjoy reading.

https://sandalaudio-blogspot-com.tr...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back