Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #2,641 of 2,750
It happened the same to me too. I ordered a new battery from Aliexpress and replaced it myself. You will need to tools for screws. It's quite easy. Just have to be a bit more careful when you connect the battery to the part. It could get loose.
Well mine just died after just over a year. Won't turn on and won't charge. Battery has been behaving fine and no swelling apparent. Need to contact the local shop I bought it from.:triportsad:

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,643 of 2,750
I finally sent it to be repaired in Germany where the European service is provided. Buying the battery was available in alliexpress but it was gong to take 2 months to arrive, that combined with my lack of trust after bad experiences with Aliexpress and my own rather limited manual capabilities, took me to the official repair service. I will report when its back. Many thanks to those with advice either here and in private messages!

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,644 of 2,750
I finally sent it to be repaired in Germany where the European service is provided. Buying the battery was available in alliexpress but it was gong to take 2 months to arrive, that combined with my lack of trust after bad experiences with Aliexpress and my own rather limited manual capabilities, took me to the official repair service. I will report when its back. Many thanks to those with advice either here and in private messages!
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with AliExpress. I might be the lucky one that got a good battery. In fact it last longer when playing the music than the original one.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,645 of 2,750
Unlikely that the SR25 will receive the new UI

Is the SR12 going to get any more updates to it's software, please?

I have been hoping that it can have albums with differing artisist without breaking the album into many albums.

At the moment an album that has many artists just gets split into a load of albums. One album in the library for evey guest artist.

E.g. An album I have on the SR25.
Gladiator - Music from the Motion Picture by Hans Zimmer.

Under Hans Zimmer in my library there are ten of the tracks in place.
Meanwhile seven more of the tracks from that album are listed separately under other artists who appear in the tracks. Those tracks are scattered alphabetically throughout my library, depending on the name of the guest artist or vocalist.

Like one track called Now we are Free, is listed under 'L', because the singer is Leona Lewis. Meaning I have a Leona Lewis library entry, even though I do not have any Leona Lewis album on the SR25. (Nothing wrong with Leona Lewis - just saying.)

Either I have the settings wrong, or one of the most basic functions for a DAP is not in the firmware.
This brings me to a full stop with A&K, discouraging me from ever thinking about getting another in the future.

EDIT: I suppose I should not worry too much though. I guess it's not too much of an issue to not put albums on the SR25 that get split up. ... Only about a year ago someone from A&K said that they were looking at getting it sorted.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,646 of 2,750
@GreenBow, try to put "Hans Zimmer" into "Album Artist" tag for all files from this album ("Gladiator - Music from the Motion Picture by Hans Zimmer").
Then (if I'm not mistaken) all tracks should be presented there, when you use navigation by Artist.
Or you may simply use navigation by Folders instead of navigation by Artist.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #2,648 of 2,750
@GreenBow, try to put "Hans Zimmer" into "Album Artist" tag for all files from this album ("Gladiator - Music from the Motion Picture by Hans Zimmer").
Then (if I'm not mistaken) all tracks should be presented there, when you use navigation by Artist.
Or you may simply use navigation by Folders instead of navigation by Artist.

I do not understand what you are saying.

This method you suggest worked fine on my Sony ZX300 Walkman, when I was stuck years ago. I even entered a post suggesting to someone else to try that for the SR25, in this thread.

However I can't even see 'album - artist' settings on the SR25.

I have searched in the manual a few times and looked over the DAP often, over the last year.

Am not grumbling; am just distressed at trying to fix it, since I keep trying. That's why I concluded the best thing to do is not put albums that it splits up, on the player. (Your method of playing a folder would work to play the full album.) However it does not clean up the many entries by different artists, for the album in the artist library

There should be a global 'artist - album' setting, but there are no library settings of any kind in the settings.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #2,649 of 2,750
OK, I've tested "Album Artist" approach today, using Twin Peaks OST as example:
- 8 tracks have Artist tag = "Angelo Badalamenti";
- 3 tracks have Artist tag = "Julee Cruise";
- all 11 tracks have Album Artist tag = "Angelo Badalamenti".

Unfortunately, this approach doesn't work as it should for SR25II - when I browse by Artist, I see there:
- Angelo Badalamenti with only 8 tracks in "Twin Peaks" album;
- Julee Cruise with remaining 3 tracks.
Expected/desired behavior in this scenario:
- Angelo Badalamenti with all 11 tracks in "Twin Peaks" album;
- Julee Cruise should not be presented at all, when browsing by Artist.

Workaround - put "Angelo Badalamenti" or ("Hans Zimmer" for Gladiator OST) in Artist tag for all tracks of corresponding album.

Jun 21, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #2,652 of 2,750
I'm wondering if anyone is using SR25 (I or II) with bluetooth earphones outdoors?

I have VERY bad experience with Technics AZ60 - it barely works only with SBC codec.
When I try LDAC, connection is very unstable (constant interruptions), so it's impossible to listen.
Absolutely no problem (with these earphones and LDAC outdoors), when I switch from SR25II to the phone (ASUS Zenfone 8).
In both cases (phone or DAP) I keep the device in a shoulder bag and earphones - in ears :), so the distance is only about 2-3 feet.

Any suggestions?
Perhaps, some other TWS brands/models work better (in terms of keeping the connection stable outdoors) with SR25II than AZ60?

P.S. When I'm indoors, SR25II / Technics AZ60 / LDAC combo works fine.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,653 of 2,750
I'm wondering if anyone is using SR25 (I or II) with bluetooth earphones outdoors?

I have VERY bad experience with Technics AZ60 - it barely works only with SBC codec.
When I try LDAC, connection is very unstable (constant interruptions), so it's impossible to listen.
Absolutely no problem (with these earphones and LDAC outdoors), when I switch from SR25II to the phone (ASUS Zenfone 8).
In both cases (phone or DAP) I keep the device in a shoulder bag and earphones - in ears :), so the distance is only about 2-3 feet.

Any suggestions?
Perhaps, some other TWS brands/models work better (in terms of keeping the connection stable outdoors) with SR25II than AZ60?

P.S. When I'm indoors, SR25II / Technics AZ60 / LDAC combo works fine.
im used very nice ldac and az60. but now use fioo utws5 + meze rai parnta. and bose QCE II . wonderfull sound.

Jun 23, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #2,654 of 2,750
IMG_1413.jpeg
My SR25 is back from the repair service. 77 euros including the return delivery. 20 more for the delivery from Spain to Germany. I had to do a factory reset since it did not seem to be able to connect online. After the reset everything seems to be back to normal and working. I still love the sound of this little player with the Denon AH-D7200.
i just hope to have someday Apple Music Classical in the SR25.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #2,655 of 2,750
IMG_1413.jpegMy SR25 is back from the repair service. 77 euros including the return delivery. 20 more for the delivery from Spain to Germany. I had to do a factory reset since it did not seem to be able to connect online. After the reset everything seems to be back to normal and working. I still love the sound of this little player with the Denon AH-D7200.
i just hope to have someday Apple Music Classical in the SR25.
my sr25ii good too. but my eyes agging si without glasses hard to see small song list . bought for small light weight , but now see change ro bigger svreen dap. hiby R6 II is good option? or see at any other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back