Astell & Kern Zero2
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pepper606

New Head-Fier
I've had the AK zero2 for 6 days now, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts.
The packaging is really good, high quality as you'd expect.
The 2 cables are high quality (3.5mm & 4.4mm), microphonics aren't an issue. I'm using the 4.4mm, into A&K SE300. The SE300 is a warm sounding DAP but as its by the same people I anticipated really good synergy.

For clarity I'll explain my first listen briefly as it's just not representative of this IEM. I was immediately disappointed by the sheer lack of bass. A real uhoh moment with insta return in my mind, it was that bad. I tried for an hour and was just getting upset. I gave up and left them playing to themselves for 24 hours in the forlorn hope a miracle might happen.

The bass turned out to be everything I'd hoped for. So a mini burn was really needed.
It's just sublime, responsive to every track I've tested with. Bass heavy or light, it got it right. It's not muddy at all, the really good separation helps massively. It just sounds "real".
It's as if it is tailoring track by track. I've tested with every kind of track I can think of and was very impressed.
I even listened to my first rap song and it kicked out huge bass, so it's definitely capable, and versatile.

Mids are excellent, it doesn't favour male or female vocals.
I even tested with Ivan Rebroff and his 4 octave range which is an experience!
Everything is so precisely executed, not in a sterile way, its a warm sound. Just done really well.

The highs are the best. Definitely the strongest suit of the Zero2.
I'm very treble sensitive, sibilance is torture. So I'm delighted that I can hear high hats, cymbals and vocals as they are meant to be without a worry.

The sound stage is very wide, the height is decent. It's large but not stadium. Separation is excellent, I have to emphasise this aspect because its enabling every sound to work so well

Here comes the bad news. The nozzles are short, the supplied tips 8mm long. So the IEM had to be pushed into the ear too far. Too far because of the corner/angle below the nozzle which is made even more prominent by an inner chamfer.
This was touching my ear and making a sensitive spot
Tip rolling solved this problem, Spinfit 145 large are 9.9mm long and long enough to prevent contact. I actually measured everything with a set of Vernier calipers, for accuracy. The stock tips are 4.25mm barrell, while the spinfits are 4.5mm. A slightly warmer sound which I definitely preferred. I also tested with the W1, this had the opposite effect. So there are options.
I managed a continuous 6 hours, phone call, another 4 hours. Now I pretty much use them all day.
This is my personal experience, yours could be completely different!

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the AK Zero2, I took a risk and it has definitely paid off. I haven't tried the Monarch 2 or 3 but I reckon the Zero2 will be very difficult to beat. Maybe someone will be able to do a real in depth review?

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 5
20240216_035900.jpg
20240216_035726.jpg
20240216_035638.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 5
I ended up using the Spinfit W1 tips. The lows are the same, the mids get more air and the highs clearer. They also increase the soundstage, its a different experience overall. I definitely didn't listen properly first time. Oh, and they are stickier in the ear so they don't move at all.
I prefer Spinfit because the increased lows, I'm in my 50s so I appreciate the boost. Younger ears will have a wider selection.
I tried to capture the 'annoying corner' but it just looks insignificant, I almost forgot it was an issue at all.
I seem to be using them for around 8 hours a day on average, totally love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back