ATH-AD700 better cable than AD900?
Mar 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Der Germane

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

yesterday I got an AD900 (Made in Japan) and compared it to my AD700 (Made in Taiwan). The AD900 clearly surpasses the AD700 in terms of clearness over the whole acoustic spectrum.

The build quality of the AD900 seems to be better, but I wonder why the AD700 has a better cable. Maybe I'm wrong and the cable of the AD700 is not better, but it feels better (improved flexibility) and even so it has an inscription on it "ART LINK TITAN audio technica Japan". The cable of the AD900 is less flexible, slightly thinner and has no inscription on it.

Does someone know something about the two different cables?

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 6
I've also noticed this. My friend's AD700 is actually made in Taiwan... I think they do this to cut labor costs in order to afford the better cabling. Why the cable isn't as good on the AD900 beats me though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
I wouldn't say it is better. It is just a cable after all
tongue.gif
. Anyway, the rest of the upper AD line has the same cable as the AD900.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 6
I have both at home right now, but didn't immediately notice the cable differences.  I'll check tonight.

One thing however, more stiff usually means a lower gauge metal for the conductor, and that's usually a good thing.  :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 6
D G - I thought I misread your comment, but I didn't, but you have it wrong.  Sort of.  :)

Mine are the same as yours: AD700's from Taiwan, and the AD900's from Japan.  The cable on the AD700's is labelled from Japan and is the stiffer cable.  (Drape both cables over an extended finger.  The AD900 cable has more curve, hence is more flexible.)

The AD700 cable is slightly beefier (heavier) just like you said.

If they were detachable, I'd switch them.  But they aren't.  Don't know if I'd try to take them apart and swap them though.  (Anyone here ever take these types of AT's apart before?)

But I also agree with you about the sound.  While I do like the AD700's, the AD900's simply outperform them across the board (well, more involving midrange at least, but that makes them more balanced overall IMO).  Kind of a mystery why the set from Taiwan has the nice Japanese cable, and the ones from Japan have a cheaper "no name" cable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back