ATH-AD900 vs HD595
Apr 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
It is that time again. After returning my AD700 due to its lack off bass and recessed mids, I'm once again searching for a general-purpose headphone. Price and everything considered, I have narrowed down my choices to these 2 headphones.

These are the criterias that I need:
- The headphone will be driven from my laptop, PC w/ Envy 24-based Aureon Space and my NWZ-A818
- The headphone must sound good unamped.
- I mostly listen to instrumental (think of movie soundtracks), rock, hip hop and some pop. My files are mostly mp3 320k with some lossless here and there.
- I also watch movies and game occasionally with the cans so it has to be able to do these things to a certain degree.
- It has to be comfortable. I tried the MS-1 before but couldn't stand having a clamp on my head.

I also consider the DT880 and Denon D2000 but these two are in a much higher price range and horribly overpriced here in Germany (especially the latter). Furthermore, it seems that an amplifier is needed to drive the DT880 properly so it's probably out of my league. The D2000 on the other hand, can be considered too if it fits my criteria.

Go ahead and poison me, fellow Head-Fiers. Cheers and Thanks in advance!

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the AD700, listen to classical music, and the bass is fine. This shows the bass requirements for classical and pop music are much different. The AD700 is not my best phone but when I compare it to my HD700, MS1 and K701 the bass is fine.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 14
I can tolerate the bass fine but the midrange is something that I really need and the AD700 seriously lacks that. Female vocals just sounded so... dull compared to my C700.

On further research, it seems that the D2000 is supposed to destroy the HD595 but it's more expensive than the DT880 here in Germany...

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 14
I suspect you would find similar results with the AD900 as you did the AD700, which is not to suggest you would prefer the HD595 over the AD900. Both should work well without an amp and for your uses. And both are comfortable, although I found the HD595 more comfortable than my A900 (not the AD900). If you're not comfortable the AT sound, then I say try the HD595. And based on what I've read, I would not consider the D2000 or DT800 unless expecting to amp it at some point.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 is not my best phone but when I compare it to my HD700, MS1 and K701 the bass is fine.

How is that HD700?

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is that HD700?

The nice thing about most classical music (excluding organ music) is low bass is often just an ocassional thing. This means phones like the K501 and AD700 which have reputations among pop listeners for being bass shy phones are fine for classical music. This also means if the bass is lean, there's less chance it will pollute the midrange. Several people have said the AD700 has a mid frequency slump. I haven't heard this and the AD700 frequency response graph on a Japanese headphone site (ƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ audio-technica ATH-AD700) seems to confirm this.

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 14
they sure do.

also, why upgrade from the AD700 to AD900? i doubt it'll be a big difference. the hd595 also lacks in the bass department (especially since you have a laptop powering it)

the D2000 is only a bit more pricy than the HD595... =DDD

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Well, AD700 is almost perfect for me so I'd figure if the AD900 fixes the issues of anemic bass and recessed mids, it would be perfect for me. I love the comfort, ease to drive and clarity of the AD700.

Denon, on the other hand, also looks interesting and if it sounds a bit like my C700, more the better because I seem to like this sound signature.

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 14
The MS1 ($99 shipped) nicely complements the AD700 and avoids the trap of thinking that more expensive phones in a marque necessarily fix whats wrong with cheaper ones. If they augment the bass does it pollute the midrange as it often does when you're dealing with one driver that tries to do it all?

You may enjoy reading this comparison of the AD700 and MS1:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sho...ms-1-a-246218/

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 14
I think we can tick off the HD595 from the list now. Damn, I should have included the Denon D2000 in the thread title.
biggrin.gif

Now, can anyone comment on this? Taken from an old thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...-d2000-247256/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman
I own the D2000, and have had a pair of AD900's in my possession a few times also. Last week, for the first time, I had them side by side. I'll do my best to provide impressions, but let me start by saying, while I can clearly hear the differences in the two headphones... I am not so good at translating that into words.

But, I think the biggest difference is simply in design. One is open, one is closed. I think the closed headphones give you a more intimate listening experience, but there is something about the openness of the AD900 that just feels right. I can't quite identify it, but there is a feeling to an open headphone that a closed one just cannot provide. Comfort is a big deal to me, and I am torn here. I think the pad shape and material of the D2000 is more comfortable, but I prefer the open feeling of the AD900. So, it's basically a tie here... you can simply side to whichever you prefer.

As far as sound, I think the most noticeable difference is in the bass. I think it again attributed greatly to the closed design, but the D2000 have a much deeper, more impactful bass. Personally, I love this. I am not a fan of cans such as Darth Beyers. Just the same, I think that the bass on the AD900 is slightly lacking. I am hard to please here, and the D2000 do an excellent job at being right where I want them. Another difference I noticed right away, the AD900 seems to be very much so brighter. The highs are much more pronounced. In some situations, such as cymbals, I think this is great. However, in some situations, they seemed a bit to sibilant and got fatiguing. Particularity with high pitched vocals I noticed this. As far as midrange goes, both are solid IMHO. Both handle guitars excellently, and except for the high pitched vocals being to shrill with the AD900, both lay out vocals excellently.

Ultimately, if I had to choose, I would take the D2000 over the AD900. However, with all the headphones I've heard, the AD900 would probably be my second choice, and would make a perfect compliment can. If for some reason I couldn't have the D2000, I would be perfectly happy with the AD900. Both cans will likely appeal to different tastes. If you like a darker presentation with deep bass and boomy percussion, the D2000 is the clear choice. If you want a brighter, slightly more laid back headphone, the AD900 would be smarter. They are close in price, and really, I think the bottom line is, go with your gut. Both are great headphones, you shouldn't end up disappointed either way.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we can tick off the HD595 from the list now. Damn, I should have included the Denon D2000 in the thread title.
biggrin.gif

You could start another thread if you want.

Quote:

Now, can anyone comment on this? Taken from an old thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...-d2000-247256/

I think this Head-Fier did a very credible job of comparing these two cans. I suspect the problems mentioned with the AD900 were in part attributable to the source hardware and software used. Apparently the D2000 is more forgiving and worked well for this Head-Fier without amping. Unless you prefer a brighter, more open presentation, you'll probably be quite pleased with the D2000. But if not, you could sell it or buy an amp.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

These are the criterias that I need:
- The headphone will be driven from my laptop, PC w/ Envy 24-based Aureon Space and my NWZ-A818
- The headphone must sound good unamped.
- I mostly listen to instrumental (think of movie soundtracks), rock, hip hop and some pop. My files are mostly mp3 320k with some lossless here and there.
- I also watch movies and game occasionally with the cans so it has to be able to do these things to a certain degree.
- It has to be comfortable. I tried the MS-1 before but couldn't stand having a clamp on my head.

Don't give up on the HD595 just yet. For a while I was considering both the HD595 and the AH-D2000 but ended up with the HD595 due to the huge price difference. While I haven't actually listened to the Denons, I am not sorry I chose the HD595. I really love them, and they seem to meet a lot of your demands; they sound surprisingly good unamped (I listen mainly to alternative pop and rock) with my iriver Clix2, are great with movies (through my M-audio Ozone interface), and they are incredibly comfortable. They do, however, improve quite a bit soundwise when driven by my Eyetek tube amp, but I suppose most headphones improve with proper amplification.
I got them on Ebay for about 120 Euros, which is about half the price I would be able to find the Denons for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back