ATH-AD900X vs AKG Q 701 for gaming? I want the best sound stage and depth of audio for around $200.
May 2, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 5
  Can someone answer me quickly, i have to order the headphones today.

It would help to know what sources your plugging the headphones into?
The AD900X is easy to drive, where as the Q701 is a little more power hungry.

May 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 5
This is honestly where I am confused as well -- I am looking at plugging my headphones directly into my laptop.  Everything I read seems to require the AKGs to be plugged into an amp -- I had A500s that just kicked the can and now I need a replacement.  I loved Audio Technica so switching to another maker is worrisome.  

Sorry for stealing this thread but OP obviously didnt deliver...

So Imagining now for a second I plug these badboys into a Razer Blade 14 (2014) laptop which will preform best... 

May 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 5
I went for the Q701's.

I like the headphones and im just plugging them into the Xonar DS 7.1 i just bought.

The Soundstage is nice, but it is honestly a new experience for me. So i would love to have tried the A900x or the A700.

Left and right sounds are great, but its honestly hard for me to tell if a sound is coming from the front or back. Maybe i just have to mess with some settings on the xonar sound center?

Idk. Maybe im just asking to much and the sound im looking for is not possible.

May 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 5
  This is honestly where I am confused as well -- I am looking at plugging my headphones directly into my laptop.  Everything I read seems to require the AKGs to be plugged into an amp -- I had A500s that just kicked the can and now I need a replacement.  I loved Audio Technica so switching to another maker is worrisome.  

Sorry for stealing this thread but OP obviously didn't deliver...

So Imagining now for a second I plug these badboys into a Razer Blade 14 (2014) laptop which will preform best... 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.
(some times there are good deals on used A900Xs on EBay)
Plus get some Hifiman HE Velour ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back