ATH m50 disappointment, need some new headphones.
Jun 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

tehgreatguy

New Head-Fier

Hey everyone, A while back I was influenced by a lot of people and not just posters on this site but others that the ATH m50s where some of the best headphones around. I have used for about 6 months and must say they just didnt do the job for me. I dont get that amazing bass response that everyone is talking about, I assume that the IPOD doesnt run it well with out an amp. Its pretty good when plugged into PC but...the headphones themselves are to tight around my head. Also its like 80 degrees, I cant even wear them on me for more than an hour with out my ears swelling up...and did I mention they where tight? I  did get a chance to travel with them, if you are in motion they didnt really do the job, Im going to say that these are really studio headphones and require just minimal movement when equiped

Bass was balanced but not as what it sounded like coming from forum posters. The sound quality was awesome, but it didnt make me feel an audiophile experience. If you guys had anymore questions on the cans just ask...they just didnt do it for me though

So I was wondering what other good headphones are around $60-160 that have good portability good sound and good bass. I will be on the move a lot in a city, and will be taking them to college classes ect

Music:Trance,Electronica.
(Might give you some more info on what headphones can give best sound quality to those genres)

Thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT: sorry if I posted in the wrong thread

-Nick

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 50
Have you looked into the ultrasone DJ line yet?  They're a bit more compact and provide more of a bass-hump that bass-lovers might like, but you'll still probably heat your ears up unless you're going with open-eared headphones with velour pads.

The M50 does have very good bass, but not in overwhelming quantity like some bass-heads might like.  It does however extend very low, and with plenty of presence in those low lows, which a lot of headphones can't do that well.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 50

Quote:
Have you looked into the ultrasone DJ line yet?  They're a bit more compact and provide more of a bass-hump that bass-lovers might like, but you'll still probably heat your ears up unless you're going with open-eared headphones with velour pads.

The M50 does have very good bass, but not in overwhelming quantity like some bass-heads might like.  It does however extend very low, and with plenty of presence in those low lows, which a lot of headphones can't do that well.

k maybe I was pretty harsh on the ATH, like they are good, I like them but they just dont really suit me. From a lot of people they told me they where amazing. As stupid as this sounds, I use Steelseries gaming head set, the V1 Siberia, amazing quality and lacks the bass as the ATH, if it had the bass it would be the same sound as the ath if not better, but I will for sure check out the ultrasone right now.

ps:you know anything about the Allen & Heath Xone XD-40

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 50
What colour was the box that your M50 came in? Supposedly there is a white box and a blue box version. Mine came in a blue box and is very bass heavy. Perhaps you have the neutral version instead. I realize this doesn't help you any, but I'm just curious to know.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 50
I dislike my M50 too, and wouldnt recommend them to anyone. IMO the sony V6 is better. 

or as one user already said, save for the HD25, regarded the best portable. or you could sell the M50 here in the "For Sale" forums, if you dont want to keep it. Although the HD25 have less bass than the M50, in quantity, but its more tight and accurate, it also has a better punch.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 50
I enjoyed the M50 for the short time that I had it, it was very neutral and extended well on both the highs and lows (white box version) but the major thing that made me ultimately sell it off after only 3 or so weeks, was its comfort.  It actually had a really good fit, but I couldn't stand having sweaty ears, so I eventually got another open can.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 50
I don't think anyone who recommends the ATH-M50 suggests they are the best headphones ever - they are recommended a lot because they are the only answer to the most frequently asked question by new comers to audio forums -

"I'm looking for headphones around £100, over ear, that keep the noise out so I can use them on the bus and I'll be using them with my ipod - what should I get?"

The automatic answer is the ATH-M50 as very little else ticks all those boxes.

If you replace the 1 with a 2 or a 3 in that sentence I think you'd find that a much broader range of phones got suggested.

But really, they are just very good for the price. I prefer them to quite a few other phones in the same basic price range I've tried (the lower Denons, Ultrasone HFI-780, Senn HD-25-1-II, AiAiAi TMA1) and they were all more expensive.

They are solid performers but aren't going to give you a hifi experience and you just aren't going to get that for a hundred quid and change.

As others have said, try the HD25-1-II as well - they certainly have more bass and treble and a "funner" sound that might appeal more. I prefer the M50 personally but its all down to personal preference.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
What colour was the box that your M50 came in? Supposedly there is a white box and a blue box version. Mine came in a blue box and is very bass heavy. Perhaps you have the neutral version instead. I realize this doesn't help you any, but I'm just curious to know.

http://ani-culture.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DSC00947.jpg

I dont want to get the notion that they are bad, They are good just I dont think they are my type of cans, I couldnt test them out at the local guitar center But I think I will do more heavy research next time I get around. Also please keep commenting on other cans, im still looking for a replacement

And I will probably start to sell them on the other thread soon.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 50
I've been reading more and more of these kind of threads on the M50's lately.

I've also experienced the group-think syndrome here multiple times.

The HD-25II has never disappointed anybody. They're built pretty damn good and they'll be lightweight like a gaming headset should be. There isn't anything they're not good at just like the M50 and I've actually owned this pair. The M50 seems to just be rumored to be good at everything and I'm honestly not that sure that everybody that says that has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back