ATH-M50 + iPhone (+amp?)
Jun 25, 2011 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vleermuis

New Head-Fier
Hi fellas

I'm pretty new to this forum, it has helped me discover a lot of useful info!

I am thinking of buying the ATH-M50 because they operate at 38 ohm, and I am going to use them on my iPhone most of the time, followed by my pc.

Do I have to use an amp on the M50's to boost the iPhone's sound output? Or is the iPhone's sound output on these HP's enough?

If I DO need an amp for the M50's then I have to consider buying the BeyerDynamic 770's (80 or 250ohm).

Cheers

ps. When I own my new hp's I will stick a little longer on this site, I love the community here.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 7
The Beyers (from other users' opinions) needs amps to be driven properly. The M50s on the other hand, do not.

From my experience from the M50 from the iPod Touch (4G), the volume is enough. Buying them ampless is not a problem.

As a customary welcome, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Heya,

No amp needed for the M50.

Another Beyer option that would not need an amp (if you like the feel of the wonderful beyer cushions): DT860

Ultimately cheaper to go M50's for an entry into the world of hifi since you won't need an amp and it will have a wide range to cover most of what you'll listen to. But you should try them on first, not everyone finds them comfortable.

Very best,

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 7
@crinacla: "sorry about your wallet" hahaha that's funny because it's true
atsmile.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 7
So I've been using the MP50's for quite some time now, and I love them very much. They are comfortable but not extremely comfortable wearing them for a long time. They sound great, also using iPhone I don't need an amplifier.

I'm very happy I found this great website for all the info ^^ One day I'll buy my 2nd pair of great headphones! I'll keep watching the forums here in the mean time.

cheers

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi there! I am a new M50 owner as well. Usage time, about 4 days
beyersmile.png

IMO, I don't think the M50 require an amp when paired with an iPod or any other portable player. They are so easy to drive and have a life of its own.

I do have a FiiO E7 mainly for DAC usage, but when I did use it with my iPod (with L7 correction: L1 cable) I did not notice a significant difference. The bass was stronger and more extended and overall it was a bit brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back