ATH-M50 relief spring
Jun 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

busstonedfx

New Head-Fier

So like many others on here, I pulled out the spring by accident. I read the threads, and even watched the video on how to get it back in... I must be the dumbest person ever,  because I could NOT get it back in. So i got frustrated and destroyed the spring...

What would be my next best course of action? Should i cut the bottom crooked coils off, and try to stuff whats remaining of the spring back into the jack?

Or can I just take the thing off? How many of you guys are running the m50's springless? How has it held up for you?

I'd hate to be walking around with  a repair job waiting to happen... all because of this stupid spring! it is really BOTHERING ME... I can't even explain it. just having it there in its state would be no worse than taking it off... but I can't look at it!!

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow sir just wow 
biggrin.gif
... you should of found a better repair guide cause it literally takes less than 5 seconds to re-insert the spring after it pops out. Is the end (the part that used to be in the metal plug) different from the rest of the plug (like bent into different angle or something?)? If its not I would just cut off the really messed part of the spring and try to insert the remaining bit into the metal plug like you had already suggested. Some strain relief is better than none.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 5
lol @ the sir...

I'm telling you. I read everything there was, and I just couldn't do it. I like to think I'm somewhat good at following directions.... I was trying for like 2 hours, and it wouldn't go. I tried to screw it in clockwise while holding my fingernail there as a guide- it would go halfway in and then stop. Can't thread it anymore. Then I tried pulling it, while spinning it the other way.... got frustrated and bent the hell out of it..

Gotta find myself some wirecutters in this country-
The question is, will it have Less strain relief with the bottom 3-4 coils cut off?
I was assuming the wider coils had more to do with keeping it in the jack, and the tightly wound spring part was doing the strain relief.
Oh well- yeah it must be better than nothing...

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 5
I too faced the same problem.. I ruined the spring while trying to get it back in.. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can replace the strain relief spring.. if yes then suggest a place where i can get a replacement for the spring.. 

thanks in advance
Ashish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back