ATH-M50 Upgrade Question
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Warder45

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a common question. I've had 2 M50's for years and love them (one for home and one for work). I've cut wool socks to cover the ear pads for extra comfort and longevity. With the holidays coming up I've been trying to think of gifts and started wondering about an upgrade. While I love the M50's, I have to wonder if it's like my old XBR4 LCD before I upgraded to OLED, I just didn't know what I was missing lol.

I'd be looking to replace them as a gaming/music set. I say music as I love listening to the OST in games as well. The one thing I noticed with the M50's is that everything seems "in your face". Researching, that sounds like what folks call 'soundstage'. However I love the bass on them. Since I live in a small apartment with my GF, I can't go open back (TV from the living room in the next room would destroy immersion). But I'm curious about other closed back and semi-open headphones that might have similar bass but better soundstage.

I've read some conflicting things about semi-open headphones. Some reviews mentioned slight leakage both directions, some mentioned slight leakage of outside sounds coming in but nothing coming out, and many others mention it's just sound leakage coming out but nothing in. Could someone help me understand? Do different models have different characteristics? I'd be happy with nothing coming in but some leaking out if that got me more soundstage.

So far I looked at the DT-770 or DT-880's as they seem to be the next jump up from the M50's. My concern is that I tried replacement velour pads for my M50's the sound became terrible (and my ears sweaty). Are there any stores that have high end headphones hooked up?

Am I crazy? Should I just stick with the M50's? I have a soundblaster z which has virtualization features that can help with soundstage, but it's far from perfect.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I understand what you are saying about OLED have a 4K LG and just love it black is black now and some off grey. Depends on the budget.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm not looking to spend $1000, but $300 and under is fine. I'd imagine my I'm more constrained by my soundblaster z card than budget as once you get past a certain $ amount, it appears you really want to add a powerful DAC to the mix.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not looking to spend $1000, but $300 and under is fine. I'd imagine my I'm more constrained by my Sound Blaster Z card than budget as once you get past a certain $ amount, it appears you really want to add a powerful DAC to the mix.
For a closed headphone, check out the Soundmagic HP151.
For an open headphone, check out the Soundmagic HP200.
The SB-Z card makes a fairly decent DAC/amp, for it's price.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a common question. I've had 2 M50's for years and love them (one for home and one for work). I've cut wool socks to cover the ear pads for extra comfort and longevity. With the holidays coming up I've been trying to think of gifts and started wondering about an upgrade. While I love the M50's, I have to wonder if it's like my old XBR4 LCD before I upgraded to OLED, I just didn't know what I was missing lol.

I'd be looking to replace them as a gaming/music set. I say music as I love listening to the OST in games as well. The one thing I noticed with the M50's is that everything seems "in your face". Researching, that sounds like what folks call 'soundstage'. However I love the bass on them. Since I live in a small apartment with my GF, I can't go open back (TV from the living room in the next room would destroy immersion). But I'm curious about other closed back and semi-open headphones that might have similar bass but better soundstage.

I've read some conflicting things about semi-open headphones. Some reviews mentioned slight leakage both directions, some mentioned slight leakage of outside sounds coming in but nothing coming out, and many others mention it's just sound leakage coming out but nothing in. Could someone help me understand? Do different models have different characteristics? I'd be happy with nothing coming in but some leaking out if that got me more soundstage.

So far I looked at the DT-770 or DT-880's as they seem to be the next jump up from the M50's. My concern is that I tried replacement velour pads for my M50's the sound became terrible (and my ears sweaty). Are there any stores that have high end headphones hooked up?

Am I crazy? Should I just stick with the M50's? I have a soundblaster z which has virtualization features that can help with soundstage, but it's far from perfect.
I personally think you would benefit from upgrading.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 6
if you live near a guitar center they may have the DT770's in stock.. owning both the M50X's and the DT770's the DT770's are my favorite of the two.

I also own the DT880's and sound leakage out is an issue .. my wife will complain about this so i tend to use my 770's more .. The DT770's have a similar sound to the M50's but better... a decent amp is necessary with the DT770's they are much harder to drive than the M50's.

as to the previously mentioned Soundmagic headphones.. umm.. the build quality is not so hot on them soundmagic headphones you'll find many reports of broken hinges.. the DT770's are nearly bomb proof (mine are over 5 years old) you can get leather ear pads/fake leather ear pads for them (i've not tried any) .. the velour pads are comfortable (for me) .. however you'll want to figure on replacing them once a year~ as they wear out / degrade over time.. about $35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back