ATH-m50 vs dt770
May 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tingtongtay

New Head-Fier
I am interested in closed headphones and have never owned anything better than apple ipod earbuds. I just bought both the ATH-m50 and dt770 and I know that the m50 is considered overrated here (which is always the case for any good thing) and honestly just feel that the dt770 pales in comparison for the most part. I burned in the m50 cans but read that that doesn't do anything so I am not sure if I should try that with the dt770 as well. Also, I got the 32 ohm dt770 and they have to be turned almost all the way up on my ipod to get real good sound, so would I need an amp? It seems weird that I would for such low impedance. I am considering returning them for the 250 ohm and getting a fiio amp. What are your experiences with these two headsets? P.S. I am a full blown newb here!

May 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 6
  I am interested in closed headphones and have never owned anything better than apple ipod earbuds. I just bought both the ATH-m50 and dt770 and I know that the m50 is considered overrated here (which is always the case for any good thing) and honestly just feel that the dt770 pales in comparison for the most part. I burned in the m50 cans but read that that doesn't do anything so I am not sure if I should try that with the dt770 as well. Also, I got the 32 ohm dt770 and they have to be turned almost all the way up on my ipod to get real good sound, so would I need an amp? It seems weird that I would for such low impedance. I am considering returning them for the 250 ohm and getting a fiio amp. What are your experiences with these two headsets? P.S. I am a full blown newb here!

All versions of the DT770s sound better when used with a decent headphone amplifier.
At least one more powerful then the iPod's amp.
You might look into the Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, only 40-Ohm and easier to drive then the DT770s.

May 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I just ordered the DT770 250 ohm with a fiio e12 amp. What is the difference between 250, 80 and 32 ohm with respect to sound? How is the ATH-900 compared to the ATH-m50? Also, I 'burned in' my m50, does that really make a difference?

May 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 6
  I just ordered the DT770 250 ohm with a fiio e12 amp. What is the difference between 250, 80 and 32 ohm with respect to sound? How is the ATH-900 compared to the ATH-m50? Also, I 'burned in' my m50, does that really make a difference?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

May 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Burning in headphones does give an improvement. As you use them more, you get used to the sound signature. It isn't any change on the headphones, but how you perceive them. You can only burn them in by using them while they are on your ears in that sense, but letting them play on their own is burn in by the way of placebo, and placebo can make them sound better as well.

If you like the M50s, then they are great headphones for the price and don't need an amp. Getting an amp wont help them nearly as much as it will for most headphones, but it will still help. It seems like you want something better than the M50s though. If so, what are your musical preferences and what are you willing to spend (and whether you bought an amp yet or not). I can't tell you whether the DT770s are better when amped though, as I haven't tried them.

May 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I just bought a fiio e12 to try it out with the dt770. I really like a lot of music, I listen to a lot of sountracks (hans zimmer, phillip glass, etc.) classical music; electronic stuff like daft punk and justice; tons of alternative rock ranging from coldplay to led zepplin; and just any type of folk or rock. I listen to lots of everything except mainstream pop, most rap, and any metal. I want closed back just because I will use them during my commute and at work, otherwise I would have turned to something else. I really like a solid bass  but I also like a solid mid range. Anyways, not sure if that helps at all... I am willing to spend around $300 for either a headset or a combo with an amp. I'm tempted to just invest in the m50s and put the rest towards a new guitar or recording equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back