ATH M50 vs. ultrasone HFI-580 vs. Ultrasone Hfi-780
Jun 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aj michigan

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am a super noob at headphones, and I am looking to take my first step into high quality headphone world.

After doing some research I narrow my list to these three. But going through the reviews on this site, I heard great thing about all of them, making it hard to decide. 
frown.gif

1) ATH-M50

2) Ultrasone HFI-580

3) Ultrasone HFI-780

or any other suggestions, I prefer something that is portable(transportable). I will be using it in public so a close headphone will be better. I have a budget of $100-$200. 

To give a background:

1) I listen to basically every genre of music (rock, rap, hip-hop, piano, acoustic, pop etc. ). 

2) I am kinda a bass head, but not so powerful that the high and mids are overwhelmed by it.

Any advices will be very helpful,
THANK YOU! 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

Any other criteria? I suppose you want it so that you don't need an amp? Or are you willing to get into a portable amp? Do you have a preference on size? Do you like BIG cans or just... normal over-ear cans? Between M50 and an Ultrasone, I can't help but recommend the Ultrasone, but more like the Pro series with the cloth pads (so sexy, so comfortable compared to stuff that gets sweaty).

Also, style? Anything else that matters? I ask because frankly, Ultrasones look and feel nicer to me than AudioTechnica stuff. Matters to me when I'm out and about. May matter to you.

Very best,

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 8
hey MAIVeauX,

Thanks for the fast reply

I might get an amp in the future depending on the headphone I end up buying.From what I had been reading I might very likely get the Fiio E7, seems like it is a pretty universal and decent amp/dac.

As for the size of the can, I think something not too big, but still cover the ear is fine with me. 

I do like the look on both the Ultrasone 580 and 780, but looks does not concern me as much as the sound quality.

Do you have any previous experience with Ultrasone headphones? 
caz right now I am learning more toward the 780 or 580.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
hey MAIVeauX,

Thanks for the fast reply

I might get an amp in the future depending on the headphone I end up buying.From what I had been reading I might very likely get the Fiio E7, seems like it is a pretty universal and decent amp/dac.

As for the size of the can, I think something not too big, but still cover the ear is fine with me. 

I do like the look on both the Ultrasone 580 and 780, but looks does not concern me as much as the sound quality.

Do you have any previous experience with Ultrasone headphones? 
caz right now I am learning more toward the 780 or 580.

Heya,

I have the Ultrasone Pro 900. It's beasty. Bassy. Looks great. Cups swivel. Classy looking. Comfortable.

And E7 would do you well, even headphones that don't neccessarily need amping do well with an amp. If you don't need the DAC portion of the E7, save a few bucks and get the FiiO E11 (amp only, for about $60).

Also, check out the AudioTechnica 700 Pro Mk2.

Very best,

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 8

In short...

M50 - closer to neutral
780 - bass/neutral
580 - very bassy

I've heard all 3 but own the 780 for some time, it's a great headphone for anything electronic, however like most bass-forward headphones it isn't tonally accurate for real instruments. I can't say much on the M50 but research suggests it does okay with any genre, perhaps slightly boring? I think you would be very happy with the 780, works great without an amp, the downside however is some find it uncomfortable and hot.

And I would never bother with the Fiio, save your money.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I can't help but recommend the Ultrasone, but more like the Pro series with the cloth pads (so sexy, so comfortable compared to stuff that gets sweaty).

If having cloth pads is important, I should note that the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads fit on the HFI-580 and HFI-780. I'm using them on my 580s because I sweat easily and find them to work pretty well.

Another vote for Ultrasone from me. I personally prefer the 580s, but the sound is pretty similar with both models that you can't go wrong with either.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

In short...

M50 - closer to neutral
780 - bass/neutral
580 - very bassy

I've heard all 3 but own the 780 for some time, it's a great headphone for anything electronic, however like most bass-forward headphones it isn't tonally accurate for real instruments. I can't say much on the M50 but research suggests it does okay with any genre, perhaps slightly boring? I think you would be very happy with the 780, works great without an amp, the downside however is some find it uncomfortable and hot.

And I would never bother with the Fiio, save your money.

[size=medium]
When you said that the 580 is very bassy does it kill the highs and mids?

Can you go into a bit more detail on the 780? Such as the high and the mids?

What do you think about the build of the 780? Durable?

If i do decide on getting a portable amp. What would you suggest? what makes the Fiio E7 bad?

Thank you
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back