ATH-M50x if I already have HD598?
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

timmmmehh

New Head-Fier
Hey there! So I have been looking into getting a new pair of headphones. I currently own the Sennheiser 598 SR. I love these headphones, but because they are open-backed, I only use them on my computer when I play my games.

I have been wanting a headset that is closed and has a little bit more bass to use in public and when I play my instruments (guitar and drums) and have been eyeballing the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. I've read many good things about them but wonder if it's worth spending on if I already have these nice Sennheisers.

There is also the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro that looks interesting but have read that they are best with an amp, so for portability i'm not sure how well they would compare to the M50x.

Any thoughts?

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi... I own both the DT770 Pro 80's and the M50X's and I like both (I also have DT880 Pro 250's.. and sony mdr-v6's ..and some other stuff)

at home I mostly use my DT770's as my wife gripes about being able to hear my DT880's =\ so I can only really use them when she is gone..at which point I just use my speakers =p .. oh well.. blah blah open headphones don't seem to work at my house is the point.

back to the M50's and DT770's ... it is basically like this (according to me) they both have a similar "fun" v-shaped sound but with the DT770's sounding better (when properly amp'd) and being more comfortable (by a decent margin) however the M50X's are more comfortable out of the box than the older M50 (non X's) which I had to stretch the headband of to wear.. However the DT770's do not at all excel at being out and about headphones.. long fixed cord , don't fold at all you must have an amp (well u should have anyways) ... I have taken my DT770's out and about with me like 2x times ever and both times quickly decided it was a pain in the arse.. mostly I had just got them and wanted to take them but don't they suck for that.

The M50X's on the other hand are probably what you want.. they are pretty rugged fold up have removable cable and are you do not really need an amp for them. Comfort is decent sound is good (I think).. everyone here seems to hate the M50X's but whatever they are pretty nice for the money and won't break if you look at them funny.

so for out and about u want the M50X's but you'll wish you had your DT770's but you won't have them because you'll have left them home where they belong... =p

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi... I own both the DT770 Pro 80's and the M50X's and I like both (I also have DT880 Pro 250's.. and sony mdr-v6's ..and some other stuff)

at home I mostly use my DT770's as my wife gripes about being able to hear my DT880's =\ so I can only really use them when she is gone..at which point I just use my speakers =p .. oh well.. blah blah open headphones don't seem to work at my house is the point.

back to the M50's and DT770's ... it is basically like this (according to me) they both have a similar "fun" v-shaped sound but with the DT770's sounding better (when properly amp'd) and being more comfortable (by a decent margin) however the M50X's are more comfortable out of the box than the older M50 (non X's) which I had to stretch the headband of to wear.. However the DT770's do not at all excel at being out and about headphones.. long fixed cord , don't fold at all you must have an amp (well u should have anyways) ... I have taken my DT770's out and about with me like 2x times ever and both times quickly decided it was a pain in the arse.. mostly I had just got them and wanted to take them but don't they suck for that.

The M50X's on the other hand are probably what you want.. they are pretty rugged fold up have removable cable and are you do not really need an amp for them. Comfort is decent sound is good (I think).. everyone here seems to hate the M50X's but whatever they are pretty nice for the money and won't break if you look at them funny.

so for out and about u want the M50X's but you'll wish you had your DT770's but you won't have them because you'll have left them home where they belong... =p

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I need to get an amp. I just currently plug my Sennheisers directly into the computer as I have heard they sound fine either way. I am looking into getting a Scarlett interface so I can record my instruments on my computer. Would that also work as an amp?

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a Scarlett 2i2 (gen 1) .... it can drive my DT770 Pro 80's ok... if you got the 80ohms it would probably be fine.. the Scarlett is awful w/ my 250ohms DT880's ... so if you decided to get the 250's you'd want a stronger amp.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 10

Atarione, these are two pairs I'm considering at the moment... tested out the DT770s and thought the mids sounded almost non-existent. What are your thoughts on this? I enjoyed the M50x more when testing. Do you find them more balanced than the DT770s?

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 10
I own the Scarlett Solo 2 and I believe the amp sections are the same in their Scarlett line but the dac may change. The Solo amps my 598 decently but isn't meant to be used as a serious amp. Luckily for you, neither the 598 nor the M50x will require much more than the Scarlett interface in terms of amping. Long story short, the interface should be perfectly fine!

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 10
what was driving the DT770's when you tried them?? under powered the M50X's will walk all over the DT770's the DT770 need to be amp'd properly to sound decent.

If you liked the sound of the M50X's I say get them as for portable use they make muuuuch more sense.. I wanted the DT770's for more comfort at home and they are great for that but they stink as portables .. too inconvenient / hard to drive.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 10
oh also neither of them are balanced / neutral they are both v-shaped so mids will be a bit recessed..

if you want balanced sound probably need to look elsewhere honestly both are "fun" headphones and the DT770's are my preference at home w/ a decent amp over the M50's but the M50's are better out and about certainly.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 10
what was driving the DT770's when you tried them?? under powered the M50X's will walk all over the DT770's the DT770 need to be amp'd properly to sound decent.

If you liked the sound of the M50X's I say get them as for portable use they make muuuuch more sense.. I wanted the DT770's for more comfort at home and they are great for that but they stink as portables .. too inconvenient / hard to drive.

I was listening to the DT770s (250 ohm) through my Fiio Q1 MkII amp/dac with FLAC files of a well-recorded album. The treble was a little piercing but I'm unsure if that was due to my setup or the higher end of that V-shaped sound.

It's a hard choice when you keep reading and always find a negative, or different pieces of advice! I appreciate yours though so thanks :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back