Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay

Audio Technica ATH W1000x
Price $300 [Used Refurbished from a Head Fier]

Audio Set up

FooBar 2000 -> wasapai-> Odac ->Modded Millet Whiplash/Max Hybrid Tube ->w1000x

I review against my dt 880s out of the Same tube and ofc the same volume. 

Build Quality [4/5]
The Wood Housing is beautiful, and the head band is amazingly durable. The padding is lush, and beautiful adding a nice mid forward sound to the headphone. But why plastic  hinges I don't get, none they less they are very well constructed. In addition the inside of the headphone is equally as beautiful, A rubber seal helps with isolation as well.

Auditioning Songs 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655851/refrance-play-list

1) Sacrifice Part Three- Hiroki Kikuta

Video Game OST-Balanced Track Many elements combine for an overall balanced and enjoyable sound. Excessive color in a track like this is not always good. and the w1000x has slightly to much color for this track. 

Highs-  [3/5] recessed, good air and nice energy but they are not forward by any means. There is still a bright nature to the highs. And they are very enjoyable. Though in this high energy track I miss the snap of the highs

Mids [4/5] -very nice, the wood winds have nice body to them. Good lush sound.

Bass [3.5/5]-good weight and body, a sense of tight punch while still having some meat to it. Not as tight or SLAMMING as the dt 880

2) Uromau Dori- Toshio Masuda

Ambient OST- a very mid heavy track with a touch of sparkle and bass. The w1000x does a nice job with this one. The gorgeous delicate mids are maintained center stage. The bright sparkle of the highs falls right behind the mids, and the bass is present and adds the dark ambiance as it should 

Highs [4/5]- good air, nice sparkle. The dt 880 being a bright can adds a nice sense of air to the track and mysticism, the warmer more intimate w1000x  takes away some of that mystery and give the track an affectionate feel. 

Mids [5/5]- very warm and intimate, the mysticism of the highs is taken away and replaced with some loving mids. I see why people call this can a real romantic ;3, very affectionate. Good lush tone to the mids

Bass [5/5]- a little more body than the dt 880, again not as tight but still very balanced. The bass was a little much in track 1, here the extra weight really does the track justice

3) Yellow-Culprate 

EDM- a very playful song, the highs and the mids all come together to flesh this track out very nicely. The highs have a great energy to them. I was rather impressed to hear them as prominently as I did, still the bass has body which is again a nice touch, although I miss the tautness of the dt 880s. The song lack a little of the energy the 880s, a more laid back can for sure the w1000x is

Highs [3.5/5]-  still very sweet with good air, although the dt 880 was brighter and the highs had a lot more energy and still the same gentle sweet ness. The w1000x has the energy and the gentle nature, but it's really missing the extension of the dt 880,  Still smooth highs, good energy. 

Mids [4/5]- almost useless in this song, a nice touch to hear them though. As they are enjoyable, this song becomes a little more mystic with the more forward mids, as there is very charming playful mid presence, 

Bass [3.5/5]- again there is body but it lacks the tautness of the dt 880, a more laid back bass which takes away from the high energy and fun of this tune 

[size=small]4) Lisa Ekdahl- Of My Conceit [/size]

Vocal Jazz- This genre is where the w1000x truly shines. While the Guitar in the background has a clearer sound on the Dt 880s, the main focus here is on Lisa's voice. The W1000x captures her voice masterfully,  capturing t the sweet innocent highs in her voice as well as the sexy and seductive mids. The guitars and flute in the background are a nice as well, a light back drop on Lisa's seductive voice in this track. The Dt 880 is more airy, yet it lacks the intimacy of the w1000x .

Highs [4.1/5]- Again the upper most highs in the guitar are not as airy as they could be, yet Lisa's voice it self has a perfect blend of treble air and smoothness. The cymbals and chimes in the background also have just enough sparkle to them!

Mids [5/5] Being a Mid center headphone, once again the mids shine. Lisa voice is perfect, the upper and lower mids are wonderfully captured by the w1000x. While the Dt 880's presentation is nice, it doesn't capture nearly as much emotion as the w1000x does. Lisa's voice has such a seductive quality in this track, and it feels and sounds as if she room with you while listening on the w1000x. Lush and detailed, every breathe she takes is captured as well, adding further to the intimacy of vocals on this headphone! 

Bass [3.9/5] The lower notes of the guitar lack the subtle tight impact of the Dt 880. The w1000x does a good job at retaining the details as the artist shifts from deeper notes to higher ones. Yet the bass line is a little recessed against Lisa's voice. Although for the genre, the extra warmth of the bass is preferred over the tactility that the Dt 880 brings.  

Sound [4.3/5] 

Mids [4.8/5]- Thick and lush, very beautiful. Good detail very rich without a dark tone, the wood adds a nice feel. A heavy and strong vocal track will have a nice punch to it in the vocals. 

Highs [4/5]- airy good energy, detail and sound stage maintain the highs nicely, still a mid focused can. 

Bass [3.9/5]- there is some serious BODY to the bass, not boom but not entirely tight! Again the bass really reveals the closed nature of the can, there is nice body but it lacks the tightness of an open can. 

My w1000x is outfitted with L3000 pads, these increase the comfort as well as the beauty of the headphone. The L3000 pads are from an older series in the ATH Wooden line, and are made from leather, as opposed to the Pleather that is used for the stock w1000x Pads.

The L3000 pads tighten the sound signature  better extending the highs and adding a little more punch to the bass and mids.

Next my w1000x has  had  Purrin Mod performed on it, this entails adding about four 1cm squares of Dynamat inside the wooden house casing. This additional dampening increases the  detail and further tightens the the sound as well as adding a little more sound stage and instrument separation!

Modded Sound Review

Sound [4.7/5] 

Mids [5/5]- Thick and lush, very beautiful. Good detail very rich without a dark tone, the wood adds a nice feel. A heavy and strong vocal track will have a nice punch to it in the vocals. The modification further tightens the sound, adding incredible detail to the mids as well as a little more push to them. They remain lush yet very tactile as well! 

Highs [4.5/5]- airy good energy, detail and the sound stage maintain the highs nicely. The modification brightens the sound a little while increasing the sound stage as well. Giving the highs a little more room to breathe.

Bass [4.4/5]- The L3000 Pads and the mod tighten the bass incredibly well, almost matching the tightness of the open dt 880. Yet being a closed can, the bass remains a good punch to it and exceptional detail. The mod allows the bass to be very flexible. Incredibly tight when needed, and a little looser when the mastering allows for it, and it even has a little of the Dt 880 sub bass slam!  

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 19
Where? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Best review ever. No silly prose. Just straight to the point.
22/10.

Yeaper, Enjoy

nah the review is in Progress I'm still technicaly writing it lol 

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

it's a work in progress atm lol 

The mini review is up. I'm going into the individual songs now, and again there is a list to them so bear with the crappy youtube quality, as I play flacs ofc

Half the songs reviewd. I'll do the other half later 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
One to avoid then. I already have cans that fulfill the W1000X's role. 

yea ofc if u have a can that you like for thick mid heavy sound then they are great. As even with my Lean Tube they are magical! The issues I had with treble and bass solved by the use of my thinner clear top tube... which brings me back to the idea of using a Solid State with these, as the mids are already magical!  The Dt 880 doesn't quite have the touch and feel in voice that these do, and that using the 880 with mah thick tube 

Yea I do like these much better with my Clear Tube, and best of all the L3000 pads are apprently able to add more mids cleaner bright highs and tighter bass. All things I'd love out of this can as  it is pretty much exactly what I wanted. A closed dt 880 with a touch more mids 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Vintage receiver, J-money pads and the W1000x is an excellent combo! Also look up purrin's mods, well worth the time.

Going with the L3000 pads which are also Leather so it should be a nice combo as well. What does the vintage reciever add to it? I'm using a Lean Hybrid tube it it sounds amazing. These are TOTALLY my new Post Rock cans... as I LOVE instrumental Post rock and even teh dt 880s can't do those perfectly! [these ofc r doing it wonderful]

As far as the mod goes, I don't think I'd really want do to that... can has a nice sound sig that I like. I see no reason to change that. Although who knows. If I ever hear it I will surely go through with it. But again the clear Top Tube has added a lot of what Purrins mod was spoused to already [tighter bass, smoother better extended highs, less decay in the mids] so I think the Pads will b sufficent <3 What we need is a freaking head band mod. I still hate the head band, although I figured it out thankfully 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Now sell them to me. You know you want to, :wink:

Psh go die in a hole these sound heavenly. I just rediscovered my love for post rock... I should thank the Asian Music thread, they posted a Video for

"As I Look at Her" or "A Picture of Her" some Japanese post rock band, well it was sexy and awesome so I went and found all the bands I used to LOVE [with my xb 700s at that e.e] in addition to some new ones and here I am <3 thank you w1000x [let's hope those L3000 pads tighen up bass, extend sound stage, increase mids and give some extension and air to the treble. As that's all I really have to complain about, and it's really a 9/10 for me, the dt 880 is ofc a 10/10 because it's great with everything. The w1000x is a little choosey but it's a close second and it's better with a good number of other genres [like OMG JAZZ] And ofc OST sound great on them as well, which  is ironic because I got the 880s for OST, although the 880s n the w1000x r a tie on ost. It really depends on the Game or Show, some like BALANCE and others lean to one sound sig or another

still NONE FOR U xD Some one else will have them.

But go scream at inner feidelty. I hated these cans teh first time I put them on as teh seal was ALL wrong... he suggested we warp the crap out of our head bands [literally] to get them to properly seal on our heads. Well one warped head band later and OMG perfecto! 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
These are TOTALLY my new Post Rock cans... as I LOVE instrumental Post rock and even teh dt 880s can't do those perfectly! [these ofc r doing it wonderful]

Now I can't remember if it's the W1000X or the W3000X that I tried, because those were pretty bad for...most genres, especially post-rock. Such badness across the board is difficult to do, but AT can pull it off with sexy woody grace.

Psh go die in a hole these sound heavenly. I just rediscovered my love for post rock... I should thank the Asian Music thread, they posted a Video for

"As I Look at Her" or "A Picture of Her" some Japanese post rock band, well it was sexy and awesome 

That was me, guilty as granted. :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Now I can't remember if it's the W1000X or the W3000X that I tried, because those were pretty bad for...most genres, especially post-rock. Such badness across the board is difficult to do, but AT can pull it off with sexy woody grace.

it might have been either one of them. If you don't "personalize" the seal they sound like pure crap. and by personalize I mean warp the LIVING hell out of the head band to fit YOUR head... took me 45mins of FIGHTING to get the dmn thing right [and I'm a beefy dude so I was afraid to BREAK them]

non the less they sound nice. My solid state will b here soon, those might further tighten the bass and extend the highs without sacrificing the mids to much. Still we shall see, the L3000 pads are also on the way so this review will b getting an update soon! 

That an Monster Hunter is coming out TOMMOROW... and these cans really sound awesome with that ENTIRE OST so hell I might not even get to the review with the EAR GASIM of Monster Hunter OST IN GAME lol 

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Going with the L3000 pads which are also Leather so it should be a nice combo as well. What does the vintage reciever add to it? I'm using a Lean Hybrid tube it it sounds amazing. These are TOTALLY my new Post Rock cans... as I LOVE instrumental Post rock and even teh dt 880s can't do those perfectly! [these ofc r doing it wonderful]

As far as the mod goes, I don't think I'd really want do to that... can has a nice sound sig that I like. I see no reason to change that. Although who knows. If I ever hear it I will surely go through with it. But again the clear Top Tube has added a lot of what Purrins mod was spoused to already [tighter bass, smoother better extended highs, less decay in the mids] so I think the Pads will b sufficent <3 What we need is a freaking head band mod. I still hate the head band, although I figured it out thankfully 

I am a tube guy, love my Lyr and my DV337SE (along with some others I own), but I find a warm SS amp is better synergy with the W1000x.

For a better seal an easy fix is one rubber band from wing to wing it seals them to your ears and the clamping force is determined by the rubber bands length. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
it's a work in progress atm lol 

The mini review is up. I'm going into the individual songs now, and again there is a list to them so bear with the crappy youtube quality, as I play flacs ofc

Half the songs reviewd. I'll do the other half later 

Oh woody cups. drool.....
they are perfect for classical, maybe the songs you used are not making justice with the headphones? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back