Atrio M5 or Triple Fi 10? How should I spend $200
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having a really tough time with this one.  The Atrio M5 seems like a great headphone, but right now it can be had for the same price as the UE Triple Fi 10 ($190)  I really want to upgrade my portable setup, so here is what I am looking for:
-Isolation
-Soundstage
-Clarity (must be at least as "clear'" and precise as Klipsch S4, clarity along this lines of the Monster Turbines is unacceptable.)

I listen to mostly electronic music (dubstep, trance, house. . . ).  I would prefer to have a dynamic driver, but the triple fi 10 is notorious, and I wonder if I am missing out on  a great opportunity at audiophile-sound.  Plus they look cool, and have removable cables.

Any comments on either phone are appreciated.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 24
I went through a thread here by ClieOS
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison
This thread could give you a better idea.
As far as I can understand, the TF10s are balanced while the Atrio M5 is more bassy.

On a side note, where do you find the TF10s for 190?

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
I went through a thread here by ClieOS
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison
This thread could give you a better idea.
As far as I can understand, the TF10s are balanced while the Atrio M5 is more bassy.

ClieOS's thread (and joker's review as well, if you search his large review thread for that) is based on an old version of the Atrio, which has recently been upgraded with a new, improved driver, the MG7. Now the Atrios is more balanced with better treble and punchier bass, plus even better build quality. It's quite good and well worth considering.

Also, Future Sonics customer service is excellent.
There are two threads on the front page of this forum right now on how Ultimate Ears/Logitech has terrible customer service.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 24
the TF 10 has been at <$190 on Amazon for about 3 months.  I am leaning toward the Atrio.  I just love the impact of a dynamic driver.  And I have heard that the TF10s have no mids.  Mids are pretty important to me (though not as important as bass, or treble).

But I am worried that these large dynamic drivers share a quality of being very warm, but not very clear or precise, sort of fuzzy.  That is what I got from the Monster Turbine, and I couldn't stand it.  So is the Atrio M5 clear?  I am sure that the TF10 is

EDIT: not sure if this helps, but my portable headphone ideal would be an in-ear with great isolation, and the exact same sound signature of my Denon ahd 2000s. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
the TF 10 has been at <$190 on Amazon for about 3 months.  I am leaning toward the Atrio.  I just love the impact of a dynamic driver.  And I have heard that the TF10s have no mids.  Mids are pretty important to me (though not as important as bass, or treble).

But I am worried that these large dynamic drivers share a quality of being very warm, but not very clear or precise, sort of fuzzy.  That is what I got from the Monster Turbine, and I couldn't stand it.  So is the Atrio M5 clear?  I am sure that the TF10 is

EDIT: not sure if this helps, but my portable headphone ideal would be an in-ear with great isolation, and the exact same sound signature of my Denon ahd 2000s. 

If the S4 is your standard for clarity, then there should be no problem. Keep in mind with dynamics, you want the diaphragm to break in a bit rather like a pair of shoes or jeans needs to. Play a varied playlist at reasonably loud volume for 100 hours before evaluating the sound.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 24
I have the TF10's and highly recommend them. I don't listen to trance but they are great with rock, hard rock and metal. The bass is very fast and punchy and the treble, to me, is excellent. I only found the mids to be just slightly recessed. It presents the music as if you are maybe 15 rows back from the stage.

As to the M5 with the new MG7 driver; I will be able to compare soon, since I have a pair on the way. Looking forward to hearing this new driver! Supposedly the M5 can offer really good dynamics at lower volume. That's what I'm looking forward to evaluating.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 24
The turbines were well burned in, they are just muddy earphones.  I won't be able to take advantage of that deal (payday's not until monday) but I'm not opposed to them at their current price.   I guess the TF 10s arent seem as a phenomenal deal, even at their current low street price? 

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 24
I think the TF10's at under $200 are a good deal.  They are excellent IEMs.  eCost currently has the new M5's at $108 but I read on another thread that they don't have a warranty if bought at that reduced price but they are the real product.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
I think the TF10's at under $200 are a good deal.  They are excellent IEMs.  eCost currently has the new M5's at $108 but I read on another thread that they don't have a warranty if bought at that reduced price but they are the real product.

I think I'll have to go with Amazon on this one.   Another important issue I forgot about is amping.  I own a Fiio E7, which I find to be a great DAC/amp, but I would rather not strap it to my ipod touch.  That portable set up sort of reminds me of a homemade bomb.  Do either of these phones need to be amped?   Or, would they sound  at least 5% better with an amp? 

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 24
I know this is old but I'm currently debating the same thing and also looking for the same thing as the OP. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 24
I know this is old but I'm currently debating the same thing and also looking for the same thing as the OP. 

Atrio.me has a 50% off code CostProg50% that may still work, if that makes a difference to you...
To me, Atrio with Shure olive is much more comfortable and than TF10 too.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I'm having a really tough time with this one.  The Atrio M5 seems like a great headphone, but right now it can be had for the same price as the UE Triple Fi 10 ($190)  I really want to upgrade my portable setup, so here is what I am looking for:
-Isolation
-Soundstage
-Clarity (must be at least as "clear'" and precise as Klipsch S4, clarity along this lines of the Monster Turbines is unacceptable.)

I listen to mostly electronic music (dubstep, trance, house. . . ).  I would prefer to have a dynamic driver, but the triple fi 10 is notorious, and I wonder if I am missing out on  a great opportunity at audiophile-sound.  Plus they look cool, and have removable cables.

Any comments on either phone are appreciated.

If you want isolation, soundstage and clarity, TF10 wins.  If you want musicality, bass and a natural sound, Atrio wins.

I own both and am struggling to choose which I like better.  On a flight I took recently, the TF10 soundly defeated my Atrios with all the background noise.  For me, the TF10 requires Sony hybrid tips.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:

All I can say is that six months down the line I couldn't be happier with my choice of the Atrio M5s.  I do not know what the TF10s sound like, but I do not really think about it much.  I have no desire to upgrade or sidegrade.  I have come to really respect the sound signature of the M5s.  It is a benchmark that I will use against all IEMs in the future. 

EDIT: I looked at the thread dates and damn, it's been a year.  These things are holding up pretty well they look brand new.

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 24
I was able to AB my Atrios w/ the Denon 5000 cans. Difference was very minute as far as clarity, bass impact, warmth, etc. The Atrios are not bass heavy, just able to reproduce deep bass when called for. They are not fuzzy- very detailed sound. Great micro dynamics. In case you can't tell, I love them. I'm especially happy cause I got them when they were on sale for $110. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back