ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,501 of 9,748
I understand where you're coming from and the two amps you mentioned are both well regarded....

But one good amp is better than two lesser amps imho. I have plenty of mid-fi amps, and when I listen to my TOTLs the gap is really not small. They tend to come in the form of soundstage and detail retrieval particularly.

Just my 0.02!

I concur. I've owned up to 8 amps at a given time, and one good amp will beat that any day.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #1,502 of 9,748
So many TOTL amps and I can't hear any of them to make a decision now. Same goes for DACs. Of course I don't have my Atticus and Eikon yet either. The QP1R is great, but I know a good desktop system will make the ZMF headphones scale very well. I prefer solid state at this time. That much I know. A few of the solid state and tube amps (inputs must be on back) in my price range are as follows:

Phonitor E
Taurus MKII (on sale)
MicroZOTL 2 (not sure where to buy)
Mjolnir 2

I am sure there are more, LOL. Everyone will swear one is the best, but it will be a different one from different people. The true definition of different preferences.

My preference is transparent to just slightly warm.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,503 of 9,748
So many TOTL amps and I can't hear any of them to make a decision now. Same goes for DACs. Of course I don't have my Atticus and Eikon yet either. The QP1R is great, but I know a good desktop system will make the ZMF headphones scale very well. I prefer solid state at this time. That much I know. A few of the solid state and tube amps (inputs must be on back) in my price range are as follows:

Phonitor E

Taurus MKII (on sale)

Mjolnir 2

I am sure there are more, LOL. Everyone will swear one is the best, but it will be a different one from different people. The true definition of different preferences.

In general, most 300 ohm headphone sound best with output impedance of at 30 ohm

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,504 of 9,748
Here's the website for the MicroZOTL2  

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/microzotl/

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,506 of 9,748

LOL

I'm trying to feel for you, I really am.   But you had review pairs.  I have only fond memories of short demo listens at RMAF.  *cry*   
tongue.gif

I'm still lucky for having heard them at all though.

Waiting sucks.

Yep.  Derp.

*sigh*

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,507 of 9,748
I have a paduak Atticus, cherry Eikon, and Eddie Current ZDS arriving in the next couple months hopefully. I had originally ordered ZDS for use with HD650/580, but I have a feeling it will also do well with the ZMFs, since they are 300 ohm as well. Fun times ahead!

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,508 of 9,748

Phonitor E
Taurus MKII (on sale)
Mjolnir 2

Go for the Phonitor E. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,509 of 9,748
I still can't make up my mind about the Eikon vs the Atticus. I have three mid fi headphones currently but I would like to reduce the collection down to one higher end headphone that can handle all genres. I figure if I bought a really nice headphone, the other three lower end cans wouldn't get nearly the same head time, making them a little redundant.  

I mostly listen to classic rock, electronic and jazz ... about 30% for each in terms of playtime. I wouldn't describe myself as a bashed but I do find all of my headphones to be slightly lacking in the bass department. 

They way I understand it, Atticus is punchy, more bass, wider soundstage, a "fun tuning". The Eikon is neutral, smoother, more detailed. Given the genres I have listed, do you think I would be better off with one over the other?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,510 of 9,748
  I still can't make up my mind about the Eikon vs the Atticus. I have three mid fi headphones currently but I would like to reduce the collection down to one higher end headphone that can handle all genres. I figure if I bought a really nice headphone, the other three lower end cans wouldn't get nearly the same head time, making them a little redundant.  

I mostly listen to classic rock, electronic and jazz ... about 30% for each in terms of playtime. I wouldn't describe myself as a bashed but I do find all of my headphones to be slightly lacking in the bass department. 

They way I understand it, Atticus is punchy, more bass, wider soundstage, a "fun tuning". The Eikon is neutral, smoother, more detailed. Given the genres I have listed, do you think I would be better off with one over the other?

I listen to much the same, and I'd probably say Atticus.  I'm pretty sure I heard the pre-production tuning, so take that with a grain of salt.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #1,512 of 9,748
So did anyone other than me sign up for the ampsandsound loaner program?

I've heard them many times at events in LA.  They're great little amps and should pair well with the ZMF's.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,513 of 9,748
I don't have a desktop system yet meaning no DAC to use with the loaner amps. I guess I could use my QP1R as the DAC.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,514 of 9,748
I don't have a desktop system yet meaning no DAC to use with the loaner amps. I guess I could use my QP1R as the DAC.

The QP1R does quite well as a DAC. I'm definitely a fan of Questyle's clean and neutral approach to tuning. They do a far, far better job than many who claim to have the same approach.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,515 of 9,748
The QP1R does quite well as a DAC. I'm definitely a fan of Questyle's clean and neutral approach to tuning. They do a far, far better job than many who claim to have the same approach.

Funny, I was going to say that I think the DAC in the QP1R lets down the amp.  It's clean, but very D-S sounding to me... artificially detailed.  I love the CAS192 DAC and the CMA600i is totally useable as a DAC, but the QP1R doesn't do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back