ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 21, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,266 of 9,741
We engineers call it working regime: you tend to it over time, just as humans do over their life time, they gravitate around a certain personality
biggrin.gif

Btw Zach, the internal wiring is the same as the Ori no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah - we're using DHC OCC wire inside all our headphones these days.

And haha, yes agreed. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 21, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #2,267 of 9,741
Interesting, felix3650, because I was wondering as a fellow engineer if the headphone internal temps might change significantly (enough) while playing, which would line up / support Zach's mechanical change theory. As the temps come up we might see a different sound signature, and as further mechanical "relaxation" occurs (aka burn in) we could potentially see yet another shift in signature. As I'm thinking through this, a slightly warmer temperature could have the effect of loosening (or tightening, depending on materials, tolerances, etc.) up the structure, which would also be seen over a longer period of time with cycles per a burn in period.

Or I might not have any idea what I'm talking about, but it's fun thinking about it. :nerd:

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,268 of 9,741
Well, I know as DAC's and tubes warm up they sound better so why not transducers?  Makes sense to me.

And wow, those pictures are beautiful.  I will be staying with the varnish, I really love that look.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,269 of 9,741
  Well, I know as DAC's and tubes warm up they sound better so why not transducers?  Makes sense to me.

I'm not so sure about that, I hope once burned in, I don't have to worry about "warming up" my headphones before listening.. seems a bit silly.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,270 of 9,741
I'm not so sure about that, I hope once burned in, I don't have to worry about "warming up" my headphones before listening.. seems a bit silly.

That's fair, although I'd still imagine (regardless of headphone used) that you could get somewhat different performance at different temperatures. It could also make sense that as burn in occurs, and things see some physical change, that the amount of physical difference between "cold" and "warmed up" diminishes.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #2,271 of 9,741

Like Zach said, it's more about mechanical components. I would expect that burn in issues would disappear after some amount of time, depending on how stiff/flexible/compliant the surround material is. Once the surround is fully broken in you shouldn't have that issue ever again.

People kind of treat burn-in as a black box. It's a lot of different issues that can cause the need for components to be burned in. Mechanically, the surround is the biggest factor. Now, electrically, I really highly doubt there is any such burn-in beyond what is done after the unit is built by the manufacturer. What most people call "burn-in" or "warming up" with electronics actually refers to thermal equilibrium, and that only really applies to certain specific components, one of them being multibit DACs.

Anyway, super controversial subject, but those are my thoughts. I like that people are seeing so much "burn-in" phenomena on a headphone, because to me it means that the surround and driver are extremely resilient and require a lot of force to change outside of their designed parameters.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,272 of 9,741
Sorry for the wait on this - these pics should clear some confusion up.  FWIW, I decided to go with the Varnish finish because although it takes longer to apply, and is hand wiped for a more "hand-made" feel, it retains the color of the wood and helps it darken in a warmer fashion than Lacquer. I like this.  For lacquer we use a water based pre-catalyzed lacquer, not nitrocellulose, which will not darken as much over time.  They both are excellent finishes and are both equally environment resistant etc.

I do recommend that those who want a more "factory" feel get the Lacquer, as it is sprayed and will always feel a little smoother than the varnish.

Unfortunately 1-52 on the order sheets cups are already done and we cannot change from one finish to the other at this point without a significant delay, so if you are coming up soon and want to change to lacquer please keep that in mind.

Hey Zach -

Thanks for the pics!

It got me reading into lacquer vs varnish, the process of applying the two, and how some oily and tropical woods can be a pain in the butt to work with.

Speaking about being a pain in the butt... Mind if I toss out some Q's about woodworking?

From the perspective of a woodworker, what is your favorite wood to work with?
Favorite wood project you've ever completed?
Have you tried finishing any of your headphone cups with shellac? It seems like a unique finish, but I bet it is a PITA to use.
Is there a wood that you have tried for your headphones that is just a complete nightmare to work with?

The more I read into working with each wood, the more I see that offering 8+ different wood choices for headphones is actually pretty damned difficult! So... Thanks! =)

I'm sure I speak for all of your customers - we love your wood!

Thanks Amigo

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,274 of 9,741
Has anyone compared the Atticus and/or the Eikon to the HE-6 and the LCD-2?

I hear people say all the time that the Eikon feels like a natural progression/improvement to the LCD-2 sound, which is why I want one so badly, desperately seeking the same sort of sound but with more impact.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,275 of 9,741
  I hear people say all the time that the Eikon feels like a natural progression/improvement to the LCD-2 sound, which is why I want one so badly, desperately seeking the same sort of sound but with more impact.

Well I've heard some excitement in general but, to paraphrase mr. Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence...
Hmm, wish I could give the Eikon a go, especially facing the Z1R (LCD2? Nah..sorry... just don't think it will even be a 1:1 tier). But I haven't heard of any tour planned for Europe.

Regardless of how well it goes, I think ZMF was a bit unlucky with the timing of this release, right at the same time the Z1R hits the shore with an impeccable presentation+sound (after many years of Sony dullness)... been a few years of - let's face it - mostly boring closed cans.

But who knows, maybe it turns out to be a very strong alternative. The bar is high tho.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #2,276 of 9,741
Has anyone compared the Atticus and/or the Eikon to the HE-6 and the LCD-2?

Open vs. closed comparisons is always a weird thing for me, but I'll give a quick shot at Eikon vs. Modded HE-6 (bluetak, grill removal, Vegan pads)....

HE-6 has even lower extension, textured, and tighter bass, Eikon does these well but HE-6 is king here
Eikon is a bit warmer in the midbass through low mids, otherwise bass levels are close.

Both are pretty even throughout bulk of the midrange
HE-6 is more aggressive and sharper in upper midrange going into treble.  Eikon is just a bit relaxed here in comparison, before it has it's own emphasis in lower treble around 2.5khz

Eikon has far superior treble smoothness compared to HE-6, and is not too much more laid back.
HE-6 has wider and deeper soundstage, but it's an open.
I'd say they are equally resolving, but HE-6 is much crisper and faster where Eikon has a more lush, slower decay.

Both are heavy but Eikon is more comfortable
Eikon doesn't have the insane amping caveats

Considering open/closed, speed, treble presentation and amping requirements, I think it's really hard to declare one "better" and is all about what one wants.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,277 of 9,741
Well I've heard some excitement in general but, to paraphrase mr. Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence...
Hmm, wish I could give the Eikon a go, especially facing the Z1R (LCD2? Nah..sorry... just don't think it will even be a 1:1 tier). But I haven't heard of any tour planned for Europe.

Regardless of how well it goes, I think ZMF was a bit unlucky with the timing of this release, right at the same time the Z1R hits the shore with an impeccable presentation+sound (after many years of Sony dullness)... been a few years of - let's face it - mostly boring closed cans.

But who knows, maybe it turns out to be a very strong alternative. The bar is high tho.

Half the price of the Z1R and better sounding. I call that a win

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,278 of 9,741
Half the price of the Z1R and better sounding. I call that a win

The "half the price" part is a fact indeed, but continuing with the example, the "better sounding" is the subjective extraordinary claim needing extraordinary evidence.

So far, the only evidence I see is... well, Z1R hype. And from people who have heard a lot (regardless of what some frequency charts or whoa-too-bassy random comments state).

But I haven't heard the Eikon, so, won't bet a vital organ on it... yet.
Still, the burden of the proof on this one is now on the ZMF side, IMHO. Sony really pushed it to lead in the closed can offerings, but I'm just sharing an opinion - In a few years we'll know for sure who passed the test of time.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,279 of 9,741
The "half the price" part is a fact indeed, but continuing with the example, the "better sounding" is the subjective extraordinary claim needing extraordinary evidence.

So far, the only evidence I see is... well, Z1R hype. And from people who have heard a lot (regardless of what some frequency charts or whoa-too-bassy random comments state).

But I haven't heard the Eikon, so, won't bet a vital organ on it... yet.
Still, the burden of the proof on this one is now on the ZMF side, IMHO. Sony really pushed it to lead in the closed can offerings, but I'm just sharing an opinion - In a few years we'll know for sure who passed the test of time.
I will agree with you. The problem I had with the Z1R's at the meet as there was only their cable and amp and source so couldn't try them on the Kenzie Yggy combo as I did with the Eikons so a comparison could not be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back