ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 8, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,566 of 9,748
Im curious which headphone people are enjoying more for drum sounds. Any preferences? I imagine the Eikon would be better suited to cymbal work, but what about toms or bass drums? Is one headphone better at resonance while another is more suited to attack or stick definition?

Anyway, let me know. Im considering one of these headphones probably for the somewhat distant future.

The Eikon is probably the better headphone for drums. The quick transient edge helps them sound very crisp and defined. Decay is also just a little tighter, which helps during complex passages (even though the Atticus handles them pretty well too).

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #2,567 of 9,748
I am having ZMF withdrawals or maybe it is Milo withdrawals on this business trip.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,571 of 9,748

My ZDS has come in, looking forward to hearing the Atticus and Eikon on it!

That looks really good! I can't wait to hear impressions!

When are you sending it to me as the next person on the ZDS+Eikon tour?

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,572 of 9,748
Off topic, forgive me, but only those here might be able to even come close to answering this question factually.

What IEM comes closest to the Eikon sound? My Sony XBA-A3s have been found... Lacking.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,573 of 9,748
Off topic, forgive me, but only those here might be able to even come close to answering this question factually.

What IEM comes closest to the Eikon sound? My Sony XBA-A3s have been found... Lacking.

Noble K10/Encore maybe?

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,574 of 9,748

I'm not an IEM/CIEM guy, but a guy here on HF really digs his biocellulose IEM's.

So, maybe an idea is, if OK buying used, check into his favourite set - Sony e888 biocell IEM.

He told me that V-Sonic GR-07 iem also uses the Sony patented biocell driver too.

His hp reference sound is both Sennheiser HD800 and Sony CD3000 biocell hp's he owns.

Some really like these 2 iems & some find nothing extraordinary about them as he said.

But, the fellow says they have the biocell magic which he couldn't find from trying many other iem's, and some really great ones.

He said the bass & vocals were very natural & it had a wide soundstage. It does not isolate well.

I know hp's & iem's are much different, but just a guess, might want to check them out, based on the biocellulose involved.

As said, I dunno, it's not my thing, but maybe ( ? ) worth looking into it; and just some info.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #2,575 of 9,748
Forgot to mention Audio Torque iem also uses biocell drivers, as well as 2 other mfr's iem which names I forget, but those other 2 are from mfrs in Japan or somewhere in Asia.

There may be more iem's with biocell, and again I don't know how they sound; I'm just a biocell fan for very many years, loudspeakers & headband hp's only.

Maybe of some help though.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,577 of 9,748
This is my first real post on this forum, so please be gentle. (Sorry for the wall of text) 
redface.gif

I have been eyeing with those new ZMF flagships for some time now and I still can't decide which one to get in the (hopefully) near future. I listen to a lot of different genres of music and have always preferred the intimate soundscape of headphones. Some favorite artists that I would want to listen to at its fullest potential would be Radiohead, Swans, Kendrick Lamar, Talking Heads, CAN and Nicolas Jaar. I am also fairly intrigued by ambient music such as William Basinski, Stars of the Lid, or Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Up to this point I have personally owned merely two headphones: the Fidelio X2 (home use; mids a bit recessed, better base than the Meze but still muffled, great soundstage, great for gaming/movies, but for pure music listening sessions I would love to have something more defined) and the Meze 99 Classics (on the go; love the mids, especially male vocals on here. Good detail, no real soundstage but smooth and fine with all genres. A premium version of this would be great, I guess) however, I had the chance to listen to quite a variety of other headphones whenever I visited friends in Berlin (they have a sweet Hi-Fi store there). After listening to nearly everything there (from small upgrades such as the HE400i to the big flagships by Fostex, Audeze, Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser) I made the decision that my next purchase would be a high-end product and not just a small update to my recent set-up, for I know that I would merely want the next best thing soon after that. My only problem was that I was not entirely satisfied with any of the provided flagships. While I loved the bass and the fit on the TH-900s, The mids/vocals were a bit too recessed for my taste (although it wasn't as bad as on the TH-610s) and the peak at the highs could get too much for me as well. The Audezes were simply too uncomfortable and heavy to even enjoy and focus on the music and the Hifimans as well as the Sennheiser HD800s felt weird on my head (I did not have enought time to get used to it and listen to them properly).

Now I wonder, which one of those two headphones might be the best for me. Is there even a chance of knowing that without having tried them? The only option for me - here in Germany - would be to order them and have a go with them since there are no Head-Fi meets here as far as I know. Hence, I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some insights on what you think would suit me best, given my musical taste and minor headphone experience.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice. If you have more questions, I am ready to answer them (now that I am a member of the community 
smile_phones.gif
).

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,578 of 9,748
  This is my first real post on this forum, so please be gentle. (Sorry for the wall of text) 
redface.gif

I have been eyeing with those new ZMF flagships for some time now and I still can't decide which one to get in the (hopefully) near future. I listen to a lot of different genres of music and have always preferred the intimate soundscape of headphones. Some favorite artists that I would want to listen to at its fullest potential would be Radiohead, Swans, Kendrick Lamar, Talking Heads, CAN and Nicolas Jaar. I am also fairly intrigued by ambient music such as William Basinski, Stars of the Lid, or Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Up to this point I have personally owned merely two headphones: the Fidelio X2 (home use; mids a bit recessed, better base than the Meze but still muffled, great soundstage, great for gaming/movies, but for pure music listening sessions I would love to have something more defined) and the Meze 99 Classics (on the go; love the mids, especially male vocals on here. Good detail, no real soundstage but smooth and fine with all genres. A premium version of this would be great, I guess) however, I had the chance to listen to quite a variety of other headphones whenever I visited friends in Berlin (they have a sweet Hi-Fi store there). After listening to nearly everything there (from small upgrades such as the HE400i to the big flagships by Fostex, Audeze, Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser) I made the decision that my next purchase would be a high-end product and not just a small update to my recent set-up, for I know that I would merely want the next best thing soon after that. My only problem was that I was not entirely satisfied with any of the provided flagships. While I loved the bass and the fit on the TH-900s, The mids/vocals were a bit too recessed for my taste (although it wasn't as bad as on the TH-610s) and the peak at the highs could get too much for me as well. The Audezes were simply too uncomfortable and heavy to even enjoy and focus on the music and the Hifimans as well as the Sennheiser HD800s felt weird on my head (I did not have enought time to get used to it and listen to them properly).

Now I wonder, which one of those two headphones might be the best for me. Is there even a chance of knowing that without having tried them? The only option for me - here in Germany - would be to order them and have a go with them since there are no Head-Fi meets here as far as I know. Hence, I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some insights on what you think would suit me best, given my musical taste and minor headphone experience.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice. If you have more questions, I am ready to answer them (now that I am a member of the community 
smile_phones.gif
).

Welcome to Head-fi; sorry about your wallet!  

Based on your post, I'd recommend the Atticus.  It's a little warmer than the Eikon and it is great with bassy chill music, like you seem to prefer.  I also thought the Eikon (based on a non-burned-in unit and like 5 minutes of impressions) had a hint of sharpness in the upper mids/lower highs that might not sit well with people who are sensitive in that range.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,579 of 9,748
 Welcome to Head-fi; sorry about your wallet! 

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
 and yes, my wallet will have to go through a lot of losses in order to make me happy.
gs1000.gif

Based on your post, I'd recommend the Atticus.  It's a little warmer than the Eikon and it is great with bassy chill music, like you seem to prefer.  I also thought the Eikon (based on a non-burned-in unit and like 5 minutes of impressions) had a hint of sharpness in the upper mids/lower highs that might not sit well with people who are sensitive in that range.

Thanks for the fast reply and I agree that the Atticus (from all I have heard) would probably be the safer bet. In how far would the Padauk wood change the sound of the Atticus? I believe that, apart from making the Headphone a bit heavier and look like a tasty strawberry of sexyness, it also leans (only slightly) more into the sound of the Eikon, if I am not mistaken (same goes for the Eikon Cherry the other way around). Is that really noticeable and worth the 100$ extra?

And while we are at it, I have read some reviews stating that the Atticus (as well as the Eikon) are a bit picky when it comes to amps. I was going for an Audio GD-11 for now, hoping that it would be good enough. Any thoughts on that?

I appreciate the help.
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,580 of 9,748
Thank you :)  and yes, my wallet will have to go through a lot of losses in order to make me happy.:gs1000smile:

Thanks for the fast reply and I agree that the Atticus (from all I have heard) would probably be the safer bet. In how far would the Padauk wood change the sound of the Atticus? I believe that, apart from making the Headphone a bit heavier and look like a tasty strawberry of sexyness, it also leans (only slightly) more into the sound of the Eikon, if I am not mistaken (same goes for the Eikon Cherry the other way around). Is that really noticeable and worth the 100$ extra?

And while we are at it, I have read some reviews stating that the Atticus (as well as the Eikon) are a bit picky when it comes to amps. I was going for an Audio GD-11 for now, hoping that it would be good enough. Any thoughts on that?

I appreciate the help.:beerchug:  

Atticus is better to be paired with OTL Tube Amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back