ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #4,111 of 9,748
I just received the Atticus from a fellow head-fier. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realise that I needed a 4 pin xlr to 1/4 adapter, though.

I'm having the toughest time finding one.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these online in the UK or Europe?

This one is from the US based Amazon, might work if you can't find anything local:
ZY HIFI Cable PAILICCS CABLE Balance headphone adapter cable (4-pin XLR feMale to 6.35 Male) ZY-006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJOJA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_RlWKzb6TQKB8Q

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,112 of 9,748
Looking at the spreadsheet, my Cherry Eikon is 'Sanding and finishing'. :)

Excitement abounds. I have just bought a new Audeze LCD-2f, the tone of which I like a lot. Looking forward to how Eikon compares.

Sheesh...i didnt get a spreadsheet sent to me,a link or otherwise :frowning2:
I guess this is Zach's way of paying me back for asking him to sell me a pair of Beats!:ksc75smile:

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4,113 of 9,748
This one is from the US based Amazon, might work if you can't find anything local:
ZY HIFI Cable PAILICCS CABLE Balance headphone adapter cable (4-pin XLR feMale to 6.35 Male) ZY-006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJOJA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_RlWKzb6TQKB8Q

Options are quite limited but there's a couple in Europe, like this one: http://highertasteproject.com/shop/...&controller=product#/colour-06_blue/length-2m

Been using the cable from my LCD-3 for the past couple of hours, but I need to ship them off within the next couple of days.

I'm very much liking what I hear so far. The Atticus comes closer to the sound that I've been searching for all these years: impactful, punchy bass that doesn't overwhelm, full-bodied rich mids, and smooth natural treble without a hint of harshness for my overly sensitive ears. Very musical and non-fatiguing.

If anyone's coming from the HD-650 or LCD-2 PF, I can see you loving the Atticus. At last - a warm high-end headphone!

As expected, I got hit with a close to £200 customs fee for these, meaning that I had to pay a premium compared to Americans. Worth every penny, though! I hate to think that so many outside North America won't hear these.

Makes it all the more annoying that I'll be forced to stop listening for a couple of weeks.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #4,114 of 9,748
Has anyone had a chance to do an A/B comparison between the Pre-fazor LCD-2 and the Atticus?

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4,115 of 9,748
Has anyone had a chance to do an A/B comparison between the Pre-fazor LCD-2 and the Atticus?

Thanks!

Until someone else can properly answer your question I can say that the simple answer is the LCD-2 goes down deeper in the rumble area,but loses in impact(by a fairly wide margin)
The place where the Atticus kicks the Audeze in the rear is in the mids...The Atticus mids are really lovely,whereas the LCD-2 mids I felt were kinda one dimensional and boxed in...for a lack of a better term.

this going by memory and its been a few months,so YMMV...i think they have a similar overall tone though.

I sold my pre-fazor LCD-2 to fund my Atticus purchase FWIW.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #4,116 of 9,748
The Eikon more resembles the HD650 while the Atticus sounds more like a good LCD-2/HD650 hybrid.

Atticus has elements of planar smoothness while the Eikon shares more of a grainy character but it also doesn't have that lush, smooth coloration like the Atticus and LCD-2 pre fazor(current models are more grainy and lean and not particularly warm)

The Atticus has more present mids than the LCD-2 and better bass impact, more lively and has a sense of power compared to the laid back LCD-2 PF.

The LCD-2 PF sounds more muted, less dynamic and less involving.

Both Atticus and Eikpn ate more resolving than the LCD-2 and on par or slightly better than a well driven HD650.

Atticus sounds like it extracts micro details better than Eikon but Eikon has a more straight FR.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #4,119 of 9,748
The Eikon more resembles the HD650 while the Atticus sounds more like a good LCD-2/HD650 hybrid.

Atticus has elements of planar smoothness while the Eikon shares more of a grainy character but it also doesn't have that lush, smooth coloration like the Atticus and LCD-2 pre fazor(current models are more grainy and lean and not particularly warm)

The Atticus has more present mids than the LCD-2 and better bass impact, more lively and has a sense of power compared to the laid back LCD-2 PF.

The LCD-2 PF sounds more muted, less dynamic and less involving.

Both Atticus and Eikpn ate more resolving than the LCD-2 and on par or slightly better than a well driven HD650.

Atticus sounds like it extracts micro details better than Eikon but Eikon has a more straight FR.

The laid back presentation of the Pre-fazor is one of the reasons I like the sound signature. Although from memory it seems like the Atticus could be more engaging. I feel like the Atticus is a sour patch kid, while the LCD is a Swedish fish. :beerchug:

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #4,121 of 9,748
You did. It's on your order confirmation email. :)

Its all good. I had a few odd requests for Zach to get to...He told me approx two weeks from date of order,and that was twelve days ago,so I'm assuming he is making progress and will get them done as soon as he is able to.No rush.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,122 of 9,748
The Eikon is very responsive to cable upgrades. I like a warmer cable. The best for me is a Norne Draug, but try others too.

I think this is where I will be heading for my Eikon cable. love the fact that it will be interchangeable with the Ori!

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,123 of 9,748
ZMF cables are also interchangeable with any Audeze.
Again, the Norne Draug has a great synergy with the Eikon; the Draug is mellow in the upper mids/lower highs and really targets any shrill vocals or digital glare better than any cable I have found.

For the Atticus, the DH (Double Helix) is a great match to my ears (ZMF can supply this cable).
The DH cable sounds neutral to me and does a great job of making the bass and lower mids clear and solid while keeping the entire spectrum intact.

Both of these are nice upgrades to the stock cable, although the stock cable is very listenable.

The Norne cable may be a long wait. I had great luck with Toxic cables on my Senn 600/650 when I had those phones. Frank at Toxic is great to deal with. I have not heard Toxics with the ZMFs, but it's something I would certainly experiment with if I was looking for a new cable.
The Toxic transformed those Senn headphones' sound, improving texture and adding definition, like night and day. I really couldn't listen to them with the Senn stock cables.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,124 of 9,748
I hear a significant difference when I swapped the 1/4 plug stock cable on my LCD-2f to the Forza xlr balance cable - running on Ragnarok.

Now this could be attributed to 2 things. The fact that I've gone from SE to balance and swapping SE stock cable to balance Forza cable. I very much believe it's both. So I've no doubt that in the case of my upcoming Eikon, I'll have the same experience but time will tell.

I've never have a fetish for 3rd party cables but suddenly I feel the urge to try other cables besides Forza. These aftermarket cables are so stylish and well made. Sounds good to my ears no doubt. So I am looking at another cable - possibly a Norne or Zach's Double Helix. :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4,125 of 9,748
I hear a significant difference when I swapped the 1/4 plug stock cable on my LCD-2f to the Forza xlr balance cable - running on Ragnarok.

Now this could be attributed to 2 things. The fact that I've gone from SE to balance and swapping SE stock cable to balance Forza cable. I very much believe it's both. So I've no doubt that in the case of my upcoming Eikon, I'll have the same experience but time will tell.

I've never have a fetish for 3rd party cables but suddenly I feel the urge to try other cables besides Forza. These aftermarket cables are so stylish and well made. Sounds good to my ears no doubt. So I am looking at another cable - possibly a Norne or Zach's Double Helix. :)

How long did it take you to get your Forza cable once you ordered it? I've read a few posts that it can take a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back