Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #991 of 1,910
CRBN is the best I own, but there are a lot of contenders for best electrostatic headphone (let alone best headphone overall) and I think it boils down to personal taste when you get to the very top-level of ToTL headphones.
Chain synergy as well. Sometimes a great can just doesnt like your chain. For example the D8000 Pro is an astonishing headphone that I love but it absolutely sounds like ass on my forge (my main amp for basically everything else). Visa versa I thought the Soli P sounded garbage on my 13R but amazing enough on forge I could put them in my top 2 cans preference wise.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #992 of 1,910
Does anyone have a method tp determine AMP demand (relative power required) when using Electro's. For example, with dynamic and planar headphones I look at the Impedance. Not sure what to look at with Electrostatic Cans. Some manufacturers list Capacitance, but some don't? I was able to find Capacitance own the Crbn and the VOCE, but not on the Shangri-la Jr.'s. Does a higher Capacitance indicate the headphones will need more power?
On my BHSE the CRBN and jr seem to have the same power requirements. Actually the Vocé is very close as well. The 009s needs about 2 steps less on the volume control for equal level. But I have never seen actual measurements either.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #993 of 1,910
CRBN is the best I own, but there are a lot of contenders for best electrostatic headphone (let alone best headphone overall) and I think it boils down to personal taste when you get to the very top-level of ToTL headphones.
What EQ are you using. I've got Carbon, Susvara, LVD5 and some others and would love to do and A/B with and without EQ. Here are some on my non electrostatic. I keep them in a different location because of the cables.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #994 of 1,910
I'm sure when you EQ the LCD-5 with Resolves or Chronos EQ they are on par with CRBN. Yes LCD-5 tonality is in stock form not very good but with EQ damn good!

LCD-5 with EQ beats all headphones I know except of Susvara.
Seems CRBN can be the ultimate headphone! Hope I can hear it someday.

CRBN aside, the challenge for me when it comes to this, is literally any headphone can improve to a users listening after EQ. Once you EQ there just is no baseline. It can be as good as my imagination and personal ability to EQ is. I don't EQ any of my headphones for this reason, and I don't knock people that do, but I could never compare an EQ'd version of a headphone to anything else, just doesn't make sense to me.

Out of the box, the LCD-5 is just not as good as the other TOTL headphones out there. But I will agree that it's mainly based on it's uneven, darker tonality.. that and the condensed soundstage, which EQ can't fix. However, I do see that people do really enjoy it after EQ, so again no knock against that at all. I just don't think you can fairly compare headphones after you've done that.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #995 of 1,910
On my BHSE the CRBN and jr seem to have the same power requirements. Actually the Vocé is very close as well. The 009s needs about 2 steps less on the volume control for equal level. But I have never seen actual measurements either.
I reached out to Hifiman and Audeze and asked the same question. Maybe they will answer. I just got my Shangri-La Jr today. Waiting on the Stax 9000 - I don't have the 009's. Just got into electro last year - so waiting for the new Stax.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #996 of 1,910
CRBN aside, the challenge for me when it comes to this, is literally any headphone can improve to a users listening after EQ. Once you EQ there just is no baseline. It can be as good as my imagination and personal ability to EQ is. I don't EQ any of my headphones for this reason, and I don't knock people that do, but I could never compare an EQ'd version of a headphone to anything else, just doesn't make sense to me.

Out of the box, the LCD-5 is just not as good as the other TOTL headphones out there. But I will agree that it's mainly based on it's uneven, darker tonality. I do see that people do really enjoy it after EQ, so again no knock against that at all. I just don't think you can fairly compare headphones after you've done that.
What EQ are you using. I posted reply to wrong post?

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #997 of 1,910
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #998 of 1,910

Out of the box, the LCD-5 is just not as good as the other TOTL headphones out there. But I will agree that it's mainly based on it's uneven, darker tonality. I do see that people do really enjoy it after EQ, so again no knock against that at all. I just don't think you can fairly compare headphones after you've done that.
Fact is that some headphones tend to distort after EQ but because of the amazing technicalities that's not the case with the LCD-5.
My HD820 distort a bit after EQ to Harman Target.
What you cannot EQ is punchiness. Failed to EQ my SR009 even with +10dB low shelf it don't have more punch. LCD-5 has the punch in stock tonality. From the readings here CRBN has good punch for an e Stat but not like the LCD-5.
You're right that you cannot compare EQd headphone to not EQd. Sense makes only compare to the same target.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #999 of 1,910
difference being of course that one needs a new amp dedicated to the estat while can use the 5 with their prevailing amp
That of course depends entirely where one is coming from. Some people have a BHSE or KGSSHV-carbon level e-stats amp already, and (arguably) wouldn't need to also step up on the amp to fully appreciate the CRBN or X9000.

But for someone who has no amps in the upper tier, e-stats or normal, there's certain more good choices at lower price points for conventional headphone amps than you can find for top-notch e-stat-drivers. New or used.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,000 of 1,910
What EQ are you using. I've got Carbon, Susvara, LVD5 and some others and would love to do and A/B with and without EQ. Here are some on my non electrostatic. I keep them in a different location because of the cables.

I'm still getting to know my CRBN, so I've only added a bass shelf so far. I'm not sure they need too much more than that.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,001 of 1,910
I'm still getting to know my CRBN, so I've only added a bass shelf so far. I'm not sure they need too much more than that.
Comparing the CRBN to the VOCE or the Shangri-la Jr, I have found the CRBN suffer much more from STAX Distortion (Farts) when the headphone moves a bit on my head. I spoke with Audeze about this and they claim its a necessary evil to get more bottom end out of the headphones. has anyone else experienced this?

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #1,002 of 1,910
The Voce is also prone the driver sticking (farts). If I try to chew or drink something I get the zip sound on the Voce. The CRBN more so if I move them or reseat them on my head. The JR doesn't seem to do it much.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #1,003 of 1,910
The Voce is also prone the driver sticking (farts). If I try to chew or drink something I get the zip sound on the Voce. The CRBN more so if I move them or reseat them on my head. The JR doesn't seem to do it much.
Agree, just got my Jr's and I really can't get them to Fart...

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,004 of 1,910
I'm sure when you EQ the LCD-5 with Resolves or Chronos EQ they are on par with CRBN. Yes LCD-5 tonality is in stock form not very good but with EQ damn good!

If that is directed to me, then no. Although I did not use much EQ for my comparison, I normally use something close to Resolve's EQ with the LCD-5, so I'm very familiar with that sound. I like the LCD-5 better with EQ than without, but it does not put the LCD-5 on an even par with the CRBN. I don't think EQ would change the comparison I posted much, except in the treble (which I noted in the post). BTW, the CRBN also improves with EQ.

LCD-5 with EQ beats all headphones I know except of Susvara.
Seems CRBN can be the ultimate headphone! Hope I can hear it someday.

Interesting takes as I believe Resolve stated he didn't find anything the CRBN did better than LCD5 when EQ'd and prefers it over CRBN, but then again I don't think he tested with the same gear as everyone else here.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,005 of 1,910
Interesting takes as I believe Resolve stated he didn't find anything the CRBN did better than LCD5 when EQ'd and prefers it over CRBN, but then again I don't think he tested with the same gear as everyone else here.
I didn't realize resokve had reviewed crbn tbh. Any idea what he uses for an energizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back