Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #481 of 711

3 pairs huh?  That is concerning to me.  I am pretty ocd and if something does not work properly I am not happy with it.  I don't have the mind to allow a little problem not to frustrate me.  Just the way I'm wired.I also don't make much money so this would be a pretty gigantic purchase for me as I said before.

​Yes, but the two first ones were from the first generation (the one with black boxes). Those first units had all kind of problems, falling cups, cable issues, crinkling, etc etc. At some point in 2016 they started to ship in white boxes ,with also modified improved drivers for a better sound.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #482 of 711

​Yes, but the two first ones were from the first generation (the one with black boxes). Those first units had all kind of problems, falling cups, cable issues, crinkling, etc etc. At some point in 2016 they started to ship in white boxes ,with also modified improved drivers for a better sound.

Okay.  Good to know.  That is not a problem if it was limited to early batches.  Just as long as the newer batches are good I will be one happy camper.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #483 of 711

3 pairs huh?  That is concerning to me.  I am pretty ocd and if something does not work properly I am not happy with it.  I don't have the mind to allow a little problem not to frustrate me.  Just the way I'm wired.I also don't make much money so this would be a pretty gigantic purchase for me as I said before.

Then these might not be your cans. I am quite opposite to you. So, I don't might getting new pair if there is something wrong with the current one ( I have got the same issue with left ear cup and got a replacement. I can't complain since I originally bought them as refurbished and got a new set as a replacement).

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #484 of 711
  Then these might not be your cans. I am quite opposite to you. So, I don't might getting new pair if there is something wrong with the current one ( I have got the same issue with left ear cup and got a replacement. I can't complain since I originally bought them as refurbished and got a new set as a replacement).

I know Audeze has pretty good customer service and warranty support from what I have been hearing.  I do not mind sending something back once for warranty, but if it fails again then I get frustrated.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #485 of 711

​This is my 3rd pair of EL8-C titaniums, and while at the beginning I had the crinkling issue as well, after 3 months I must say it became very very subtle, to almost nothing. Is still very sensitive to the air pressures, for example if you move your head side to side fast you will notice sound unbalance, until pressure stabilize inside cupear and all normal again.

That is one reason I dont consider the EL8 mobile, but semi mobile :) Its confortable enough to transport, sit on your desk, pack, etc, but if you move around is too sensitive for movements. But hey, is one of the headphones with more head time since I got them, I really like how they sound, even for gaming.

OK, so what you are saying now is...that it actually MIGHT get better ? I've notified Audeze support about my experience with my headset, so now I will have to play the waiting game :) 

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #487 of 711
I tried out a couple of other headphone cases for the EL-8C but ended up sticking the the first party Audeze case. The headphones fit very snugly inside of the case and the outside of the case is made with a nice look protective material along with a nice little handle for transportation. The quality of the zipper is high and I have not experienced any issues with it yet.

(Picture of case with headphones inside.)

The issues I have with the case are on the inside. The Velcro used for the pocket on the top and the removable piece on the bottom are both flimsy and feel cheap. That being said they do they job and I am able to store the Cipher cable as well as the regular 3.5mm cable inside of the pocket with the headphones inside the case. The first time you use the case take the insert out, align them with your headphones and then place both in at the same time. After you have it in the first time you don't really need to take them out again. I wish they were permanently fixed in place.

(Without EL-8C)

(With EL-8C)

Pull the zipper outwards while closing the case and it will not make contact with the headphones.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide whether or not to shell out $40 for travel protection.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #488 of 711
I really like the Audeze case quality, but I dont feel comfortable using it on daily basis at all. The build quality is fairly rigid. I might work like a charm with the smaller Sines, but the EL-8 is too big for comfort in this case. Yes, it fits! But thats just barely.

Maybe the case too needs som break-in time :p

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #490 of 711
The overall consensus I've gathered from what I've read on head-fi is that it is not an overly liked headphone. It seems like the 2015 version was not well received and some people have had reliability issues. (Keep in mind this is what I've read. I don't want to speak for other people.) That being said, I own one of the 2016 Ti models and like it. It's a bit heavy comfort wise but the build quality is top notch and the sound is detailed and engaging.

Edit: Also, if you happen to have an iPhone 7 the Cipher cable offers a good sounding and extremely convenient solution to the "no headphone jack" problem. Even if you have a previous generation iPhone, I think the Cipher cable sounds better than plugging straight into the 3.5mm jack. It's not quite as good as a dedicated portable DAC/Amp though.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #491 of 711
  The overall consensus I've gathered from what I've read on head-fi is that it is not an overly liked headphone. It seems like the 2015 version was not well received and some people have had reliability issues. (Keep in mind this is what I've read. I don't want to speak for other people.) That being said, I own one of the 2016 Ti models and like it. It's a bit heavy comfort wise but the build quality is top notch and the sound is detailed and engaging.

Edit: Also, if you happen to have an iPhone 7 the Cipher cable offers a good sounding and extremely convenient solution to the "no headphone jack" problem. Even if you have a previous generation iPhone, I think the Cipher cable sounds better than plugging straight into the 3.5mm jack. It's not quite as good as a dedicated portable DAC/Amp though.

Yeah from what I have read the original wasn't well received but they updated them late 2015 early 2016 that much improved the sound? I know it is made for mobile use but I will only be using them at home, heavy isn't a problem.

I do have a 7 plus so that could be handy, however I do also have a Mojo but sometimes it a pain to have it strapped to my phone.

How is the sound leakage? The issue I have at the moment is that my HE400i leak everything, they could almost be classed as a portable speaker which isn't good for me.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #492 of 711
I finally got the chance to use these cans on the bus for work today, and by the Gods, I did use the Audeze hardcase :p I am most pleased with how good they seal out engine noise and voices, better then my P7 Wireleass (they do the job too). The crackling noise were not too problemetic as long as I just lean back and relax.

A good first run! 

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #493 of 711
The sound isolation is good. I'm satisfied with the amount of sound that they block out. The seal created by the earpads is great. Sound leakage is not noticeable at medium volumes and below but I find once you get into higher volumes sound leakage becomes noticeable. I can pump up the volume and the person next to me will be able to tell me what I'm listening too. Overall though, since the isolation is good I don't find myself needed to crank the volume too much in louder settings.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #494 of 711
  The sound isolation is good. I'm satisfied with the amount of sound that they block out. The seal created by the earpads is great. Sound leakage is not noticeable at medium volumes and below but I find once you get into higher volumes sound leakage becomes noticeable. I can pump up the volume and the person next to me will be able to tell me what I'm listening too. Overall though, since the isolation is good I don't find myself needed to crank the volume too much in louder settings.

Thats just what I'm after. I'm down to these or the Opposite PM-3's, I think I need to audition both. Thanks for your help.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #495 of 711
So does anybody know if Audeze is releasing a version 2.0 of these soon? They supposedly had those at a private lounge in a NY show a couple of months ago, and may have had them in CES last week.
Was anybody there? Does anybody know what this version 2.0 is about? And when it's available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back