Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,366 of 6,486
@daphen

@reddog
has experience with some good mid-range-to-high-end closed-back headphones. But last time I checked, he hasn't heard the Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back and Focal Spirit Professional.

I would like to check out the EL-8, both open and the closed back, I want to hear the house bass of Audeze.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #4,369 of 6,486
  I prefered the EL-8 in just about every regard to the PM-3. :) 
Daphen nirvana would be an open headphone, but that's not an option in an office. :frowning2:

Well they are not comparable. The PM-3 cost 400 the EL-8 cost 700. The PM-3 are truly portable the EL-8 just fold flat. Why is everyone comparing the EL-8s to the PM-3 just because they came out about the same time and are planar magnetic does not make them comparable.  Oppo offers the PM-2 which are the same exact price as the EL-8 as well as similar in size that is what people should be comparing them to. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #4,370 of 6,486
@daphen

@reddog
has experience with some good mid-range-to-high-end closed-back headphones. But last time I checked, he hasn't heard the Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back and Focal Spirit Professional.

I would like to check out the EL-8, both open and the closed back, I want to hear the house bass of Audeze.

Only my take, but you ought to try an LCD if you want to hear the true Audeze bass house sound. The EL-8 bass response didn't live up to that promise for me. It was fast, but lacked weight compared to its bigger siblings, IMHO.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #4,371 of 6,486
Well they are not comparable. The PM-3 cost 400 the EL-8 cost 700. The PM-3 are truly portable the EL-8 just fold flat. Why is everyone comparing the EL-8s to the PM-3 just because they came out about the same time and are planar magnetic does not make them comparable.  Oppo offers the PM-2 which are the same exact price as the EL-8 as well as similar in size that is what people should be comparing them to. 
+1 Well said.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #4,372 of 6,486
Only my take, but you ought to try an LCD if you want to hear the true Audeze bass house sound. The EL-8 bass response didn't live up to that promise for me. It was fast, but lacked weight compared to its bigger siblings, IMHO.

Hmm ok I should try a full-fledged audeze, like the lcd-2 f or the LCD-X. Thanks for your advice.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #4,374 of 6,486

Hmm ok I should try a full-fledged audeze, like the lcd-2 f or the LCD-X. Thanks for your advice.

You bet! They're beautiful sounding phones and you'll have a lot of fun.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,376 of 6,486
You bet! They're beautiful sounding phones and you'll have a lot of fun.

Thanks I definitely need to audition these sometime.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,378 of 6,486

What about the HiFiMAN HE-400i and HE-560? Do you feel the EL-8 has better overall sound quality than those two?

I wasn't a fan of the HE-400i, so that's a no brainer for the EL-8s. The HE-560s are fantastic headphones and I really like them, but I prefer the fuller sounding open EL-8s. But in all honesty, I'd really love to hear them side-by-side a few more times to make that call. Can't really go wrong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back