Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #4,876 of 7,352
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #4,877 of 7,352
I know this is off topic, but I must thank you for alerting us to this. Never saw it before. Full size SD? 7V balanced swing? (Caveat, no load. Hope that doesn't slack/droop too much with the iSine20 as load). That 'new tech' et al? I'm all over this. Can't await to give it a try @ Can Jam NYC in a little over a week. I think Mrs. m8o will have something to bitch about soon; ie another audio related expendature. Lol
Yeah we all need more audio goodness for the lovely Audeze iSine right? Maybe if Mrs. m80 and Mrs. BB808 knew the KANN just made the Wall of Fame, they would approve.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #4,878 of 7,352
Thank you I certainly will give them a go after work tomorrow. I picked up an AK70 Mk2 from richer sounds on the way home from work yesterday the isines are sounding great out of that without EQ but on PC that APO EQ is a absolute godsend thanks.

Well BR777 I think I prefer the original one pal, that said I have changed my mind on the AK after a bit more of a play it has a 10 band eq that actually works and it does indeed sound better with eq with the isine that said it sounded better straight up than my DFR. Anyway I feel I chop and and change my mind so much no fine fellow here should listen to me lol one thing fore-sure though these little go go spider man planar's are both super interesting and sound brilliant had a go with my cipher cable straight out a pals iphone x and if I am honest it didn't sound as good as what I have had with either the DFR or AK70 with eq these little ti-fighters do not need that cable to sound good.

Want a go of the lcdi4 so much.

have fun guys and girls this is such a quirky headphone that sounds good in spades if prepared to fiddle.

Rob

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #4,879 of 7,352
Well BR777 I think I prefer the original one pal, that said I have changed my mind on the AK after a bit more of a play it has a 10 band eq that actually works and it does indeed sound better with eq with the isine that said it sounded better straight up than my DFR. Anyway I feel I chop and and change my mind so much no fine fellow here should listen to me lol one thing fore-sure though these little go go spider man planar's are both super interesting and sound brilliant had a go with my cipher cable straight out a pals iphone x and if I am honest it didn't sound as good as what I have had with either the DFR or AK70 with eq these little ti-fighters do not need that cable to sound good.

Want a go of the lcdi4 so much.

have fun guys and girls this is such a quirky headphone that sounds good in spades if prepared to fiddle.

Rob

PS all this talk of filters and roon grabbed a trial this evening where has this program been all my life its brilliant, one thing Tidal does not do well is send you on journey based on your local catalogue and favourites you need to know what you want, roon offers up tastes of music to explore and presents it in such a great/clean looking way big fan so far. (not tried the audeze filters/plugins yet)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,880 of 7,352
One last post don't want to be that over eager dude that annoys the hell out of everyone with his over enthusiastic multi posts but... I have read the majority of this thread skipped here and there and don't have a definitive answer on how are people finding the isines balanced? Seen a few posts of folks enquiring about cables, and also seen the odd one of folks that had cables on order but haven't read the result?

Never tried balanced even with gear in the past that could benefit from it, I can't imagine the isines really need it especially power wise but i am interested in hearing thoughts none the less, tried with x cable from x and thoughts.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #4,881 of 7,352
I have read the majority of this thread skipped here and there and don't have a definitive answer on how are people finding the isines balanced?

It will depend on what they're plugged into, to some extent. Not every balanced amp or DAP will necessarily sound the same or sound different from single-ended output in the same way, and with a given amp or DAP, the difference between balanced and single-ended may be more about the specific implementation in that device than about the difference between balanced and single-ended per se.

I don't think it's imperative to rush out and buy balanced gear and cables if you're not acutely curious or looking to solve a power problem.

That being said, I'm happily running my iSine 20 balanced with an ALO CDM and a Shanling M3s using inexpensive Venture Electronics cables. The difference is subtle, and I notice it mainly in the soundstage (although sometimes the added power is actually helpful). In the case of the M3s there is also a small tonal shift when going between single-ended and balanced, I think. My listening comparisons have not been very scientific, though.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #4,882 of 7,352
20180209_005033.png

Someone posted this, i think it is done on opus 1, tried to match it as possible on my qp1r and has been working very nice ..

I was trying to find the post to tag him but didnt find it ..

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #4,883 of 7,352
It will depend on what they're plugged into, to some extent. Not every balanced amp or DAP will necessarily sound the same or sound different from single-ended output in the same way, and with a given amp or DAP, the difference between balanced and single-ended may be more about the specific implementation in that device than about the difference between balanced and single-ended per se.

I don't think it's imperative to rush out and buy balanced gear and cables if you're not acutely curious or looking to solve a power problem.

That being said, I'm happily running my iSine 20 balanced with an ALO CDM and a Shanling M3s using inexpensive Venture Electronics cables. The difference is subtle, and I notice it mainly in the soundstage (although sometimes the added power is actually helpful). In the case of the M3s there is also a small tonal shift when going between single-ended and balanced, I think. My listening comparisons have not been very scientific, though.

Thanks for taking time to reply, I used to have quite allot of gear that could potentially take advantage of balanced but now that is limited to a portable AK70mk2 looking into cables presently for shure535 and isine to try it, very little options found for isine outside of aliexpress no doubt due to how new it is aside from the Audeze lcd4i cable (£400 nice) seems US has an abundance of cable makers jealous of head-fi across the pond. I think I would like a different cable for the isine even if its just SE, either way its a bit of minefield read balanced can have a detrimental effect on certain headphones regardless of source Shure (my on the go main stay) came up on that one. Just want to dip my toe into balance clueless thought ask the question dont want to use the isine as my test case if its not best suited. Thanks again. Rob

EDIT your response is enough for me to think exploring balanced the isine is most likely not my best test case, after a good closed back possibly a Mr Speakers Aeon that may be the time to try when funds allow thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #4,884 of 7,352
Thanks for taking time to reply, I used to have quite allot of gear that could potentially take advantage of balanced but now that is limited to a portable AK70mk2 looking into cables presently for shure535 and isine to try it, very little options found for isine outside of aliexpress no doubt due to how new it is aside from the Audeze lcd4i cable (£400 nice) seems US has an abundance of cable makers jealous of head-fi across the pond. I think I would like a different cable for the isine even if its just SE, either way its a bit of minefield read balanced can have a detrimental effect on certain headphones regardless of source Shure (my on the go main stay) came up on that one. Just want to dip my toe into balance clueless thought ask the question dont want to use the isine as my test case if its not best suited. Thanks again. Rob

EDIT your response is enough for me to think exploring balanced the isine is most likely not my best test case, after a good closed back possibly a Mr Speakers Aeon that may be the time to try when funds allow thanks.

Yeah, really cheap balanced cables are likely coming from China. (Here's the page for the Venture Electronics basic cables; you can also get them from their aliexpress store.)

There are definitely custom cable-makers elsewhere who could make you very nice cables that will work with the iSine, but you'll be looking at more like $100-200 to start with, I think.

If you're in the US, it's easier to find balanced cables with MMCX termination to use with your Shure. (Amazon carries some.) I tried balanced with my Shure SE425 and eventually switched back to single-ended with those, partly because of the tonal shift I mentioned earlier on the M3s. With the balanced cable, the M3s/SE425 combo was a little brighter than I wanted. That combination also caused the M3s to run hotter than my other balanced headphones.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #4,885 of 7,352
Yeah, really cheap balanced cables are likely coming from China. (Here's the page for the Venture Electronics basic cables; you can also get them from their aliexpress store.)

There are definitely custom cable-makers elsewhere who could make you very nice cables that will work with the iSine, but you'll be looking at more like $100-200 to start with, I think.

If you're in the US, it's easier to find balanced cables with MMCX termination to use with your Shure. (Amazon carries some.) I tried balanced with my Shure SE425 and eventually switched back to single-ended with those, partly because of the tonal shift I mentioned earlier on the M3s. With the balanced cable, the M3s/SE425 combo was a little brighter than I wanted. That combination also caused the M3s to run hotter than my other balanced headphones.

I had read the same re shure's on the tonal shift, Ill check out Venture Electronics I am far from loaded but happy to invest when the time is right heh, but I am totally in the dark when it comes to balanced so china suits me for now. Hey if it sounds great I will be all over that Audeze i4 cable even if I cant afford it, watched a youtube review of the i4 and as cables go it looks bloody lovely never mind the sound (shallow) thanks again much appreciated.

EDIT: #skint

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #4,886 of 7,352

Someone posted this, i think it is done on opus 1, tried to match it as possible on my qp1r and has been working very nice ..

I was trying to find the post to tag him but didnt find it ..
It looks like mine. That red banner on the right is from you phone or browser header? Assuming so, we'll thanks! :)

If it is me, again sure looks like it, that's when I was using the stock cable. After receiving the quality balanced 2.5mm copper+silver cable, using the 2.5mm plug of the Opus #1, I found I needed less extremes. That eq was shared before too. But here it is again. I actually keep 250, 500, 1K one step higher than in this photo now.

20180122_011208.jpg

I never believed in the cable upgrade thing, until this. I was a serious skeptic. I was wrong.

The cable I got is from the seller on ebay LQicables.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172794088170

I shared my thoughts of how it bettered everything for me just the other day. Go a few pages back. I think before that whitemouse dude went off on Kmann or anyone else who made the mistake of trying to converse with him.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4,887 of 7,352
It looks like mine. That red banner on the right is from you phone or browser header? Assuming so, we'll thanks! :)

If it is me, again sure looks like it, that's when I was using the stock cable. After receiving the quality balanced 2.5mm copper+silver cable, using the 2.5mm plug of the Opus #1, I found I needed less extremes. That eq was shared before too. But here it is again. I actually keep 250, 500, 1K one step higher than in this photo now.

I never believed in the cable upgrade thing, until this. I was a serious skeptic. I was wrong.

The cable I got is from the seller on ebay LQicables.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172794088170

I shared my thoughts of how it bettered everything for me just the other day. Go a few pages back. I think before that cheese dude went off on Kmann or anyone else who made the mistake of trying to converse with him.

Great, i will check it out :ksc75smile:

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,888 of 7,352
Great, i will check it out :ksc75smile:
I was wrong. Not 'that cheese dude'; pardon to him. I meant, before whitemouse went off... I fixed it in my post. Ironically, i discovered cheese_sandwich was only on my mind because he seconded my positive experience with and upgraded cable right after my post in question. Again, my apologies to him.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #4,889 of 7,352

Just need a good amp..

I just need a balanced cable (coming)

Everybody should have a good fully balanced amp/dac :wink:
So I've had my iSine 10s for a while and it never occurred to me to try them on high gain because their impedance is only 16 ohms. After watching your newer review (where you break the record of most times the word "power" is used in a video) I tried it out and was surprised how much gain these things can handle. It changed my listening experience completely. That was a great discovery!

By the way, I was very surprised when you called the iSines inferior to the ME.1 in your first video. I'm glad you were able to discover the "power" of the iSines.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #4,890 of 7,352
PS all this talk of filters and roon grabbed a trial this evening where has this program been all my life its brilliant, one thing Tidal does not do well is send you on journey based on your local catalogue and favourites you need to know what you want, roon offers up tastes of music to explore and presents it in such a great/clean looking way big fan so far. (not tried the audeze filters/plugins yet)

Musical exploratory journey? Is it as good as Spotify for discovery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back