Audeze LCD 2 for a beginner..
Nov 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bobduck

New Head-Fier
Not trolling or looking for a fight, honest!
I have an opportunity to get myself a pair of LCD 2s for a good price but have a couple of reservations/queries.
Having previously been in the plug and play camp with my grado 325e being fed from an ipad 3 or laptop I would like to know the following:
1) in the first instance would the ipad/ laptop drive the phones well enough to enjoy them or would they sound terrible?
2) stupid question but I take it there is a big jump in sound quality over the 325e... (Serious question as I live about 80 miles from the nearest dealer of any variety of headphones so a demo is difficult).
3) re amping - would something like the chord mojo be a decent choice considering the choices of source?

I know these seem silly questions but I want to be sure about this....

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 14
You definitely need an amp, they don't get very loud or sound too spectacular right out of something like a phone.

They are a huge upgrade over the 325, but if you are treble happy, you might not find yourself satisfied.

The only thing the LCD2 and 325 have in common are intimacy and speed, but they offer very different takes on that

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for your advice!
So the ipad no good either? Just looking for something that will drive them to a point that they will be better than the grados at first until i work out a way to sneak the amp/dac in! The full glory of the phones will be released at a later date due to them being rather expensive even when the deal is good!

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for your advice!
So the ipad no good either? Just looking for something that will drive them to a point that they will be better than the grados at first until i work out a way to sneak the amp/dac in! The full glory of the phones will be released at a later date due to them being rather expensive even when the deal is good!
I mean if you like the sound signature it should be an immediate upgrade from the Grados without an amp. Do eventually get an amp though!

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 14
You can play them through your iPad but it will be tremendously unsatisfying. I played mine through an iPhone and it was ok, but nothing special. But, if the price is that right you can make do. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Get yourself a Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost multibit and call it day.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 14
Ok, getting near to making my mind up!
It would seem that the purchase of these 'phones would be pointless without buying an amp at the same time?
Unfortunately this is not an option as funds allow for the headphones only at this moment and it could be 6 months before amplification is added.
Is the general consensus not to bother then?

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 14
  Budget is about £500 - 600 and i would like a big open soundstage without overly bright treble but with a deep rich bass!

As a lcd2f owner i can say that the soundstage is good, but not like certain dynamics, plannars have more closed stages. But their signature is what you want i think. It has a darker signature, no treble spikes and the bass is quite good. What sort of music do you listen to?

Since you´re looking for big stage, i would go for open HPs, especially with plannar magnetics. I wouldn´t go for closed ones. But experiment and try first if you have the opurtunity.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Hey,
has somebocy using Audeze LCD-2 with Feliks Audio Espressivo headphone amp?
I upgradet to Audeze LCD-2 from Grado RS2e, and... not so much hype :)
Maybe my amop it's not capable to deliver "juice" to my new headphones?

That looks like it is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back