Audeze LCD 2 for music and gaming (or any recommendations in that price range)?
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Acquire

Head-Fier
I've decided it's time to upgrade from my old HD555s and have been doing a lot of reading up on headphones here.  Firstly, I want something that can actually do bass.  I hate that about the 555s.  They have no bass.  I primarily listen to electronic and alternative rock, but I also do a lot of PC gaming.  No competitive PC gaming though.  I just do single player or coop and in coop I rarely care about the audio since I'm usually having a steam voice chat with my friends as we play, but I would like to get good sound out of single player games.  I heard the LCD 2s are pretty terrible for gaming of any form, which kind of sucks because I really like how they look.  I was looking at the HE 500s as well (also really like how they look). My limit is $1k (give or take a few) for the headphones.  I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card on my PC that will the the sole source for these headphones.  Any other recommendations? I would prefer them to be open headphones.  I just like how those sound better (this is in comparison to my Audio Technical ATH M50s I use at work).  I sadly have no place to try any headphones out where I live.  So, the plan is to at most order three online and then return the ones I don't want >_>.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 9
The LCD2 and HE500 are imho both among the worlds best. The difference is just flavour. Your sound card is among the best.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Any other suggestions? Also, does anyone know where I can buy Audeze headphones with a good return policy?  I'm can't find the return policy on Audeze's website.

Headroom. I believe they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

I wouldn't call LCD2's the epitome of gaming headphones, however they still outclass every mid-fi headphone *I've* heard for gaming - which is good enough for me. They're "excellent" for music and still "great" for everything else.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 9
I think awhile back I read a thread on headphones for gaming, do not quote me on this but I'm fairly certain that several "mid-fi" headphones sounded more fun, and better competitively than the LCD-2.

May 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Headroom. I believe they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

I wouldn't call LCD2's the epitome of gaming headphones, however they still outclass every mid-fi headphone *I've* heard for gaming - which is good enough for me. They're "excellent" for music and still "great" for everything else.

Thanks for the mention Gnomeplay! We do offer a 30 day return policy on all new items.

May 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Thanks for the mention Gnomeplay! We do offer a 30 day return policy on all new items.

No problem I'll always give credit where it's due - though I ended up getting my own pair directly through Audeze, headroom was very helpful for me and were willing to work with a few specific circumstances I had at the point of purchase. The return policy is quite better than Audeze's own as well - the only thing that stopped me was lack of stock of the bamboo version at the time.

I think awhile back I read a thread on headphones for gaming, do not quote me on this but I'm fairly certain that several "mid-fi" headphones sounded more fun, and better competitively than the LCD-2.

LCD-2 are reference class headphones. They don't have an exaggerated V shaped sound signature, they don't have bloated bass, they don't have increased treble for the illusion of better detail - they're flat.

What the LCD-2's will provide for you given you use the right equipment - is a smooth, lush, textured sound. I started my audiophile journey preferring a V shaped signature myself - that was until I owned a pair of these. I wouldn't go back to mid-fi if someone paid me to.  Of course you may have a different feeling on the subject but I wouldn't knock it until you try it. If I ever get an urge to get enormous thumping bass or hot treble I can simply equalize them in and my LCD-2's deliver.

May 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

No problem I'll always give credit where it's due - though I ended up getting my own pair directly through Audeze, headroom was very helpful for me and were willing to work with a few specific circumstances I had at the point of purchase. The return policy is quite better than Audeze's own as well - the only thing that stopped me was lack of stock of the bamboo version at the time.

LCD-2 are reference class headphones. They don't have an exaggerated V shaped sound signature, they don't have bloated bass, they don't have increased treble for the illusion of better detail - they're flat.

What the LCD-2's will provide for you given you use the right equipment - is a smooth, lush, textured sound. I started my audiophile journey preferring a V shaped signature myself - that was until I owned a pair of these. I wouldn't go back to mid-fi if someone paid me to.  Of course you may have a different feeling on the subject but I wouldn't knock it until you try it. If I ever get an urge to get enormous thumping bass or hot treble I can simply equalize them in and my LCD-2's deliver.

When did I knock on the LCD-2?  Your reaction makes it obvious the LCD-2 is an amazing headphone.  For music LCD-2 all the way, however in my opinion gaming is a different story.

LCD-2 will be far more accurate that any other mid-fi headphone. But for competitive play do you want or need this?  All you're looking for is imaging and footsteps.  The AD700 is a horrible music headphone, but honestly it was great for competitive play.

If you're looking for a "fun" gaming headphone again LCD-2 gets the job done well, but come on, can't you agree that the DT880/990 would be amazing for all the FPS explosions/gunfire?

If anything you are the one knocking on mid-fi sir
cool.gif

May 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 9
I would not rate the LCD2's as good gaming headphones at all period, good for music but a shocker for gaming. The AD900X is better in regards to this. The Sony SA3/5k line is good as well. I don't like the K/Q70X headphones from AKG, but others have reported them being good with imaging in gaming as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back