Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6,256 of 13,140
  I worked in a studio for several years.
The best engineers will tell that you better off gets the right sound during the recording because if you can change it later it won't be the same.
An audio engineer uses eq but generally on isolated tracks. He has to choose carefully the type of eq he wants to use and he might choose an eq that will add more than just the frequency modification (type of saturation, type of phase shift, ...). It can be used artistically as well, then it is an artistic choice. Also it is mainly done in 24bits before dithering which will decrease the noise added for each processing (for digital effect).
But it is well known that too much processing including eq will kill your sound.

@Jeb Listens about your LCD-2F, I would say you can tame the hf with an eq but your sound will be a bit blurred. You can as well add sub-bass with an eq but your bass will be less precise. You have to try and listen for yourself.
You can also tame your hf with an acoustic impedance (a tissue with certain acoustic properties). You can start by splitting in layer a toilet paper and add holes in it or add a second layer if necessary.

Marcan, cheers for the info and the tips.  Not sure I'm ready to put toilet paper in my LCDs yet.  I'm really mostly delighted with them and just being picky!

Interesting we were talking about to EQ or not to EQ and I just saw Audeze are asking for beta-testers of their new "Black-Box" Amp/DAC which features a perhaps more sophisticated way to tweak the sound:

Logging into the exclusive Audeze Black Box web portal, you can access the headphone's measurements. You can also tweak the response to your liking. Or you can examine the differences between direct-field and diffuse-field performance. Our proprietary algorithms take care of the rest and optimize the performance to match the target response that you have created. We are adding more functionality to the cloud, so by the time you get it, there might be more options. Note, this isn’t simple EQ.

Sounds very cool.  Main post is here

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #6,257 of 13,140

Marcan, cheers for the info and the tips.  Not sure I'm ready to put toilet paper in my LCDs yet.  I'm really mostly delighted with them and just being picky!

Interesting we were talking about to EQ or not to EQ and I just saw Audeze are asking for beta-testers of their new "Black-Box" Amp/DAC which features a perhaps more sophisticated way to tweak the sound:

Logging into the exclusive Audeze Black Box web portal, you can access the headphone's measurements. You can also tweak the response to your liking. Or you can examine the differences between direct-field and diffuse-field performance. Our proprietary algorithms take care of the rest and optimize the performance to match the target response that you have created. We are adding more functionality to the cloud, so by the time you get it, there might be more options. Note, this isn’t simple EQ.

Sounds very cool.  Main post is here

Jeb, try to find a balanced amp. It really makes a huge difference. You should easily find a bryston bha-1 on the second hand market. It's 20 years warranty so no worries. Then you can think about the dac.

I looked at the audeze black box. Not sure it will increase the quality. Every process will have a drawback. You just have to see if the benefits outweighs the drawbacks. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,258 of 13,140
  Jeb, try to find a balanced amp. It really makes a huge difference. You should easily find a bryston bha-1 on the second hand market. It's 20 years warranty so no worries. Then you can think about the dac.

I looked at the audeze black box. Not sure it will increase the quality. Every process will have a drawback. You just have to see if the benefits outweighs the drawbacks. 

Thanks marcan, i'll definitely be looking to add an excellent solid-state amp to the desktop arsenal at some point in the not too distant future.  The Bryston looks excellent.   20 year warranty is really outstanding!   Violectric v281 is another on the future wish-list.   Ragnarok... Taurus... the list goes on.  Tyll at inner fidelity is planning a huge comparison of some of the best and most talked about amps/DACs in his "Big Sound 2015" for some of the top-tier headphones including Audezes.  Should make for great reading. 

Yes will wait to see what happens with Audeze's "black box" - have to commend them for offering something different - or at least making it more accessible to others.

Cheers & Happy listening!

beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,259 of 13,140
  A little off topic but have any of you needed to send your LCD back to Audeze for repair? And if so how long did you have to wait until you got them back?

My right speaker died...reason unknown. Just stopped working. They took them in on a RMA so now it is a matter of sitting patiently...and waiting.

I've come close to buying new headphones just because I don't like waiting for anything lol. I'm holding off for now...but it has been tuff.
blink.gif

What is it with Audeze deaths?
I wonder if Abyss have deaths in custody as Audeze do.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #6,260 of 13,140
Well I for one never heard of any issues since they fixed the cable inputs long ago. But one night the cans were working perfect and the next day I took them out of their case and one speaker didn't work. Googled it and sure enough this seems to be an on going issue.

Found out today thet Audeze takes 5-10 days to repair headphones after receipt. Looks like I have another week or so to go.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #6,261 of 13,140
  What is it with Audeze deaths?
I wonder if Abyss have deaths in custody as Audeze do.

About 2 months ago the left driver in my LCD-2 fazor went silent. After making sure it wasn't a cable or connection problem i emailed Audeze customer service. They responded almost immediately and instructed me to return it to them for repair. The actual repair took about a week after they received it. The whole whole ordeal was only about 2 weeks including shipping.
There was never any question from Audeze, just quick and perfect service.
My LCD -2 fazors have worked perfectly since then.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #6,262 of 13,140
What was your date of manufacture?

About 2 months ago the left driver in my LCD-2 fazor went silent. After making sure it wasn't a cable or connection problem i emailed Audeze customer service. They responded almost immediately and instructed me to return it to them for repair. The actual repair took about a week after they received it. The whole whole ordeal was only about 2 weeks including shipping.
There was never any question from Audeze, just quick and perfect service.
My LCD -2 fazors have worked perfectly since then.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6,263 of 13,140
I just received the Geek Pulse X this past Friday and have finally gotten the chance to listen to it through the LCD2f.  Initial impressions are good (listening single-ended b/c I my balanced cable has not arrived yet).  Can't wait to carve out some time to A/B it with my other amps.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #6,266 of 13,140
  Has anyone tried the 2's with a Darkvoice 336se? I know it's an OTL, but it seems to have lots of current :)

Tried my BH Crack (OTL) just to see and while it will produce sound its not very good, lacks bass, and mids are recessed, highs don't seem to be affected much.  LCD-2f sounds best on my Lyr2, second best is Ember.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #6,269 of 13,140
Can anyone give me any input on Audeze LCD-2's manufactured in June of 2013. Specifically June 5th, 2013. I've found some negative comments in relation to this specific month. If anyone has any knowledge of quality control issues or anything that occurred this month, please inbox me. I would be greatly appreciative.

Or does anyone have LCD-2's that were manufactured on this day/month and can tell me that they sound excellent.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,270 of 13,140
Does anyone else feel the LCD-2 yoke rods give too much while wearing them? The headphones feel great with 3 notches visible under the R/L but if I wear them they usually seem to go to 4 notches or so on one ear or the other which makes them feel way too loose.

And I can't imagine anyone needing the extended yokes, if you do let us see that large noggin with banana for scale XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back