Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 11, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #14,131 of 18,459

I know the AUD is still great against the USD but what is not so great is the 2.5% fee for a currency conversion hidden in the PayPal exchange rates. As far as postage costs, I want to know what they paid to ship them (if it shows it). Not so much what you paid for them to ship it :wink:

Sorry for everyone else who is following the thread for all this Aussie related LCD-2 chatter. It's not really suitable for PMs nor is it really suitable to be here...

Your bank usually charges you the same amount.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #14,134 of 18,459
I paid the same as LegendaryLvl1 in terms of shipping, slightly more expensive overall because of the lower exchange rate. Yeah, the AUD/USD conversion rate is just too good right now ^^.

Back to the LCD2 (know this is going to make some people mad), would one of those really expensive 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptors ($90-165) sound much different to a $3 one? Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning run the LCD2 through a Stepdance for the time being and it needs a 3.5mm jack.

PS: Haven't decided on whether to ball out on a RWA DAC/AMP or a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo yet... 

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #14,135 of 18,459
Buy the $3 one.  makes no difference. I believe difference in cable and power supply. but adaptor? no. it's not worth it at all. I didnt even know they sell a single adaptor for that price.

Quote:
I paid the same as LegendaryLvl1 in terms of shipping, slightly more expensive overall because of the lower exchange rate. Yeah, the AUD/USD conversion rate is just too good right now ^^.

Back to the LCD2 (know this is going to make some people mad), would one of those really expensive 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptors ($90-165) sound much different to a $3 one? Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning run the LCD2 through a Stepdance for the time being and it needs a 3.5mm jack.

PS: Haven't decided on whether to ball out on a RWA DAC/AMP or a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo yet... 

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #14,136 of 18,459
Buy the cheapest gold plated one you can get. Unlike cables, these blocks are solid metal and simple in construction. There is no need for them to be that expensive. Plus the fact it will become obsolete after you purchase a decent amp :¬)

Quote:

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #14,137 of 18,459

Quote:
Buy the $3 one.  makes no difference. I believe difference in cable and power supply. but adaptor? no. it's not worth it at all. I didnt even know they sell a single adaptor for that price.

I agree in principle but found that the very cheap one wouldn't work correctly with my Just Audio uHA 120, it had a poor connection, I splashed out £12 and bought the Grado prestige mini adapter cable and find that this works very well.

Quote:
Hey man. I am sorry to tell u this. U might get a letter within few days abt ur tax and custom fee which will be ~$200.
Fedex doesnt hold ur item any more. They delivery it to u first then ask for tax.

I agree, I thought I had got away with customs charges, a week later got a bill from Fedex for £36 (£20 customs and £16 to Fedex for processing the transaction) two rip offs in one letter.

I would quite like the leather headband for $100, but as I pointed out earlier, the postage would be $43, handling charge from Fedex would be £16 customs would be probably a minimum of £25, by the time it is all added up it would be nearer twice the price.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #14,138 of 18,459
Buy the cheapest gold plated one you can get. Unlike cables, these blocks are solid metal and simple in construction. There is no need for them to be that expensive. Plus the fact it will become obsolete after you purchase a decent amp :¬)

Not all RCA to mini-stereo adapters are single piece metal blocks some of them have a flexible wire connecting the two ends. Some of them have inferior build standards as I bought one by a prominent name in cables that was obviously defective (sounded really bad). So I second Yoga's advice.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #14,139 of 18,459
has anyone tried adjusting/bending/stretching their leather headband? mine still feels too clampy after 2 days..im getting headaches wearing them for hours at a time.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #14,140 of 18,459
I am wondering if there is anyone here from Canada who has recently purchased a pair of new LCD-2's from the U.S.A. I am specifically wondering what duty fee one can expect to incur. UPS, which appears to be the only shipping method, often charges ridiculous brokerage fees, so I guess the question is 'how much extra funds, on top of the cost of the cans and UPS, did these suckers cost?' Thanks in advance for the info! :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #14,141 of 18,459
Quote:
has anyone tried adjusting/bending/stretching their leather headband? mine still feels too clampy after 2 days..im getting headaches wearing them for hours at a time.

Have you tried leaving them clamped on something overnight? Preferably something marginally larger than your own head :¬)

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #14,142 of 18,459
I was considering that. like the audeze pelican travel case. haha... but I wasn't sure if i would damage the band. how're yours working out for you? 

Quote:
Have you tried leaving them clamped on something overnight? Preferably something marginally larger than your own head :¬)

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #14,143 of 18,459

Quote:
I am wondering if there is anyone here from Canada who has recently purchased a pair of new LCD-2's from the U.S.A. I am specifically wondering what duty fee one can expect to incur. UPS, which appears to be the only shipping method, often charges ridiculous brokerage fees, so I guess the question is 'how much extra funds, on top of the cost of the cans and UPS, did these suckers cost?' Thanks in advance for the info! :)

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/  This tool can help but I'm not sure if it's totally accurate.

Typically I try to find a place that will ship USPS, that doesn't help with taxes but it does avoid the ridiculous brokerage fees. Moon Audio ships via USPS, I've contacted Drew and the shipping rate was very reasonable if that helps. Taxes paid on top will vary from province to province depending on whether the charge HST or GST+PST or in a few cases just GST. If you don't have a choice but to use UPS here's a page that will help calculate the costs http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html. Unfortunately I haven't found a similar guide for FedEx and worse FedEx bills after the fact so you end up with a nice fat bill in the mail a few weeks after the fact.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #14,144 of 18,459
Quote:
I was considering that. like the audeze pelican travel case. haha... but I wasn't sure if i would damage the band. how're yours working out for you? 

Just checked the travel case, that's a good call. Perhaps slightly big for my liking, but I'm sure some people have heads that wide. Consider treating the leather before you opt for overnight stretching, as MrScary did.

I have Rev 1s at the moment with the metal/foam band. Will be exchanging for Rev 2s (with leather band) though as soon as they arrive at UK distributor :¬)

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #14,145 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm not in Canada but when I ordered my LCD's UPS came up as the only option on the Audeze website but they seem to ship everything FedEx even though UPS in the only option showing.    The Audeze website is the companies weakest link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back