Audeze LCD-4
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #6,496 of 12,039
I've always wanted to hear the Stax SR-009, especially if it was amped by the BHSE. Makes me wonder if i'd ever deviate towards the electrostat camp knowing i've been able to hear flagships like the Utopia and LCD-4. But the fact that the TOTL electrostat amps are ridiculously expensive and can only power electrostat headphones is what has made weary of ever purchasing an electrostat setup. It's interesting you switched from a TOTL electrostat setup to the LCD-4 :)
One of my Head-Fi pals just acquired the BHSE + SR-009. That is a $10,000 adventure. But...he loves the sound.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #6,497 of 12,039
I like both my Stax rig and Dynamic rig. IMO its just preference, and i cant say one is outright better than the other across all genres.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #6,498 of 12,039
Can anyone suggest a cable for the LCD4 that mellows-out what I hear is a peak/shrillness in vocals (but doesn't mush-up the bass)?
I EQ (via Jriver) with a 3 or 4db drop at the 4 - 6 kHz range, but I would like to avoid EQ if possible.

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #6,499 of 12,039
One of my Head-Fi pals just acquired the BHSE + SR-009. That is a $10,000 adventure. But...he loves the sound.

I came from the other direction,. a KGSShv Carbon and the 009s to the LCD4. I find I prefer the fuller and more solid presentation, more body in the midrange. The detail trip of the 009 got to me in the end, too much, not realistic to my ears. But both give near top of the level in their respective signatures, it is probably down to preferences. Oddly I am hearing more detail in the midrange on the LCD4 than the Stax, and voices are to die for. The bass, well we all know about the Audeze bass......

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #6,500 of 12,039
Can anyone suggest a cable for the LCD4 that mellows-out what I hear is a peak/shrillness in vocals (but doesn't mush-up the bass)?
I EQ (via Jriver) with a 3 or 4db drop at the 4 - 6 kHz range, but I would like to avoid EQ if possible.

Thanks.

Odd, I don't hear that. Which LCD4 version is it? I actually run my LCD4 with 2dB boost at 4.6kHz range. Could it be your JRiver? Are you feeding the DAVE at bit-perfect, no up sampling?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #6,501 of 12,039

Thanks.
Try Moon Audio Silver Dragon, that cable has a tendency to smoothen out things, you'll be losing a lot of detail compared to something like Norne Audio Silvergarde 2/DHC Prion 4 but Moon Audio Cable is one of the smoothest I have heard

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #6,502 of 12,039
You know I've had many Audezes (LCD2/3 fazored and not, LCD4 100ohm now 200ohm), and I always hear this bit of glare in Audezes somehow.
But I stick with them because it's just a frequency-response thing that responds well to cable and EQ,
so it's fixable. I keep coming back to Audeze because of the wonderful intricate texture and bloom. I feel they are the king of magplanar.
I sold my Oppos, Mr. Speakers, most of my Hifimans, and even my Abyss because they did not have the bloom and liquidity I hear in Audeze.

I now use a Lazuli non-reference, as that one seems to help a lot. I have not tried the reference version. (has anyone tried the reference by any chance with the LCD4?) Thanks.

I just use the DAVE with my ripped CDs and Jriver, so I'm not sure about the bit-perfect thing.
I'm a little confused about how all that works (or alternatives to Jriver like Foobar2k or HQ player).

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #6,503 of 12,039
You know I've had many Audezes (LCD2/3 fazored and not, LCD4 100ohm now 200ohm), and I always hear this bit of glare in Audezes somehow.
But I stick with them because it's just a frequency-response thing that responds well to cable and EQ,
so it's fixable. I keep coming back to Audeze because of the wonderful intricate texture and bloom. I feel they are the king of magplanar.
I sold my Oppos, Mr. Speakers, most of my Hifimans, and even my Abyss because they did not have the bloom and liquidity I hear in Audeze.

I now use a Lazuli non-reference, as that one seems to help a lot. I have not tried the reference version. (has anyone tried the reference by any chance with the LCD4?) Thanks.

I just use the DAVE with my ripped CDs and Jriver, so I'm not sure about the bit-perfect thing.
I'm a little confused about how all that works (or alternatives to Jriver like Foobar2k or HQ player).

I agree on the LCD4 sound, I left Stax 009s and Carbon for it.

On bit perfect, it is really simple. Rob Watts says feed the DAVE straight, no up sampling. And the DAVE is pure PCM, convert DSD back to PCM, so no point in going HQ player and DSD conversion IMO, or up sampling.

I still don't hear the tele issue you mention, maybe it is noise from your PC down USB? Have you tried Optical or Ethernet?

Good luck.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,505 of 12,039
I ordered a very inexpensive cable for LCD-MX4 since I wanted to test what effect a different cable would have on them :)

Will take some photos and adds some impressions when it arrives
The Premium Cable that they offer with the LCD 4 or maybe even the LCD MX4 is a very high quality OCC Copper Cable in itself. I wouldn't be surprised if that cheap cable is inferior to the Audeze Premium Cable

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #6,508 of 12,039
The Premium Cable that they offer with the LCD 4 or maybe even the LCD MX4 is a very high quality OCC Copper Cable in itself. I wouldn't be surprised if that cheap cable is inferior to the Audeze Premium Cable

I don't expect it to have superior quality, but I wanted to test different lengths and connectors for the sake of testing them with a few different sources :)

This one is supposed to be made form Van Damme cables and Neutrik connectors

http://highertasteproject.com/shop/index.php?id_product=104&controller=product

I have no clue what either of those things mean, but I want to see how it sounds when compared to the original, as having the 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter might he harder to use while on-the-go with portables :)

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #6,509 of 12,039
I have a pair of LCD-4 paired with cavalli audio liquid gold. I absolutely love them. This headphone has some truly amazing imaging. However, I found the depth of the image is quite weird. The sound is always feels like coming from the back of my especially for some concert or symphony recordings. I tried most of those types of music same thing happens. so does vocals and jazz. None of the interconnect are connected wrongly with left and right channel. Even if i switch them the sound is still coming from the behind.
Is this something the recording supposed to be? or something else

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #6,510 of 12,039
I have a pair of LCD-4 paired with cavalli audio liquid gold. I absolutely love them. This headphone has some truly amazing imaging. However, I found the depth of the image is quite weird. The sound is always feels like coming from the back of my especially for some concert or symphony recordings. I tried most of those types of music same thing happens. so does vocals and jazz. None of the interconnect are connected wrongly with left and right channel. Even if i switch them the sound is still coming from the behind.
Is this something the recording supposed to be? or something else

For how you're describing the issues, if you're only getting that with some recordings, it most probably is due to the recording itself.

Metal seems to have a very natural imaging and depth to my ears on both LCD-4 and CD-MX4 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back