Audeze LCD-4
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #6,016 of 12,035
@David B - i'm familiar with the controversy, tho i wouldn't describe it as tawdry. so you're blaming the reviewer for reviewing the lcd4 and utopia units that were provided to him for review, and then accusing him of being sloppy for investigating the marked differences between his and bob katz's (and his protégés) subjective impressions by evaluating the different units in question for himself, establishing that there were variations between them, and revising his conclusions accordingly?

well i regard that as diligent and honest reviewing. i can't think of another audio reviewer who would go to such lengths to investigate the discrepancies, and publish them for the record.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #6,017 of 12,035
@David B - i'm familiar with the controversy, tho i wouldn't describe it as tawdry. so you're blaming the reviewer for reviewing and measuring the lcd4 that was provided to him, and accusing him of being sloppy for investigating the marked differences in subjective impressions by evaluating the different production units for himself, establishing that there were variations between them, and revising his conclusions accordingly?

i regard that as diligent, and i can't think of any other audio reviewers who would go to those lengths to investigate such discrepancies and publish them for the record.

My quarrel isn't with anybody in particular; I'm sure Tyll is a nice guy and I appreciate his expertise and commitment. But nobody reading those articles should treat them as a more valuable determinant than their own ears. There simply is no definitive and objective 'better' or 'best' at this level and anyone who suggests otherwise is just plain wrong.

My quarrel is with the presumption, among some, that one persons' subjective opinion is more valuable than another's, and that if so-and-so thinks something about Headphone X, it should be taken to the bank as gospel truth. To me, the whole Inner Fidelity affair is proof positive of this and should serve as a wake-up call to audiophiles.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #6,018 of 12,035
that's a different "quarrel" which you are welcome to have with someone else

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #6,020 of 12,035
well i hope you feel better for it but i disagree with your representation of "the whole Inner Fidelity Thing"

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #6,022 of 12,035
I tend to agree,basing a review on a faulty unit and so raving about a unit that turned out to be defective really opened my eyes to what we allow to so influence our buying decisions....the bottom line is all of the top of the line HP's have strengths and weaknesses and there is no clear best....if you like the LCD-4 or you like the Abyss or you like the Utopia you are as right or as wrong as anyone else including the reviewers...i tend to view reviews kind of like rotten tomatoes movie reviews....if the overwhelming % of reviewers speak highly of a product i will look into it,if one reviewer does i will remain skeptical

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #6,023 of 12,035
Yes we disagree. To me, it showed that the Emperor had no clothes.

i don't think that parable applies here. however, you may be interested to know that audeze has replaced bob katz's lcd4. so again, this appears to me to be a case of variations in the units being reviewed rather than the reviewer's vanity.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #6,024 of 12,035
The whole innerfidelity affair just goes on to prove that at this price range it's all about personal preference imo.

Welll, when you buy a pair of headpfhones, you should always listen to it yourself and make up your mind.

The only reason why I like Tyll is that usually we hear the same thing. But reviews is more information to me about what's new the market that I should perhaps take a listen to.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,025 of 12,035
You pay 4000 for a pair of headphones you expect quality control

If reviewers are getting headphones that are broken or fixed to be better better than what the consumer gets there is a big problem

Most people can't test their equipment

As far as actually comparing the best from each....good luck
People's ears like different stuff

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #6,026 of 12,035
Just want to share with everyone that after trying the following list of headphone cables, the DHC Prion4 will be staying alongside the LCD4. Detailed and dynamic, yet smooth and non-fatiguing. Tonality is excellent. I was skeptical that there would be any real improvement over the Wireworld, but I'm now glad I pulled the trigger. Granted it was a pretty penny and a 10 week wait, but it should at least last me through the LCD-5.. :expressionless:

- Wireworld Nano-Platinum Eclipse
- Wywires Red
- Norne Draug2
- Audeze blue cable
- Audeze black and white cable

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #6,027 of 12,035
Thank you for confirming my own purchase. I bought an LCD-4 about two weeks ago. My Prion4 ships today. Does the Prion4 require a burn-in period of any length? For now I am using a friend's WyWires Red. Since I consider this my end of the line headphone I am selling the stock cables.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,028 of 12,035
Thank you for confirming my own purchase. I bought an LCD-4 about two weeks ago. My Prion4 ships today. Does the Prion4 require a burn-in period of any length? For now I am using a friend's WyWires Red. Since I consider this my end of the line headphone I am selling the stock cables.
I'm not sure Pippen. Right out of the carbon fiber pouch, it sounded excellent. I have about 36 hours on it and I can't discern any changes in the sounds. Never heard a cable that melded the warmth and body of copper with the detail and spaciousness of silver.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #6,029 of 12,035
Hello All,

I'm new to this thread.
I own the LCD-X and considering purchase of the LCD-4.
Thus my joining the thread.

My first thread impressions - very interesting.
Kind of snarky, but that's the fun of TOTL headphone threads.

The alternative HP's I am considering are the Focal Utopia.

My questions are:
Why would I like the LCD-4 vs. the LCD-X?
How would the LCD-4 beat the Utopia?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Kind regards,
RCB

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #6,030 of 12,035
Hello All,

I'm new to this thread.
I own the LCD-X and considering purchase of the LCD-4.
Thus my joining the thread.

My first thread impressions - very interesting.
Kind of snarky, but that's the fun of TOTL headphone threads.

The alternative HP's I am considering are the Focal Utopia.

My questions are:
Why would I like the LCD-4 vs. the LCD-X?
How would the LCD-4 beat the Utopia?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Kind regards,
RCB

I have both the LCD-4 and the Focal Utopias and like them both a lot. They are quite different. In my system and to my ears if I could only have one I would probably go with the Utopia due to their punchy sound and the more detailed insight that they give me, but I would miss the LCD-4 for when I just want to relax and listen to good sounding music. I can't compare the 4 to the Xs, as I have not heard them but have a pair of 3Fs. The 4 is just all round better, what's good about the 4 is just largely that it has more of what the 3f already has -- but with deeper base and the Audeze sound, and also with a better sound stage.

Ultimately, the only way to go is to listen to the 4 and Utopia in your system, for a few days, if you can get loaners for that long, and then let your ears decide, as they are both great HPs, but they both are quite different in what they each do well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back