Audeze LCD-4
Sep 8, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #6,031 of 12,038
Just want to share with everyone that after trying the following list of headphone cables, the DHC Prion4 will be staying alongside the LCD4. Detailed and dynamic, yet smooth and non-fatiguing. Tonality is excellent. I was skeptical that there would be any real improvement over the Wireworld, but I'm now glad I pulled the trigger. Granted it was a pretty penny and a 10 week wait, but it should at least last me through the LCD-5.. :expressionless:

- Wireworld Nano-Platinum Eclipse
- Wywires Red
- Norne Draug2
- Audeze blue cable
- Audeze black and white cable
It would have been interesting, to me, if you were able to test the Wywires Platinum.
I use that cable on all my current HP's and love the sound.
It's significantly less expensive than the Prion4.
Sounds like the Prion4 blows away the other cables!

Nice comparison...
Cheers,
RCB

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6,032 of 12,038
It would have been interesting, to me, if you were able to test the Wywires Platinum.
I use that cable on all my current HP's and love the sound.
It's significantly less expensive than the Prion4.
Sounds like the Prion4 blows away the other cables!

Nice comparison...
Cheers,
RCB
I tried the Wywires Platinum for a short time about a year ago. I remember having a positive impression but definitely can't recall any details. Blows everything else away may be a stretch, but it definitely brings together the best qualities of all the different cables I've tried and doesn't leave me missing anything. The smoothness of the Wywires red, the details of the Wireworld, the bass and body of the Audeze blue cable. Good stuff...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #6,033 of 12,038
Just received the LCD 4!!!
Holy crap! Huge upgrade over the LCD 3 2016.

The biggest surprise is that extremely crappy mastered tracks sounds sooooo good on the LCD 4. Stuff I could never listen on the LCD 3 sounds great on the LCD 4.
Upgrade worth it!

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #6,034 of 12,038
Holy ****! Huge upgrade over the LCD 3 2016.

The biggest surprise is that extremely ****ty mastered tracks sounds sooooo good on the LCD 4. Stuff I could never listen on the LCD 3 sounds great on the LCD 4.
Upgrade worth it!
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying them. They are at the top of my upgrade list.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #6,036 of 12,038
Holy ****! Huge upgrade over the LCD 3 2016.

The biggest surprise is that extremely ****ty mastered tracks sounds sooooo good on the LCD 4. Stuff I could never listen on the LCD 3 sounds great on the LCD 4.
Upgrade worth it!

Awesome! Congrats! They are still very much one of my very favourite headphones of all time!

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6,037 of 12,038
Just got my LCD-4, my current amp is Auralic Taurus mk ll, thinking to "update" amp section, so to get better amp are is it the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 to go with or are there any other ones that I should consider ? thanks

edit: sorry posted this in "wrong place"

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #6,038 of 12,038
Just got my LCD-4, my current amp is Auralic Taurus mk ll, thinking to "update" amp section, so to get better amp are is it the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 to go with or are there any other ones that I should consider ? thanks

edit: sorry posted this in "wrong place"
The Wells Milo is an excellent pairing with the LCD4.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #6,040 of 12,038
When I recently shopped for new headphones (bought LCD-4) I was also shopping for a matching amp. My three finalists were:

Simaudio Moon 430HA
Pass Labs HPA-1
Headamp GS-x MK2

Any of these would be a spectacular fit with the LCD-4 and I strongly suggest that you consider all three. You may choose otherwise, but I chose the Headamp based on my preference to run in balanced configuration (which I also do via my PS Audio Directstream Jr) and reviewers (particularly Tyll Herstens of Inner Fidelity) who extolled the speed and superb transient response of the amp. But I'm certain I would have been happy with any of these three. Sonically, I will state my belief that the LCD-4 benefits from a high-current solid state amp with a flat and extended frequency response, that is capable of near-perfect square wave responses at all frequencies (e.g., transient response).

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,041 of 12,038
Powering my LCD-4: Woo WA5(for tube happiness)
Cavalli Liquid Gold(for SS accuracy)

The Lau probably gets used more for convenience sake since it sounds as good as it gets after 2 minutes. The WA5 I let warm up for 10 minutes and doesn't seem to reach peak SQ for another 15 minutes.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,042 of 12,038
the Moon 430 does a great job if amp needed....I use the chord Dave myself although I have paired it with the 430

Users who are viewing this thread

Back